Why does nobody like our choice? ):

Coming from someone who has no idea who [name]Chuck[/name] [name]Norris[/name] is, I think [name]Norris[/name] [name]Jon[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] is fine. It may not be my particular taste, but the opinions of people on the Internet shouldn’t dissuade you from choosing a name you love. There are many people with the surname [name]Norris[/name], and I hardly see why it should be owned by any one person.

I’ve been saying [name]Norris[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] over and over in my head and I’m starting to really like it. I don’t see the [name]Chuck[/name] [name]Norris[/name] thing as a bad connection at all! He was [name]Walker[/name], [name]Texas[/name] [name]Ranger[/name] and he’s never been involved in any sort of scandals that I know of. It’s a really strong masculine name without sounding like you’re trying too hard. And [name]Norris[/name] [name]Jon[/name] sounds great, I say you go for it!

[name]Chuck[/name] [name]Norris[/name] popped in my head as well.

I think the problem is [name]Norris[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] just sounds horrible. A new middle name wouldn’t fix the problem. Maybe move [name]Norris[/name] to the middle spot? Also to me [name]Norris[/name] doesn’t sound very masculine, especially when there are a bunch of [name]Nora[/name]'s running around.

The problem is that [name]Norris[/name] is nasallly sounding and it is just a nerdy name…I would want to beat up a kid named [name]Norris[/name] [name]Gordon[/name]…don’t change the middle nmae change the first…it really doesn’t help that it is so rhymey…

I don’t think it’s that bad. I definitely think of [name]Chuck[/name] [name]Norris[/name] though and a whole slew of jokes that go around about him. shrug People tend to think of pop culture references when names aren’t that common. For me it’s just a surname which I’m generally not fond of, but it’s certainly not bad.

You’re going to have a lot of resistance to [name]Norris[/name] for a few reasons.

It’s a surname which doesn’t have much of a history as given name.
It has a sound considered out of style, especially the ending -is.
It has a sound and look more common with women’s names - [name]Doris[/name], [name]Phyllis[/name], [name]Lois[/name], [name]Nora[/name] etc.

So your son is going to deal with some of these problems and I’m not sure they’ll go away as he ages. I’d settle for [name]Morris[/name] or [name]Boris[/name] or go with [name]Saul[/name] [name]Ryker[/name] instead. I like [name]Jon[/name] [name]Norris[/name] [name]Gordon[/name], but if you don’t love [name]Jon[/name] that is certainly a problem.

I’d put yourself in the kid’s shoes: would you want to be named [name]Norris[/name], considering all the negative associations people seem to have with it?

I agree that [name]Jon[/name] [name]Norris[/name] sounds much better. Maybe keep [name]Norris[/name] in the middle spot? And if you don’t like [name]Jon[/name], you could always give him two first names.

I immediately thought of Mrs. [name]Norris[/name], Filch’s cat in [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]. Then I thought of a really nerdy kid who gets picked on a lot.

[name]Reading[/name] through this thread, some of the reactions are really harsh. I actually have [name]Norris[/name] on my list of possible unisex names. I really, really like it. I also like the possible nickname of [name]Norrie[/name]. I don’t [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Norris[/name] with [name]Gordon[/name], but I don’t HATE it either. He’s your kid, who cares what the internet thinks, really?

I also think its too rhymey…I really like [name]Saul[/name] out of your list! What about [name]Saul[/name] [name]Norris[/name]?

I think it’s because [name]Norris[/name] sounds like [name]Borris[/name]. :slight_smile:

Well as someone else commented it is not trendy AT ALL and when you pick something thats so far down the list of popular you are sure to get negative feedback. Sad but true.

I don’t think the last name thing is that big of a deal it will be rare for him to be called by all three names, so who cares?

Thats said I like the unique aspect of it but to me it sounds a bit feminine… maybe because it reminds me of the girls name [name]Norah[/name]. However if you like it I think your kid could probably pull it off. So go for it!

hi seeing your signature of the other names you like i think saul john or [name]Saul[/name] ryker gordon would most likely go better with the durname or [name]Even[/name] better what about [name]Saul[/name] [name]Jon[/name]-[name]Norris[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] i put the > -< so they are seen as 2 middle names… Might be a long shot but it goes nicely with your surname and having it in his name is what counts … xx hth

dani.x

I actually really like [name]Norris[/name], and I feel [name]Norris[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] will be fine. You love it, so go for it!

I like [name]Norris[/name]. My thought is that with it not being a name people have heard as a first name then your child gets to make that name his own, without previous associations. Also, nevermind what your family thinks. If both you and dad like the name, once you name the child that and there is a little person to fill the name, it becomes a totally different situation. My sister hated the name I picked out for my son and said she was going to call him by his middle name. Never happened, and his name has been of no issue since. He is [name]Simon[/name] and the name is perfect for him. He is a total rough and tumble little boy not some scrawny little dork like she thought he would be just because of what I named him. Your family gets over it so fast because they fall in love with the baby. As far as the nasally sound goes, I don’t hear it. Maybe there are different accents involved than my own [name]Indiana[/name] accent that affect the sound of it. I also don’t think the OR in [name]Norris[/name] and [name]Gordon[/name] are all that noticeable. [name]Don[/name]'t be sad and certainly don’t put to much weight on other’s opinions. You’re the one that has to say the name on repeat every day for the rest of your life. :slight_smile:

I think that if you love it (as you clearly seem to), you should use it! I do think of [name]Chuck[/name] [name]Norris[/name] when I hear it, and am almost positive that with all of the [name]Chuck[/name] [name]Norris[/name] jokes/legends that are popular right now, the child will definitely be confronted with it on occasion, but if your love for the name is bigger than the potential downfalls, I say go for it.

As for flow, I think [name]Norris[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] sounds off. But [name]Norris[/name] [name]Jon[/name] [name]Gordon[/name], though slightly choppy, sounds a bit better.

I really love the name [name]Norris[/name], along with [name]Harris[/name]…but I think it’s quite important how names sound with surnames. I think it’s actually the litmus test of names, trumping middle name flow any day. In this case, even though I love the name, I really dislike it with [name]Gordon[/name]. And that’s what your son would hear in school for many years, and throughout life, on many occasions. I think that having the surname of [name]Gordon[/name] also rules out [name]Gannon[/name], and even [name]Greyson[/name] from your list. (You have lots of awesome choices on your list, for girls and boys!) And plenty of time to think things out more…