Why don't any of my friends like the name Zephyr?

I think we have decided on the name [name]Zephyr[/name]. It is a historical name of Greek origin that holds a lot of symbolism for my husband and I. I’d say that 80% of the people we have run the name by really dislike our choice. Can you guys give me some perspective into why people think it is such a bad choice?

Most people probably hear the noun “zephyr” and thus associate it with its common-day definition, rather than its Greek origins and history. Chances are most people probably don’t even know its origin as a name in the first place, hence the skepticism. However, if you feel it’s the right name and its meaning is important to your family, then the only opinions that matter are yours and your husband’s.

I would never have guessed that name had Greek origins. Most people will probably think you pulled it from a Sci-Fi movie or something. It’s also obviously very uncommon. It’s out-of-the-ordinary and therefore could be risky to bestow on a child. Most people don’t like risky. [name]Hence[/name], why we have a ton of [name]Jacob[/name]'s and [name]John[/name]'s and [name]Matthew[/name]'s running around. That being said, I don’t think you should let the opinion of others influence your decision if you and your husband love the name and feel it’s right.

I think it’s just unique and different, it’s defiantly not my taste and I honestly don’t like it either. It also kind of sounds like zipper :confused:

It’s a matter of opinion and your friends are just telling you theirs. If you like it, go for it, don’t worry about what I or others think, they’ll grow to love it.

I have to admit, when I first read your post my immediate response was that [name]Zephyr[/name] was a horrible name. But after contemplating over why I felt that way about it, I came to like the name [name]Zephyr[/name]. So I think I have had the same reaction as those you know. [name]Zephyr[/name] is just very uncommon and most people aren’t expecting to hear you say that is the name you have decided on. The name throws them off because they probably have never heard it, or thought you made up a name not knowing about it’s mythological roots. [name]Just[/name] like I did.
But [name]Zephyr[/name] is a great choice. I like the ‘Z’ sound and it is a strong sounding name. I think it will grow on people because [name]Zephyr[/name] has a lot of good things going for it. Especially since it has a lot of symbolism for you and you husband.

I love it and would use it if I had the guts. I think it sounds like a new name because it is so unusual, and that’s where people might get confused and dislike.

I’m using the nae [name]Zephyrine[/name], which is a feminine form so obviously I love it. I love the mythology behind it, I love the sound, I love the spunk.

With other people, I think it’s just not a name they’ve heard of and therefore are having negative reactions to it. It’s something they’re going to have to get used to, but if it’s got a lot of meaning for you and you love it, who cares what they think? They’ll get used to it and learn to love it! :slight_smile:

It’s unusual and most people have trouble accepting something that’s outside their comfort zone. However, I think you’d get a totally different reaction to “this is my son [name]Zephyr[/name]” as opposed to “what do you think of the name, [name]Zephyr[/name]?” People are much more accepting of an unusual name when there’s an adorable baby attached to it!

Thanks guys. This all really helps. I appreciate the comments. I’m starting to feel better about the decision. I also saw a list on here that the #1 naming regret is succumbing to other people’s opinions on your name choice.

I like the name and the only reason I could see that people don’t like it is that it is a little different-- but that’s not bad! My immediate association was with [name]Zephyr[/name] the monkey in the Babar stories-- I think that’s a good association to have.

I love the name [name]Zephyr[/name] and its meaning. If you want to use it go for it. [name]Do[/name] not let anyone talk you out of a name you and your husband love. [name]Just[/name] think, if they choose a name you did not particular like, will they change it, based on your opinions? Probably not.

Some are harsher no matter the name choice, but it can happen more when you choose a unique baby name because it is different and sometimes people don’t like different names. They like to stick with the classics, especially with boy names. I think if it has importance to you and you like the history and meaning, use it and people will soon grow to like the name when they see a cute boy bearing it.

I really really love [name]Zephyr[/name].
I love ‘The [name]Zephyr[/name] Song’ by [name]Red[/name] Hot [name]Chili[/name] Peppers. There’s also the Z-Boys ([name]Zephyr[/name] Boys) who helped popularize the style of competitive skateboarding and surfing we see today. I consider it the ultimate laid-back, water baby/beach baby name. I didn’t know it’s origin until I came to Nameberry.

I’m not sure if I could use it since I’m in [name]Florida[/name] and Zephyrhills is a town and where the popular brand of water comes from (I have a bottle in my fridge right now). But I still don’t see anything about [name]Zephyr[/name] that makes it a horrible name. People just aren’t used to it