why are boy's names so difficult?!

help! my husband and i are expecting our first baby in just 4 short weeks and we still can’t decide on a name. to be honest, we haven’t even been able to narrow it down to a top 3. we’d love to find a name that’s somewhat unique, but not totally out there (although we do have a few on our list that are certainly more traditional). we’re open to spending a few days with him before making a decision, but at this rate, I feel like we’ll never find a name! any advice and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. here’s what we’ve come up with so far…

elliott
samuel (sam)
river
dashiel (dash)
duran
jude
jullian
ever
arrow
dylan
jett
felix

thank you, berries!!!

We are in the same position. My husband and I have gone through literally thousands of names trying to find something that we like for this baby (we never had this trouble with girls names!) and still have nothing we are really in love with. My style might be a bit more traditional than yours, but among everything we have passed over here are some names we have given more consideration to:
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Tobin[/name]
[name]Finlay[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Arlo[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]August[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Angus[/name]
[name]Rafferty[/name]
[name]Ambrose[/name]

Good luck! I’m totally with you, boys names are hard!

I think [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Jude[/name] would make a fantastic name. I also love [name]Elliott[/name], [name]Samuel[/name], [name]River[/name], and [name]Felix[/name]. Good luck! I think you have a few great ones to choose from, and it may just take seeing him for the 1st time to really just know what to name him.

We had the same problem with girls names because I just couldn’t find the right one. From your list I really like, [name]Elliott[/name], [name]Felix[/name], [name]Dylan[/name] and [name]Jet[/name]. I will suggest [name]Jax[/name], [name]Everett[/name], [name]Maxwell[/name], [name]Bennett[/name], [name]Micah[/name], [name]Caleb[/name] and [name]Noah[/name].

From your list I like: [name]Elliot[/name], [name]Jude[/name] and [name]Julian[/name] (but this spelling of it)
If you like [name]Samuel[/name], [name]Samson[/name] is still very similar but there is a HUGE difference in the popularity, so that would help with your wish for something more unique.
Some other names you might like (which are basically just names that I love): [name]Arley[/name], [name]August[/name]/[name]Augustus[/name], [name]Crispin[/name], [name]Dorian[/name], [name]Isaac[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Linus[/name], [name]Malachy[/name], [name]Oscar[/name], [name]Phineas[/name], [name]Reuben[/name], [name]Rhett[/name], [name]Ronan[/name], [name]Theodore[/name] & [name]Tobiah[/name]/[name]Tobias[/name]

[name]Elliott[/name] and [name]Felix[/name] are on our list, but I definitely hear you–I still don’t [name]LOVE[/name] any of our names… We’re having twins, so I’m just hoping it’s not 2 boys or we’re going to be in for a nightmare picking names! Here’s our list, in case you see anything you like:

[name]Maxwell[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Grey[/name] (mn only–it’s a family name)
[name]Peter[/name] (ditto [name]Grey[/name])
[name]Hudson[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Edmund[/name]
[name]Robert[/name]
[name]Elliott[/name]

I could name boys all day long. I find girls names [name]WAY[/name] more difficult. [name]Truth[/name] be told, I didn’t love my daughter’s name until after she was born; because I didn’t have a single girls name that I truly was in love with, I decided to look to family connections when naming her. My grandmother’s name is [name]Lois[/name]. Adding an “E” to either end gave us [name]Eloise[/name], which was a perfect way to honor her while still giving her a name that we liked a lot. (And a nickname we loved–[name]Lola[/name].)

My point is, if you’re not in love with any of the names, maybe try to choose one that seems the most meaningful to you? Either something with a family connection or a meaning you really love.

That being said, of your choices (original poster) I love [name]Elliot[/name] (which is what my [name]Eloise[/name] would have been called had she been a boy!) as well as [name]Samuel[/name], [name]Dashiell[/name], [name]Jude[/name] and [name]Felix[/name]. I also like other posters suggestions of [name]August[/name], [name]Theodore[/name], and [name]Hudson[/name].

