While we debate Vera and Nora, should we think of a third alternative: Flora?

[name_f]Vera[/name_f] is “my” name and [name_f]Nora[/name_f] is “his” name. On principle we both like the other’s idea. In practice, I think [name_f]Nora[/name_f] is a bit cutesy and he thinks [name_f]Vera[/name_f] is too severe.

We are not against convincing the other to love a name. We have done it with our other children and this is why we have not discarded either one. However, in the spirit of compromise he mentioned another name that we both like: [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. I think it has more substance and presence than [name_f]Nora[/name_f], even if the meaning is actually softer.

And of course there is another thing to consider, our daughter’s name is [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]. Would it be too flowery and themed to have [name_f]Flora[/name_f]?

[name_f]Flora[/name_f]: Yes!!! [name_u]Love[/name_u] that name. And I think it solves the “problems” of [name_f]Nora[/name_f] and [name_f]Vera[/name_f] without introducing any of its own. [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] and [name_f]Flora[/name_f] are not like [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] and [name_f]Posey[/name_f] or [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] and [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] together, meaning, I think it’s fine. Or do I just love [name_f]Flora[/name_f] so much I want it to be fine???

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] is a lovely name, and is on my list too, but I actually prefer [name_f]Vera[/name_f] or [name_f]Nora[/name_f]. Could you not go for a name like [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], with the nickname [name_f]Nora[/name_f], to take away the “cutesy” feeling for more formal situations? Oh and I think all names go fine with your other daughter’s name!

I love [name_f]Flora[/name_f]! I think it’s absolutely gorgeous and the perfect compromise. [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] with sister [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] too!

Edited for privacy.

I agree 100%! [name_f]Flora[/name_f] really is a lovely name and I think it’s the perfect compromise.

Can I offer another compromise that may interest you based on the names you are considering? What about [name_f]Mira[/name_f] (pro. meera)? It is beautiful, and not cutesy nor severe. I prefer it to [name_f]Flora[/name_f].

Best of luck!

We did talk very quickly about [name_f]Mira[/name_f], but its not our cup of tea. Thank you for the suggestion though. At the beginning it wasn’t so much about the two syllables + ra ending but now it seems like it is our inspiration.

I do like [name_f]Flora[/name_f] more than [name_f]Nora[/name_f], and just as much as [name_f]Vera[/name_f] :wink: my only misgiving is the “flower theme”. I’ll keep meditating on it.

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] is beautiful! I like it better than the other two options as well.

I don’t think [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] is too blatant in the flowery theme. It’s not like it’s straight up [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. The variation makes a difference. There are certainly worse links than having two slightly floral themed names in a sibset.

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] is stunning, and I do not think it is too match at all. It really does seem like a great compromise!

Personally, I think [name_f]Nora[/name_f] has more substance than [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. In fact, I’m kind of surprised you find it cutesy. Anyway, [name_f]Flora[/name_f] is fine as a name (not my style) and it goes well with the sib so it it’s something you can agree on that’s great!

Edited for privacy.