Why A Like Limit?

I’m sure the like limit is probably something that no one here at Nameberry has control over, but if you do, I would like to express my discomfort over it. I posted a bunch of threads a couple days ago and I still haven’t caught up on liking all of the replies because once I like so many posts, I have to wait for however many hours before liking anymore.

That’s another thing! [name_f]Every[/name_f] time it says to “wait x hours before trying again”, the number is always different. 16, 18, 21, 6, just a few minutes ago it said 18 minutes. It doesn’t make sense.

Anyway, I don’t know that anyone can do anything about it, but I figured I’d express my concern over it, in case.

2 Likes

The like limit is a Discourse feature, but I can edit it if necessary. I actually recently increased all the like limits by 50% because lots of people in the Memes and Teenberries topics especially were routinely hitting the limit.

I believe the limits are there to prevent spammy behaviour — for example, spambots automatically liking every post from certain accounts to make them rank higher. But honestly, I haven’t seen too much spam since the switchover (have you?), so maybe it’s not a necessary feature for us.

The only thing is that disabling the limits completely will make some of the badges and [name_u]Trust[/name_u] Level-related privileges obsolete.

1 Like

I personally haven’t seen much spam, no.

The fact that it would take those things away makes it difficult to decipher what I would vote to be done here. I guess I would rather have unlimited likes than badges and [name_u]Trust[/name_u] Level privileges, seeing as I would use my likes more. But, ultimately, it is up to all of you at Nameberry.

Thank you for responding so quickly!!

1 Like

It says wait __ hours before trying again, __ hours later I like only two or three posts and reach the limit again!

Yes, that too! I forgot to mention that.

OK, looks like I can’t disable it fully but I’ve further increased the daily like limit to 100 for new/TL1 users, which will give TL2 users 150 likes per day, TL3 200 likes and TL4 300 likes.

Let me know how it goes with these settings. I can always adjust again.

6 Likes

That sounds great! Thank you so much!! I’ll let you know if I have any problems with these new settings.

1 Like

Ok, I’m going to try to explain how the like limit works as to why it’s always a different amount of hours you have to wait every time you reached the limit based on my understanding so @katinka can correct me if I’m wrong

Let’s say the like limit is 50 and you have given the following amount of likes per hour

[name_u]Day[/name_u] 1 Hour 00 | 0 likes
Hr 01 | 3 likes
Hr 02 | 2 likes
Hr 03 | 0 likes
Hr 04 | 0 likes
Hr 05 | 0 likes
Hr 06 | 0 likes
Hr 07 | 0 likes
Hr 08 | 0 likes
Hr 09 | 0 likes
Hr 10 | 5 likes
Hr 11 | 1 likes
Hr 12 | 4 likes
Hr 13 | 10 likes
Hr 14 | 15 likes
Hr 15 | 10 likes
Hr 16 | 0 likes
Hr 17 | 0 likes
Hr 18 | 0 likes
Hr 19 | 0 likes
Hr 20 | 0 likes
Hr 21 | 0 likes
Hr 22 | 0 likes
Hr 23 | 0 likes
[name_u]Day[/name_u] 2 Hr 00 | 0 likes
[name_u]Day[/name_u] 2 Hr 01

So by the end of hour 15, you have now reached your 50 like limit so you’re not going to be able to give likes again til [name_u]Day[/name_u] 2 Hr 01 which is about 9-10 hours of waiting.

When [name_u]Day[/name_u] 2 Hr 01 comes, look at the last 24 hours from this point. Notice you can now only give 3 likes before your reach the 50 like limit in the last 24 hours and then you will have to once again wait another hour because on [name_u]Day[/name_u] 1 Hr 01, you only gave 3 likes.

When [name_u]Day[/name_u] 2 Hr 02 comes around, you then quickly give another 2 likes, once again causing you to quickly reach your limit within the last 24 hours because you only gave 2 likes on [name_u]Day[/name_u] 1 Hr 02. So now you have to wait another 7-8 hours before you can give more likes.

I hope this made sense

5 Likes

I think you’ve got it, @KaiLun. Thanks for helping me get my (very non-mathematical) head around it too!

1 Like

Yeah, I may be the only or one of the few math nerds in here :joy:

1 Like

That makes a lot of sense, thank you!