[name]Dylan[/name] [name]Ever[/name] [name]Arrow[/name]… :heart::heart::heart:

I think [name]Dashiell[/name], [name]Jude[/name] & [name]Arrow[/name] are lovely for something slightly less traditional :slight_smile:

We never agreed on a boys name but [name]Felix[/name] was hubbys fav and mine was [name]Fergus[/name] luckily we had a girl :slight_smile:

Suggestions:
[name]Quinlan[/name]
[name]Willoughby[/name]
[name]Emilio[/name]
[name]Rupert[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]/[name]Tobin[/name]
[name]Ignatius[/name] “iggy/nate”
[name]Orlando[/name]
[name]Phineas[/name]
[name]Abel[/name]
[name]Solomon[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name]
[name]Dominic[/name]
[name]Fabio[/name]
[name]Giovanni[/name]
[name]Hamish[/name]
[name]Jethro[/name]
[name]Keanu[/name]
[name]Linden[/name]
[name]Zander[/name]
[name]Cosmo[/name]
[name]Vincent[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Nico[/name]
[name]Matthias[/name]

From your list, I like [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]River[/name] or [name]Felix[/name] [name]Ever[/name].

I feel you! In the same boat. It’s so hard for me to loooove a boys name!

Here’s a vote for [name]Samuel[/name] on your list! So handsome!

[name_m]Samuel[/name_m], [name_u]Jude[/name_u] and [name_u]Dylan[/name_u] are definitely the best 3 names on this list but it also depends on sibling names

I’m really loving [name_m]Samuel[/name_m]/[name_u]Sam[/name_u], [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m]/[name_u]Dash[/name_u], [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] (although I prefer [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]), [name_u]Jude[/name_u], and [name_m]Julian[/name_m]. [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] being my favorite. :slight_smile: I like the suggestions of [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_u]Everett[/name_u], [name_m]Caleb[/name_m], [name_m]Phineas[/name_m], [name_m]Ronan[/name_m], [name_m]Ezra[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_m]Tobin[/name_m], etc.

What about:

[name_m]Lucian[/name_m]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u]
[name_m]Zane[/name_m]
[name_u]Emmett[/name_u]
[name_m]Josiah[/name_m]
[name_m]Grant[/name_m]
[name_u]Asa[/name_u]
[name_m]Holden[/name_m]
[name_u]Emerson[/name_u]
[name_m]Killian[/name_m]/[name_m]Cillian[/name_m]
[name_m]Ciaran[/name_m]/[name_u]Kieran[/name_u]
[name_u]Tiernan[/name_u]
Truett/Truitt
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]
[name_m]George[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]
[name_m]Xavier[/name_m]
[name_m]Linus[/name_m]
[name_m]Leopold[/name_m]

Good luck!

I love [name_u]Jude[/name_u], [name_u]River[/name_u] (great seeing this for a boy), [name_u]Dylan[/name_u] and [name_m]Felix[/name_m].

[name_u]Elliott[/name_u], [name_m]Samuel[/name_m]/[name_u]Sam[/name_u], Dashiel/[name_u]Dash[/name_u] and [name_m]Jullian[/name_m] are nice enough but they don’t seem ‘special’ to me.

I personally wouldn’t use -
[name_m]Duran[/name_m] (like, [name_m]Duran[/name_m] [name_m]Duran[/name_m]?)
[name_u]Ever[/name_u]
[name_m]Arrow[/name_m]
[name_m]Jett[/name_m]

Those sort of ‘tough/cool’ word names aren’t my thing (although I secretly like [name_m]Tripp[/name_m]), and honestly I wouldn’t be able to take anyone called [name_m]Arrow[/name_m] or [name_m]Jett[/name_m] seriously.

My husband and I are the same! We had this trouble with boy #1 and now we are expecting boy #2… We have about 4 girls names we both love, but no boys ones!

I will suggest:

[name_m]Xavier[/name_m] (my son’s name)
[name_m]Xander[/name_m]
[name_u]Evan[/name_u]
[name_m]Eli[/name_m]
[name_m]Elijah[/name_m]
[name_m]Nash[/name_m]
[name_u]Quinn[/name_u]
[name_m]Beau[/name_m]
[name_u]Ari[/name_u]
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]