Why don’t we hear Isabelle?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all,

Curious as to why you never hear the name [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] anymore? Is it a basic name? We called our 2022 girl it but never hear it in name lists or anything!

I hear it come up quite often! Not often in terms of like [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], etc. but I think it’s a quiet classic like [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] or [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] that’s not super common but not uncommon either. I know a couple of Isabelles, although admittedly I think [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] is the more common spelling where I am.

I think [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] is more common tbh.

I know several Isabella/ “Bella”s and 3 Isabelle/ Isabels all around age 8.

It’s very common where I live! On babies and adults

I hear it frequently in real life! I don’t often see it on name lists, but I think it’s because most assume people have already considered it and ruled it out. I find others here try to suggest names that people may not have heard or are not familar with.

I hear it a lot more in ‘real life’ than on nameberry - but maybe that’s because the group of students I’m working with were born in the year that it ranked highest in the UK?

Maybe the other thing is that [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] is pretty popular where I am, so while [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] is less popular, people who are looking for something less used might skip over it because it’s similar to [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]?