Why does nobody like our choice? ):

We don’t know what we’re having yet - so we have plenty of time to keep arguing over boys and girls names- but I absolutly [name]LOVE[/name] the boys name [name]Norris[/name]. I just love it.
However, just when the fiancé starts to repeat it in context and get used to it and like it - one of our friends or family members makes a remark about how much they dislike it.

:frowning: I really wanted to carry down the family middle name of [name]Jon[/name], too.

[name]Norris[/name] [name]Jon[/name] [name]Gordon[/name]

I love it so much … Why doesn’t anyone else? :-/

I’m very particular when it comes to flow (sound) and the beauty (look) of a name combo so here is my opinion.

1 I don’t like the [name]NOR[/name] and GOR of the first and last name ([name]Norris[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] just doesn’t sound good)
2 I don’t like the ON in [name]Jon[/name] and [name]Gordon[/name]
3 [name]Norris[/name] is similar to [name]Morris[/name] and it makes me think of [name]Morris[/name] the [name]Cat[/name] (the finicky cat on the 9Lives commercials) more than a human

But if you don’t mind the issues I’ve stated above and you [name]LOVE[/name] the name, then go for it!

[name]Chuck[/name] [name]Norris[/name].

It sounds very surname-y and then in a cartoon kind of way, not something to take seriously ([name]Carter[/name], [name]Taylor[/name], I can take seriously, for instance). [name]Norris[/name] just doesn’t work very well as a first name to me.

I have to agree with mischa… I don’t think [name]Norris[/name] flows nicely with [name]Gordon[/name]. I don’t hate the name though. I wouldn’t use it, but I think it’s a nice take on the “surname trend” going on for boys’ names. [name]Norris[/name] seems soft and handsome at the same time.

[name]Chuck[/name] [name]Norris[/name] was my first thought too. I don’t think that he’s the only association that people will have with the name, but I do think that there’s a pretty strong connection there.

I don’t really love the flow of [name]NORris[/name] [name]GORdon[/name], personally, but I think that you’re mostly just getting bad reactions because because the name is very off-trend. It hasn’t been in the top 1000 for quite some time, and it doesn’t really have any sounds in common with names that are near the tops of the popularity charts. Not to say that that makes it unusable necessarily (my main issues with it, personally, are the flow and the [name]Chuck[/name] [name]Norris[/name] issue), but I think that those are the reasons that people aren’t warming to it right away.

Oh god…yeah I was so hoping that it was a nice name and that I could sympathize with you…but [name]Chuck[/name] [name]Norris[/name]. And it is just very nasally and kind of wimpy sounding…I’m sorry but I agree with you family and friends …its awful!

[name]Jon[/name] [name]Norris[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] would be better [name]IMO[/name]…it flows more nicely, and even though TECHNICALLY the [name]Nor[/name] and the Gor are closer together in this combination, children are seldom called by all 3 names out in the world. At school, he’d be [name]Jon[/name] [name]Gordon[/name]. At home, he could be [name]Norris[/name], or [name]Jon[/name] [name]Norris[/name]. But if he were named [name]Norris[/name] [name]Jon[/name] [name]Gordon[/name], he’d be [name]Norris[/name] [name]Gordon[/name], which as other berries have pointed out, just doesn’t sound right, or flow well.

I [name]DO[/name] like the name [name]Norris[/name] - it’s different, without being too weird. Sadly, it just doesn’t sound it’s best when paired with [name]Gordon[/name]. Everyone probably has names like this - I KNOW I do. Names that they [name]LOVE[/name], but that don’t sound good when paired with other names - either family names or last names.

I actually think [name]Norris[/name] would be a nice name if your last name wasn’t [name]Gordon[/name]. I’m a huge dork and I love the whole [name]Chuck[/name] [name]Norris[/name] thing. But again it’s just so rhymey with [name]Gordon[/name].

…[name]Chuck[/name] [name]Norris[/name]

What if we scratched the [name]Jon[/name]? :-/ and chose a totally new mn? Still to rhymy? Ugh, I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Norris[/name]! Damn fiancé and his last name nonsense!! Lol

Your son will be called [name]Chuck[/name] [name]Norris[/name] for the rest of his life.

I quite like [name]Norris[/name], don’t find it that far off more common names, like [name]Boris[/name] or [name]Morris[/name] for in stance. If you love it, go for it!

As you’re not married yet, maybe you can talk your fiance into taking your name in stead :wink:

I do think that there are some issues with [name]Norris[/name], but I don’t think that it’s so bad that it’s unusable. If you absolutely love it and can’t attach yourself to another name in the same way then I think you should use it.

Except that those aren’t common at all.

Hahaha! I wish! Highly unlikely to take my name though! Loll (:
I just don’t understand why so many people dislike the name [name]Norris[/name]…
Is chuck [name]Norris[/name] really the best explanation? Lame…

The only other cultural associations I can come up with are Mrs. [name]Norris[/name], the cat from [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name], and [name]Lee[/name] [name]Norris[/name], a child actor from the 90s who I think is mostly known for playing a sort of devious, geeky side character on Boy Meets World. (At least, that’s where I know him from.) I don’t think that [name]Norris[/name] has ever really been a well-used name, and it hasn’t been in the top 1000 since 1979 (with the exception of 1983, where it briefly broke in at 955).

I actually never think of [name]Chuck[/name] [name]Norris[/name], because I guess I am not that into him. I usually think of Mrs. [name]Norris[/name] the cat from [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name], but doubt others would think of that.
If you really like it you should use it and ignore what family says. My husband and I ignored what they said about my son’s name. My husbands father still calls my son another name because he hates the name we picked, but oh well to him. That is his name. You just have to stand your ground if you want to use it.
Goodluck!

I think people probably don’t like it just b/c it isn’t their style and b/c it seems like a spinoff of other more popular names like [name]Harris[/name]/[name]Harrison[/name]. I don’t think it is horrible. If you love then go with it. I also like that with [name]Jon[/name] you are giving him a more traditional name if he ever ends up wanting to use it.

I don’t like it, and I’m not even sure who [name]Chuck[/name] [name]Norris[/name] is.

I agree with the people who said it doesn’t sound good with your last name, and it sounds nasally. Also, I don’t like surnames as first names.

[name]Jon[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] sounds too much like [name]Jeff[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] [name]IMO[/name], but honestly [name]Norris[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] isnt that bad, although i do agree it is odd with your last name. I have names other people disagree upon and i dont give them up because i love them too much so if you love it that much then go for it. Beware though some names just are not meant to be, [name]Jeff[/name] and I love love love the name [name]Tobias[/name] but because his last name starts with a B and ends in a S the combo destroys it, so just keep that in mind.

Also, I see nothing wrong with [name]Chuck[/name] [name]Norris[/name] most kids nowadays think hes cool and might by association think the name [name]Norris[/name] is cool.