WHY DO PEOPLE ACTUALLY LIKE THIS NAME?

I do not understand why so many people name their kids [name]Mary[/name]. It’s such an ugly name. For goodness sakes it mean BITTER! If you like it for [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Joseph[/name], that was a loser move. Her name wasn’t [name]Mary[/name], IT WAS [name]MIRIAM[/name]! [name]Miriam[/name] btw mean wished for child. So it’s a triple win; better sounding, better meaning, closer religious wise!

I really don’t want to offend people. I just really want to know why people name their daughters this?

Hmm, I never knew [name]Mary[/name]'s name was [name]Miriam[/name]. I prefer the sound and look of [name]Mary[/name] to [name]Miriam[/name]. I think [name]Mary[/name] is sweet and understated, classic and confident. I like it because it’s uncommon now, but there have been so many great women named [name]Mary[/name]. I like it because it makes for a great double-name. I like that it’s a professional, grown-up name, but it’s -y ending makes it sound sweet for a young girl. I like that it packs a lot of punch into only 4 letters. I also like it because it sounds like merry. I like that she would share her name with (arguably) the best mother of all time, and being a great mother is something I would wish for my daughter.

The only thing I don’t like about [name]Mary[/name] is that it’s meaning is “bitter”.

I didn’t used to love [name]Mary[/name]. I’ve only started liking it in the last year or so… I’m not sure what caused the switch, but my favorite double-name is now [name]Mary[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name].

I understand and appreciate your opinion. I like your reasons for being pro-[name]Mary[/name]. I just wanted to pin point that [name]Mary[/name] is actually #97 in the ranks right now I believe…

[name]Mary[/name] is a wonderful name, but it is out of style. I’m sure that it will come back in style sometime in the next twenty years. [name]Mary[/name] means “bitter” - that is true. But when you pair [name]Mary[/name] with a name that means sweet, you would get bittersweet. I love bittersweet chocolate. I will see if I can find a name that means sweet.
Okay, I didn’t find a name that means sweet and that I like with [name]Mary[/name], but how about [name]Beatrice[/name] or any name that means happy or grace?
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Ann[/name], but I really love [name]Marian[/name]!
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Bea[/name] or what about [name]Mary[/name] [name]Bee[/name]?
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Rose[/name] - Roses smell sweet. I love [name]Rosemary[/name]!

Hmm, #97, really? I tend to think top 100 (and top 1,000) names are common, but I never hear of any babies named [name]Mary[/name]. The youngest [name]Mary[/name] I know is 20.

I like your reasons for liking [name]Miriam[/name]. I think I just don’t like [name]Miriam[/name] because one of my best friends dated one in high school and I really didn’t like her.

Ooh, what a cute idea. The only name I can think of that means sweet is [name]Dulce[/name] (and variants)

First, what you posted is not the whole story of the name [name]Mary[/name].
According to [name]George[/name] R Stewarts’s “American Given Names”:

The name recorded in early Hebrew texts was M-R-Y-M, the Greeks rendered this as [name]Mariam[/name]. Speakers of Latin took the final “m” as a marker of the accusative case and assumed a nominative [name]Maria[/name].

Meanings are offered ranging from “rebellion” to “fat” - none of them being at all convincing. Probably the solution is that the name is not really Hebrew, but is of some other language, and was merely taken over as a name without reference to meaning. Since [name]Miriam[/name] was the sister of [name]Moses[/name], an Egyption origin would be possible, or even more likely.

So basically [name]Mary[/name] only means bitter if it’s a Hebrew name, but it’s probably not.

Well considering [name]Mary[/name] herself was Jewish! One who wishes to name their child [name]Mary[/name] for biblical reasons is a candidate for the Hebrew meaning. Some might mistaken [name]Mary[/name] for [name]Merry[/name]. Which is kind of ironic. And I actually know a bunch of [name]Mary[/name]'s younger than twenty. It is especially popular as a middle name.

I would not name my child [name]Mary[/name] BUT considering what people like in a name I can understand why [name]Mary[/name] is popular. [name]Mary[/name], [name]Marie[/name], [name]Marney[/name], [name]Macy[/name], [name]Maddie[/name]… once letter different can hardly make the name hideous

Personally I think using words like [name]Scout[/name], [name]Rain[/name], [name]Sloane[/name] is a much greater crime than naming a baby a name that is, and was, traditionally a ‘name’ such as [name]Mary[/name]

What Devon7 is trying to explain to you, not that I think you care, is that even before [name]Mary[/name] mother of [name]Jesus[/name] was [name]Mary[/name] (or MRYM) the origin of the name was unclear. Shockingly, the Hebrews had been around for a very long time and had interacted and intermarried with many other cultures. Along the way they adapted many words and names into their culture AND language. So, while MRYM may mean “bitter” it may not! And the name has certainly grown to have connotations outside of the name’s meaning.

Names and their meanings are rarely as clear as they seem. Especially biblical ones. It is fine not to like a name, we all do, but it is silly to bash a name in all caps.

Because it’s a pretty little name. A little overused for some hundreds of years, but it is not an ugly name. A lot of people don’t care to look too deeply at meanings - there are a lot of popular names with meanings you would not say are good, or some neutral in a pleasant way. A lot of people name their children from the bible or from other people who had the name. If you are actually looking into the namesake side of things, the name [name]MARY[/name] can mean Grandma, or just a good old fashioned simpler time in the world when a lot of little girls were named [name]Mary[/name], who are now in their 30s to 90s.

