Which would you choose for us? Ava or Sophia/Sophie?

I’ve posted a few times lately trying to feel grounded on a beautiful name for our baby girl. Hoping to feel settled on one that compliments our other kiddos.

Leaning towards either Ava or Sophia. Its been so hard to whittle down the list to just these two for first names. We like the option of playful nn like Ava Mae, Sophie Mae or Ava Joy, Sophie Joy.

I’m not too concerned about the repeating S with Sophia. My husband really likes Sophia and I love Sophie but we would compromise and call her both with Sophia as the full name.

With Ava we realize its popular. My only concern is if it sounds harsh or too modern vs. more soft & sweet. I find the name soft personally but was hoping for a name that fits with others. Is Clara (Clair-uh) better? I love Hazel for a first and would pick it in a heartbeat but my husband only likes it for a middle.

Lastly, what do you like best with the other siblings?

Naomi, Ruby, Stella, Leo & Charlotte…

Ava Sophia Mae
Ava Penelope
Ava Josephine
Ava Marigold
Ava Pearl

Sophia Hazel Mae
Sophia Violet Mae
Sophia Ava Mae

I feel like maybe someone has a name combination I haven’t thought of that would be perfect…so Im posting also for inspiration :slight_smile:
We have recently cut out Isabelle & Violet as first names…

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] works better than [name_f]Ava[/name_f]. From your combos, I most like [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f].

1 Like

Ava and Sophia both sound quite modern to me (though I’d describe Sophie as soft and sweet! I like it more as a full name than a nickname, for you). I prefer Clara with your children’s names, but from your list of combos my fave is Sophia Hazel Mae!

Sophia Hazel Mae is my favorite, but I think Clara would go really well with your other kids!

I prefer [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Mae[/name_f], [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] and [name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], but also [name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and [name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] are nice.

I would hyphenate it like [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] Ava-Mae or [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f] Ava-Mae.

I’d use [name_f]Ava[/name_f] - sweet, fresh and fits with your set!

[name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] and [name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] are charming. I like [name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] too!

A few ideas:

[name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] ‘Ava May’
[name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] ‘Ava Lou’
[name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] ‘Ava Bee’
[name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]
[name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_u]Celeste[/name_u]
[name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Madeline[/name_f]

1 Like

I think either work well in the sibset. It depends if you want more soft and sweet vibes (Sophia) than more trendy vibes (Ava)? [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] is more classic/timeless imo. I think [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is too close to [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] unfortunately.

You could compromise and use both with your combo [name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f]. [name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is a stunning combo. I also like Greyblue’s suggestion of [name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] “Ava Bee”.

[name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] is nice (don’t like [name_f]Mae[/name_f] with [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] though) and [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] flows well. I don’t think [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Ava[/name_f] flows as well as [name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f].

[name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f]?

I love [name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] (Ava [name_u]Jo[/name_u] as a nickname?)
Honestly? [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] is significantly more popular than [name_f]Ava[/name_f].
[name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] sounds kind of magical to me too, like a tinkling of bells.
[name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_u]Marian[/name_u]
[name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Seraphine[/name_f]
[name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Taren[/name_f]

1 Like

I really love [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] :heart_eyes:

Both names are super popular so I wouldn’t nix [name_f]Ava[/name_f] over that. I prefer [name_f]Ava[/name_f] with the siblings. [name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] is standing out to me. I also like [name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f].

I love [name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] x

The popularity of [name_f]Ava[/name_f] (no. 4 in the UK compared to [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] at no.12) would really put me off. Of course these stats may not be relevant depending on where you are, but in the US, [name_f]Ava[/name_f] is still one place ahead, so for that reason I’d go with [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]. I prefer [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] to both of them, and it’s less common. I like [name_f]Clara[/name_f] better than all of the above pronounced Clah-ra but not Clair-a.

I really like [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] or [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]. [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] would squeeze in both your top choices. I just think [name_f]Mae[/name_f] is done to death as a middle so a less common middle would balance out the popularity of [name_f]Sophia[/name_f].

1 Like

I have a very similar family to yours! We have [name_u]Max[/name_u], [name_f]Sofie[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Heidi[/name_f], and [name_f]Clara[/name_f], and we’re expecting another girl in [name_u]March[/name_u]. Out of [name_f]Ava[/name_f], [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], and [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], I prefer [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]. It’s a little softer and a little less common, and I obviously like girls’ names that end in an ‘ee’ sound! I do also love [name_f]Clara[/name_f] obviously, and I think it fits well with your other children’s names. I like [name_f]Violet[/name_f] for a middle name for either [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] or [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. I think [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] and [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] work with both too.

(My daughters are [name_f]Sofie[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_u]Wolf[/name_u]. Not sure what we will choose for baby #6. We’re thinking of [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], and [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], among others.)

1 Like

Thank you for the input! Its honestly been so hard to narrow our list down. I feel like I’m going in circles. I do really like [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]. [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is so pretty too. Your children all have such beautiful names. I have a friend from [name_m]Denmark[/name_m] with 2 girls [name_f]Emma[/name_f] & [name_f]Sofie[/name_f]. So I feel like [name_f]Emma[/name_f] is perfect for your baby-but all your choices are beautiful!

1 Like

What do you think of [name_u]Aria[/name_u]? I really like it with your other kids’ names - it came to mind immediately.

I really like [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] “Sophie” for you. I think it compliments your other children’s names really well & it’s personally my favorite overall. [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is also really pretty.

Best wishes!

Thank you for the suggestion! [name_u]Aria[/name_u] is so pretty. I have a dear friend with a daughter named [name_u]Aria[/name_u] otherwise we would really consider it. Also thanks for sharing you like [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] or [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] for us.

1 Like