Why Do You Read?

Why do you like to read and love books, those of you book lovers?

4 Likes

(I already posted this on the lounge, but here it is again :blush:)

I love books because they let you experience a whole other world besides your own. Some of my favorite books are the simple one’s that just tell the life of a person, like the Anne of Green Gables books and the Penny Parish books. I wasn’t alive during those times(obviously :joy:) but they feel so nostalgic and like you’re growing up with the characters. Both of those series inspired some large phases of mine. After reading Anne of Green Gables and watching the movies, I had a phase of romanticizing war(which was a PHASE I don’t agree with that anymore) and I wanted to be a nurse. The Penny Parish books made me really want the types of relationships in that book(which I didn’t really have at the time). I also love fantasy books and seeing new worlds that I never knew existed. I get really attached to characters and it’s like I know them. One of my other favorite books is The Nightingale and I really like historical fiction. I don’t really like to just read history books but having it as a novel helps me learn and makes me love history. Books are just wonderful! I love transporting into someone else’s story for a while. It can also help you forget the bad/stressful things happening in your own life.

6 Likes

I’m a huge book worm and read almost anything. I really enjoy neo-gothic, literary fiction and sci fi. I actually get a lot of naming inspiration from books I read.

I discovered the name ‘Fleetwood’ in neo-gothic mystery that I read months ago called ‘The Familiars’. I’ve always loved Fleetwood Mac but I didn’t realise that it was actually a first name used for woman in the 18th century. It’s now a staple on my UC. A few other names from books that I love are:

Rosewyn
Huckleberry
‘Franny’ Frances
Steina
Sigrid

My favourite books are Burial Rites by Hannah Kent, The Last Migration by Charlotte McConaghy and The Secret History by Donna Tart.

4 Likes

There are so many reasons to read! It can be to experience different worlds or stories, to learn something, to feel something, to see characters that go through some of the same things you do (and sometimes understand yourself better). However, my favorite thing about reading fiction is that it builds empathy. You are exposed to other perspectives and stories, and it is an excellent reminder that other people have their own thoughts, emotions, and lives. It helps to take you out of yourself.

3 Likes

I will preface this that I have always loved books, but I am dyslexic and I was 11/12 before I could actually read above a kindergarten level.

My mom always read to me as a kid, and I had a set of [name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_u]Golden[/name_u] Books I would have her read to me every night, and even though I couldn’t read I had them memorized word for word and would say them aloud with her. I have a LOT of siblings, so those nights spent reading with her were really special to me.

After I was in school, I was bullied a lot for not being able to read, amongst other things (by teachers and students alike) so when I got to fifth grade I decided that I was going to read and picked up a Boxcar children’s book… and finished reading it by the next day. It was like a switch flipped in my head and after that I could and did read anything I could get my hands on. In the next two years I read every Boxcar Children, [name_f]Nancy[/name_f] [name_u]Drew[/name_u], [name_m]Hank[/name_m] the Cowdog, [name_f]Fear[/name_f] [name_f]Street[/name_f], Goosebumps and all the little historical diary type books our school library had. By the time I was in high school, I had read every book our school library and most teachers in-classroom libraries had to offer (I even had a teacher tell my mom she was concerned that I “read too much” :joy:). [name_m]Reading[/name_m] was my escape and my comfort as a kid. I have Bipolar II, OCD, and chronic depression (that went undiagnosed until I was in college) and I had zero friends growing up so reading was my solace and finishing a lot of series was my literal reason to keep living most of that time. I could and did read a book a day until I started my first job post-college (and I can still average a good 150-200 most years). I am a lot pickier and conscientious about what I read now, and I do tend to lean more towards theological and poetry books these days which are a little more time consuming. Books are just a constant, and you can live so many lives and experiences through others stories. Its magic. And as an empath who has a very emotionally and draining job (that has high suicide rates because of “compassion fatigue” as well as the high stress involved) and I already have mental health issues and reading is a much needed escape from that.

5 Likes

Are you a veterinarian?

1 Like

Reading has always fueled my imagination, and its also been a way for me and my dad to connect with one another.
I love that it transports me to different worlds, but I think, what I love most is that a good book feels like a nice warm hot chocolate on a cold winters day!

5 Likes

I will post why I read when I am in a better place emotionally. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Take care :revolving_hearts:

2 Likes

I am not. I work in the corrections field :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have accepted that I am just going to cry while writing this, so I might as well go ahead.

Books are part of the reason that I am still alive today. I developed OCD at the age of five and kept it a secret until I was eighteen. For over a decade, I struggled in agonizing silence. But through that decade, I had books. I read constantly, cherishing every story that I could get my hands on. I held admirable characters close to my heart and tried desperately to be like them. In middle school, when my OCD became paired with generalized and social anxiety, I read all the time because it was a comforting escape.

Now, I read because it is a privilege and an honor to see how someone else lives. I read because there is always something new to learn. I read because I know who I am now, so I can read other people’s stories with more enjoyment than ever before.

8 Likes

As a child, it let me escape from a not-so happy place to a happier one. I wasn’t ever popular and struggled socially in school. It left me with some social anxiety that just didn’t exist in books. Either the people were similar to me and let me work through my feelings or were so different I could escape.

Now I try and read for information and new perspectives. So books by POC and non-fiction are my current go-tos. I don’t have anywhere near as much time as I would like these days though.

5 Likes

I know how you feel. I also developed OCD at 4 and wasn’t diagnosed until my early 20s. Books helped me so much :heart:

2 Likes