I mean, it’s nothing to get too bunched up about. Listen to the word, [name]Mary[/name]. It is not that horrible. It doesn’t have to be biblically accurate to stand in for anything. It can be beside the story, or it can go along with how the name is spoken in church. We don’t have to dig too deep into the etymology, everyone calls her [name]Mary[/name], and from what I understand, she’s kind of a big deal to some people, so why the all-caps?

I happen to love some names that are more along the meaning of “the sea,” but I think it’s hard to distinguish the name [name]Mary[/name] if it means “bitter” from names that sound like they are related which refer instead to “the sea.” Indeed, some people say the name means “sea of bitterness,” which I’m pretty sure must be some sort of confusion or revision where two languages got mushed together so words that sound the same appear to be derived from a single source, and a lot of name sites repeating or not being very thorough about definitions.

For example, my name is [name]Karen[/name], which is derived from [name]Katherine[/name]. Most sites will say it means “pure,” but Behind the Names reports that the etymology is debated, that the source of all names of [name]Katherine[/name] could mean “each of the two,” “torture,” or “my consecration in thy name,” depending on what Greek word it may have been built from. By the [name]Christian[/name] era, it was associated with the word “katharos” meaning “pure,” and that was that, except for some nerds who really think this might be a cover-up. [name]Do[/name] I let that my name might mean something worse bother me? Not at all.

My favorite name related to [name]Mary[/name] is [name]Mariana[/name], and I also like [name]Marie[/name] a lot. They sound pretty and mean “sounds pretty” to me.

[name]Just[/name] so everyone knows MRYM isn’t it. It’s Marir. That’s the word [name]Mary[/name] comes from.

I would like to appologize. It wasn’t very sensitive of me to describe [name]Mary[/name] as ugly. I now have a better understanding of the name.

Eazy we all have driffrent taste in names
Maryis a nice name but on an older person
I don’t like names people love
[name]Lola[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Maddox[/name]

One of my best friends is a [name]Mary[/name] (mid 20s) and she really likes her name. This is understandable when you hear that this was a last minute switch from [name]Joy[/name]! Also, she comments that no-one else our age group is called [name]Mary[/name] - something i envy greatly being an [name]Emma[/name]!

I wouldn’t chose the name [name]Mary[/name] for my daughter, but how can you hate a name so much? Does it have personal relevance for you? Had a bad experience with a [name]Mary[/name]? Thats the great thing about names, they are very subjective. As long as people are calling their daughthers [name]Mary[/name], Mirim, [name]Margaret[/name] etc, there are less Harriets, Romillys, Bridgets and other names i favour, which makes them less popular - all the better for me! x

I really love names that begin with [name]Mar[/name]-. I think [name]Mary[/name] is a very pretty name and haven’t met a child with the name [name]Mary[/name]. I can only recall ever knowing a [name]Marianne[/name] and a [name]Mary[/name] [name]Jane[/name].
My daughter’s name is [name]Mia[/name] and many places list it as meaning “bitter”. The baby name book I had at the time said it meant “mine”. Which as an Italian word it means “my or mine”. Had I known it could also mean “bitter” I wouldn’t have changed my mind about it using it. Some names I love for the meaning but I if I love a name for the sound, the meaning is unimportant to me.

I wonder if the name [name]Mary[/name] retains as high a popularity due to the fact some Catholics name their daughters (or at least the first one? I don’t know the custom) [name]Mary[/name], who go by their middle name. It’s on the birth certificate and at the christening, but after that, you just know them by what they are called, so maybe you do know some secretly [name]Marys[/name], or not enough traditional Catholics. I know a young lady in her teens, but she is, I believe on her mother’s side, Latina, her full name is [name]Maria[/name] [name]Alejandra[/name] (non-Latin surname) and goes by [name]Alejandra[/name]. I love to hear her name, [name]Ah[/name]-lay-hon-dra.

[name]Maria[/name] is ranked #64, and I believe it is due to this custom holding firmer in Latino communities and cultures than it does for non-Latinos, but I think it’s the same principle that accounts for [name]Mary[/name] not losing much popularity compared to other top names of the past eras.

[name]Hi[/name]! I like the name [name]Mary[/name] because I’ve known many wonderful people with the name, and because despite its “bitter” meaning, it sounds cheerful to me, probably because it reminds me of the word “merry.”

The [name]Mary[/name]'s I’ve known have been very cheerful people, which really influenced my view of the name. I also love the name [name]Marielle[/name].

Take care! :slight_smile:

I really dislike the name mary. I went to catholic school and knew far too many of them. It seems too plain and boring, similar to jane in book, although I know many are coming to love jane. I think it could be better as my current choice [name]Mara[/name] or even [name]Marianna[/name], but [name]Mary[/name] just screams boring and religious to me.

Everyone keeps on saying that [name]Mary[/name] means bitter. There are a lot of theories about the name’s meaning, and bitter seems the least plausible to me. For more information:

[name]Mary[/name] seems like a name a grandma or aunt would have. For me, that would be why I would use it. I have some family names that I dont [name]LOVE[/name]-but I love the people WITH the name and want to honor my child by using the name :slight_smile: