Why is everyone so against the name Marie?!

I’m currently pregnant with #2… another GIRL! I have been struggling hard with a name for this one because I feel like my daughter’s name was my ultimate favorite and all the other ones that I felt had the same quirky, sweet, vintage charm have all been vetoed by my husband.

I’ve been more and more intrigued by [name_f]Marie[/name_f] as a FIRST name. I even did a poll recently of our top 7 names and not ONE SINGLE PERSON voted for [name_f]Marie[/name_f]!

I know it’s wildly overused as a middle name, but I thought it could be seen as a refreshing, sweet and spunky choice as a first, but clearly others do not agree.

So, what gives??

For me, I associate it with baby boomers since all the [name_f]Maries[/name_f]/[name_f]Marys[/name_f] I know are in their 60s, so it feels just like it fits in with all the Barbaras, Dianes, Carols, and Susans. Of course, this is probably a regional thing so it might not be that way for others.

In the end you and your SO have to be the ones to love a name, so please don’t let it dissuade you from using the name you both love.

I love the name [name_f]Marie[/name_f], I think it totally deserves more recognition that doesn’t involve use as a middle name. It’s tragic, really! I think it’s a match made in heaven with [name_f]Nora[/name_f] - to me, both names have a quiet elegance and sweetness that really ties them together in simplicity. I would be very pleased to see a baby girl with the first name [name_f]Marie[/name_f].

I do know an older woman named [name_f]Marie[/name_f], but I don’t really think it should matter. People always seem to think [name_f]Mary[/name_f] is a fresh choice (I don’t know why, I dislike [name_f]Mary[/name_f], personally) so why should [name_f]Marie[/name_f] be snubbed?

On a side note, if you’ve seen the new version of Dr. Suess’s The Lorax, there’s a little girl in the musical sequence named [name_f]Marie[/name_f]. She sings “My name’s [name_f]Marie[/name_f], I am three, I’d really like to see a tree, la la la la la la lee”. Look up the scene, it’s cute.

To be honest I find the name to be rather dulll but I don’t hate it, or even dislike it.

I actually like it quite a bit. I am a huge fan of using traditional “filler” middle names as firsts because they really are great and deserve to be used more as given names. [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Anne[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], and [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] are some of my favorites. So to me [name_f]Marie[/name_f] seems like a fantastic choice! I’m sure it wouldn’t be most people’s first pick, but that’s why they aren’t naming your baby. I wouldn’t be discouraged because of others’ lack of love for the name. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps :slight_smile:

I absolutely adore the name [name_f]Marie[/name_f] as a first name! I think that one thing that could deter people from using it is the meaning “bitter.” I know that makes me a bit weary of using it. Then again, I doubt many people know what the meaning is. Also, [name_f]Mary[/name_f] has the same meaning and it was extremely popular for years and years.

I think if you love [name_f]Marie[/name_f] then you should use it regardless of what others think. I would love to meet a little [name_f]Marie[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

I think that as a given name, [name_f]Marie[/name_f] is sweet! It’s definitely a name that’s underused.

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] is in my top 10, but [name_f]Marie[/name_f] has never appealed to me. It’s just a personal thing.
I do agree that [name_f]Marie[/name_f] is refreshing as a first and completely overdone in the middle.

I love it as a first name. It’s way overdone as a middle, but it’s unexpected and refreshing as a first name.

I actually really like the name [name_f]Marie[/name_f]! Its a gorgeous name and I havent seen many people here ‘disliking it’ very much.

[name_f]Marie[/name_f] is becoming trendy in [name_f]France[/name_f], has a great meaning, and a nice sound. My guess? It will probably come back into favor in a few years, riding on the coattails of currently trendy names like [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. I think it is refreshing!

[name_f]Marie[/name_f]…

I think [name_f]Marie[/name_f] is a really elegant, understated name that deserves to be used outside the middle name slot. It’s really sad that names like [name_f]Marie[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Anne[/name_f]/[name_f]Ann[/name_f] etc aren’t used in the first name slot and deemed as middle names only. I am not keen on [name_f]Maria[/name_f] it just isn’t my thing for me [name_f]Maria[/name_f] sounds dated which proves that one letter can make a big difference because [name_f]Marie[/name_f] is just so pretty! [name_f]Marie[/name_f] & [name_f]Nora[/name_f] work together too.

I don’t like the name [name_f]Mary[/name_f], but I actually like [name_f]Marie[/name_f]. I love the movie The Aristocats and the little white cat was named [name_f]Marie[/name_f].

I know a [name_f]Marie[/name_f] who is in her late teens, and no others, so I don’t tie it to any generation. It’d be nice to see a little [name_f]Marie[/name_f], as I do have a lot of friends with [name_f]Marie[/name_f] as the middle… Where it is stupidly overused, in my opinion. [name_f]Nora[/name_f] and [name_f]Marie[/name_f] are a lovely sibset.

@chelachels: I wouldn’t call “bitter” a great meaning. That’s the only downfall.

I don’t know, but I like it

[name_f]Marie[/name_f] is a charming, classic name, and it’s a nice fit with [name_f]Nora[/name_f]. If you love it, go for it.

I think those responding to your poll aren’t necessarily responding against [name_f]Marie[/name_f] as much as they are indicating their preference of one or more of the choices over [name_f]Marie[/name_f]. I can see why…some of your choices are particularly popular now ([name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]), others are particularly intriguing ([name_f]Rhoswen[/name_f]). You have three classic names…[name_f]Marie[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], and [name_f]Claire[/name_f]. [name_f]Claire[/name_f] is #44 right now and has been quietly rising for quite a while, [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is #97 and on an upswing. [name_f]Marie[/name_f] is #579, [name_f]Nora[/name_f] was #501 15 years ago. I doubt [name_f]Marie[/name_f] is terribly disliked by anyone…they just perceive it as overused as a middle, perhaps a little too vintage for their tastes. For whatever reason, it’s not a ‘hot’ name right now. But, if you are like a lot of Berries, that’s a vote in its favor!

It’s a classic name (just like [name_f]Mary[/name_f] or [name_u]James[/name_u]) but it’s actually starting to be out-dated in [name_f]France[/name_f].

It’s my middle name. I can’t complain (It was my great grandma’s name so I’m proud) but it is the most popular given name in [name_f]France[/name_f]. There are a lot of [name_f]Maries[/name_f] everywhere. ://www.meilleursprenoms.com/stats/prenoms_stat.php/[name_f]Marie[/name_f]

I would find [name_f]Marie[/name_f] refreshing as a first name.

I really like the name [name_f]Marie[/name_f] but it’s a name that I tend to forget about when I talk about my favourites. I think it goes great with [name_f]Nora[/name_f] and I would love to meet a little girl with the name.

I like it as a first name, but not a filler middle.