Why do we all love Clementine?

So, I adore the name [name]Clementine[/name]. And it seems that I’m certainly not alone in this affinity. So what do you think it is about this name that attracts us to it so much?

Aside from its vintage appeal to me, I love [name]Clementine[/name] because it sounds cheerful and energetic while still feeling elegant and sophisticated. To me, it’s the best of both worlds: A cheerful, perky little girl and a sophisticated adult.

I remember hearing this name when I was little (I believe I read it in article about [name]Cybill[/name] [name]Shepherd[/name] and her kids), and I thought it was the best name ever! :slight_smile:

What about it do you like?

Take care! :slight_smile:

I didn’t like the name before nameberry, only because I don’t like the [name]Clem[/name] nickname, and that was what the only [name]Clementine[/name] I have ever come across went by. Here [name]Cleo[/name] is often suggested as a nn, and I love that! I also think [name]Clementine[/name] is cheerful and pretty and elegant, and has a lovely vintage vibe without being at all clunky. It’s beautiful!

As one of the site’s few visitors who dislike [name]Clementine[/name], I can’t answer from personal experience. I guess people like it because it’s old enough to be cool, it’s rare, and it has the -ine at the end.

It has been quite popular in the UK for some time now, and like with all other names, it starts to lose its appeal when that happens. However, I can still see that it is a pretty name, particularly when pronounced ClementEEN and not ClementEYEn, I feel.

It’s darling.

– [name]Nephele[/name]

it is currently my fave name i love it.

[name]Love[/name] that [name]Cleo[/name] can be a nn for [name]Clementine[/name]… Adorable :slight_smile:

My grandpa bought us an orange record player when we were little and a bunch of records. We got to keep the record player in our bedroom. We had a record with a bunch of cowboy music on it, and one of the songs was “Oh my darlin’ [name]Clementine[/name]”. I always loved that song. Then when I heard the French pronunciation clem-en-TEEN, I loved the name even more. When I came on Nameberry and someone suggested [name]Cleo[/name] for a nn, I just started loving [name]Clementine[/name] so much! I also love [name]Clotilda[/name] which is not very popular. [name]Love[/name] that “Cl” sound.

[name]Don[/name]'t throw stones…I’m not a fan of [name]Clementine[/name]. [name]Susan[/name], I knew I heard it in a song somewhere. I was thinking it was She’ll Be Coming Around the Mountain but knew it didn’t sound exactly right. I think of the little citrus fruit, clementines. Give me another month or so on this site and I’m sure it will grow on me. Or really all would take is for me to meet a little darling with this name and I would cave in. [name]Brown[/name] ringlets and a little yellow dress.

If we all loved exactly the same names this site would get boring don’t you think? I love hearing names I’ve never heard before or maybe never thought I would consider. Names I would have probably said I “hated” a while ago I can now say I am appreciate them all though they’re not my particular style. I know I’ve liked some names that most did not. Lirit??? What was I thinking?

I think the fruit connection is adorable, actually, lol, and it’s fun to say. When I was a kid, my only association was Forgetful [name]Jones[/name] on [name]Sesame[/name] [name]Street[/name] singing “Oh my darlin’ [name]Clementine[/name],” which was just awful, but when I encountered the fruit I decided that it was kind of cool but I didn’t imagine it would gain wide usage anywhere. It’s not a favorite but I think it’s fun.

Maybe it’s the “twang” in that song that I automatically attach to the name. I guess I should hear other voices say it.
Virtualmom - Paisely :slight_smile: I actually liked [name]Paley[/name] or [name]Palin[/name] before [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Palin[/name] of course. So I can see the appeal of [name]Paisley[/name].
My sister Aprils nn is Apricot so yes fruit does have an appeal as a name. Look at [name]Apple[/name]. It’s not appealing to me but hey it’s not [name]Banana[/name].

disa_lan, “[name]Banana[/name]” – LOL!

Speaking of fruit and vegetable names, for the longest time I simply adored “Aubergine” as a possible girl’s name. I thought of the deep purplish-black color. It sounded tr”s gothique.

But then a British person informed me that, over in [name]England[/name], “Aubergine” is a common word for “eggplant.”

Okay, I already knew it meant “eggplant” in French, but I wasn’t aware that it was also a common English word for the eggplant. So, that sort of cooled my jets regarding Aubergine. But I still like thinking of “Aubergine” as being the name of that dramatic purplish-black color. And I sure like the way it sounds.

– [name]Nephele[/name]

If babies start getting named [name]Banana[/name] then I’m setting my course for the moon and I’m not coming back.

Aubergine is a beautiful name and I had no idea it meant eggplant. It reminds me of a prettier version of [name]Aubrey[/name]. I also like color names, [name]Violet[/name] is one but my all time favorite is [name]Indigo[/name]. I love the the color and the name is so fun to say. It’s a total “no go” with my husband (he spoils everything) he says it sounds like a hippie name :frowning: I do like [name]Sage[/name] for a middle name so maybe I have a slightly “hippie/granola” naming style.
[name]Romaine[/name] has always had appeal to me too but I can’t shake the lettuce association.

Like many people, I didn’t like this name before Nameberry. I always thought it was kind of cute, but my mom kept saying “Ew” or “It sounds like the orange” so I didn’t really care for it. But now I adore it.
And I discovered the nickname [name]Cleo[/name] for it because of the lovely people on Nameberry, and I fell in love with it even more. It also seems to fit every age, and it’s perky and happy… [name]Just[/name] an all around great name.

What about Cleome (pro. clee-OH-mee) as an alternative? It’s a flower. I see the nn [name]Cleo[/name].