Why do you dislike Francine?

I don’t dislike [name_f]Francine[/name_f]! I do, however, quite dislike the instinctive nicknames [name_f]Francie[/name_f], [name_u]Fran[/name_u], and (especially) [name_f]Franny[/name_f], so I could probably never actually use [name_f]Francine[/name_f]. [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] is ok. No offense meant to anyone who likes these nicknames, they’re just really not for me.

I also just personally prefer other [name_u]Fran[/name_u]- names, especially [name_f]Francesca[/name_f], for which I prefer to use the nickname Cesca or Cessie/Chessie.

1 Like

I personally just don’t care for the sound, particularly the ending, and it’s just nms. But I think it’s fine for other people. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like [name_f]Francine[/name_f]! :slight_smile:

I do slightly prefer [name_f]Frances[/name_f] though

1 Like

Because she’s not nice to [name_m]Arthur[/name_m].
In seriousness, I dislike the name [name_f]Francine[/name_f] because it sounds pretentious, yet trashy, and like something you would name a poodle.

1 Like

I have mixed feelings on [name_f]Francine[/name_f]. I don’t hate it, but I don’t necessarily like it. I think I prefer [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] or [name_f]Francesca[/name_f].

1 Like

I love it

2 Likes

I think people often dislike the -ine sound. Like plasticine. Almost like a man-made product.

2 Likes

I like [name_f]Francine[/name_f]. It’s a bit dated in my opinion, but definitely softer, prettier, and more fresh than [name_f]Frances[/name_f]. I’m not a huge fan of Fanny/Franny… overall I wouldn’t use [name_f]Francine[/name_f] but I’d be very charmed to meet a little [name_f]Francine[/name_f].

1 Like

I like [name_f]Francine[/name_f]! It’s spunky and bright and distinctive. I do prefer [name_f]Frances[/name_f], though–it just sounds a little cozier to me, which is literally the most subjective description ever, so I guess I’m not much help in the “why” department :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I was expecting more negative responses! It’s nice to know that [name_f]Francine[/name_f] is a generally liked name.

1 Like

I like it! I think of a wise-cracking 1950s/1960s girl on Mad Men or Mrs. Maisel.

1 Like

I do like it, especially with the nn [name_u]Frankie[/name_u]!

2 Likes

I don’t dislike it but having the -een ending which was very trendy mid century it does have a slightly dated feel like [name_f]Maureen[/name_f], [name_f]Darlene[/name_f], [name_f]Christine[/name_f] etc. to me.

As a name I think it sounds quite sleek and a lot more stylish than most of the een names, especially as it has great nickname potential.

1 Like

I just can’t picture anyone under 60 with the name, I guess. I also don’t like [name_u]Fran[/name_u], [name_f]Franny[/name_f] or the name [name_f]Frances[/name_f]. It doesn’t help that I have a terrible association with the name [name_u]Fran[/name_u].

1 Like

I like [name_f]Francine[/name_f]!

2 Likes

[name_f]Francine[/name_f] is my favorite girl’s name. It is my beautiful daughter’s name! I’ve always thought it was Dreamy, Fashionable, and Exuberant! The name [name_f]Francine[/name_f] fits my daughter’s gorgeous face, bright eyes, lively wit, and outgoing personality. I couldn’t imagine a more perfect name!

3 Likes

I really dislike this name.

Mostly for the sound (in English) that hard [name_u]Anne[/name_u] sound followed by eeeeen. It sounds harsh and offputting without being chic etc.

I really like [name_f]Frances[/name_f] which to me sound timeless and elegant. I also like [name_f]Francesca[/name_f], which strikes me as bubbly and good-natured. so I guess to me [name_f]Francine[/name_f] suffers from comparison to these obvious alternatives.

1 Like

I like it. I mean its a big site so taste’s are different. I think [name_f]Francine[/name_f] is an acquired taste and you can’t be too put out that not everybody likes it.

1 Like