Why Should I Love Maeve?

I’m drafting up my post for this week. I asked my partner to look at our long list and pick a combo he loves because I’ve been indecisive about where to go from here (there are a bunch I’m purposely hoarding for later and don’t know what to choose in the meantime…). He picked one for me, but as his eyes scanned the page he said:

“I wish there was more [name_f]Maeve[/name_f],” (sic, I would’ve said were).

Now, I have known for a very long time that [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] is one of his very, very, very favorites. It used to be (like before I met him) one of my very, very, very favorites, too. I do love it, but it is not the same overwhelming warmth I feel for many of the others on our list. But I think he REALLY, REALLY yearns for a little girl with the middle name [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]. So can I let him have it if we have a girl? I want to LOVE it, too.

Here are some [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] combos I have loved over the years, just for flavor and context:

Saffron [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_u]Tempest[/name_u] [name_f]Aisling[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Titania[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]

I’m specifically not including any combos here that are on our shortlist, but I might rejigger any of these combos to fit them in.

Perhaps I feel some sort of imposter syndrome about it. It feels like my style is not witchy enough, fairy enough, temptress enough to feel like the name belongs to me somehow. And the popularity turns me off.

So, tell me, why should I LOVE [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] above all others? If this CAN be rationalized into me, rationalize it, please.

Thanks, Berries

[@anon25197097, perhaps this will be up your alley?]

You can’t force yourself to love a name, a so I can’t explain why you should love it
But to me, it sounds modern yet not to short, not hard to pronounce, and unique enough to not be the seventh kid in the class with the same name but not enough to stand out like a sore thumb ( partially, due to popularity) . To me, it’s almost as if you’d take the best elements of [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_f]Ava[/name_f] ( which I like, but don’t love) and combines them together to create a lovely name.
It’s also the name of a goddess, particularly the goddess of love, which I think is nice and powerful.
The benefit of having [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] as a middle name is that it goes with almost any name (in my opinion). I love all of your combos
Personally I would tell him what you feel about the name, maybe you’ll find one you both love . However, he may be completely obsessed, and since you like it to ( and have been for a while) I’d probably let him have it. Try to aim for a first name you love, and if you budge for him, he’ll want to for you, too.

2 Likes

Maeve feels warm, mystical and wise! I really like it

1 Like

Okay so I think all I can do is tell you why I love [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] and hopefully this can help you fall head over heels in love with the name.

The reason why I love [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] is because the name has a soft whimsical sound it just feels dainty and elegant. Yet she has this intriguing majestic witchy meaning of ‘intoxicating’ which just makes her feel strong. I love that the name is rich in Irish history and in mythology is the essence of power, promise & abundance of [name_f]Earth[/name_f] all qualities that I would want associated with my daughter. Despite understanding your reservation about the name being too ‘witchy’ or ‘temptress enough’ to match you as a person I think because the name does also have such a dainty almost vintage sound it works for many different people. I would say my style is romantic frilly sort of vintage choices [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] works. [name_f]My[/name_f] friend loves classic names again [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] works. I think [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] due to its dainty vintage sound feels universal despite the strong mythological background. I wouldn’t be concerned about your imposter syndrome it’s definitely a universal choice! In relation to popularity yes [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] is a name loved by berries but have you in real life met a [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]? I live in area that has a large Irish/Irish traveller population and I have not met a single [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] met numerous [name_f]Aoife[/name_f]’s, Aishling’s and [name_u]Darragh[/name_u]’s but not a single [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]. I work in area that is very multi-cultural with large [name_u]South[/name_u] [name_f]Asian[/name_f], Afro-Caribbean population, Eastern European & Irish again not encountered a single [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] sister works in a relatively hipster area has met one [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]. I think popularity isn’t a major concern either especially as your most likely going to use it as a middle name.

Personally I would use [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] your partner loves it and I think using [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] as a middle name would be nice for him. Also you could always have two middle names.

Good luck

3 Likes

One of my best friend’s older sisters growing up was a [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]. The family had a very eclectic mix (Clé, Ma3v3, L3ah, and Am3li3). I think the fact I HAVE known one also holds me back somehow. None of the other names on our list (except [name_f]Petra[/name_f]) are people I’ve met apart from honor names.

[name_f]Maeve[/name_f].
The simplicity of sweet [name_f]May[/name_f] paired with the femininity and elegance of [name_f]Eve[/name_f].
Not to mention the rich, Irish mythological history behind the name, [name_f]Queen[/name_f] of Connacht ( interesting story) and ALSO the other as the Shakespearean literary reference, queen of the fairies, [name_f]Queen[/name_f] [name_f]Mab[/name_f]. If you are not already sold on the name. I think the meaning of the name is fabulous. ‘she who intoxicates’
In other words, she who is mysterious, beautiful and enchanting. :green_heart: Like mead wine.
I find the name very witchy/earthy ( sorry if that puts you off) and I like the other variations on the name. [name_u]Maven[/name_u], [name_f]Maeva[/name_f].

The sound alone is dignified without being pretentious.
Feminine yet not overly frilly.
I feel it has a somewhat fantastical presence in a world full of classic girl names. It’s different but not to different.
I think your husband is right to love it. So does mine! We are using it as a middle :slight_smile: I say go for it.

2 Likes

P.s [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] is divine

1 Like

@hyacinthbucket I get you it’s hard when you’ve met one but I think that’s almost anecdotal for example I went to school with [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] it’s the only one I’ve ever met the name is still rare even though for me because I know a [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] so it’s not as rare. I honestly don’t think you should base a names popularity on anecdotal cases like I’ve known a [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] previously or I’ve known a [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]. I think it should only be a concern if in your area you’ve met numerous people with this name like I’ve met loads of [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]’s & [name_f]Evie[/name_f]’s so they are popular.

1 Like

I just have to say that I love [name_u]Tempest[/name_u] [name_f]Aisling[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] and [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

There’s no harm in playing with the combos to see if you can squeeze [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] in a bit more. She is magical. :blush: Hopefully y’all can find a combo you both love equally. But if you have to give and take a bit on firsts and middles that’s understandable.

2 Likes

Excellent point

1 Like

@hyacinthbucket I also think [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] [name_u]Tempest[/name_u] is beyond beautiful. But then I am a fan of [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f]. I know the name got a bit of a mixed response on here but I really quite like it.

2 Likes

This is lovely.

Good vibes!

I like that it’s witchy and earthy I just worry I don’t live up to its image.

These are all strong points. You make a good case, as I knew you’d be able to do. I, too, love the mythological components. And I was thinking about the bull in the Connacht story as a metal ox (just a funny connection). And [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] is still on the list for sure! [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] [name_u]Tempest[/name_u] or [name_f]Perpetua[/name_f] [name_u]Tempest[/name_u] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] are soooo enchanting, but definitely not toning down the femme fatale there. She is fierce!

Agreed that popularity isn’t the biggest deal in the world. [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] is just SO similarly popular to F3l1x, my first son’s middle name, and I have since met a couple of them. That’s basically the only thing that slightly bugs me about his name, though I do love it sooo sooo dearly and wouldn’t change it for the world.

Moving the rest of this over here. Come on by if you care to comment further:

1 Like

Have you watched Westworld? [name_f]Thandie[/name_f] [name_m]Newton[/name_m]’s character is [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] and she made me fall in love with it. :heart::popcorn:

1 Like

Oh I did watch the first season ages ago and yes she was the best character by far and quite befitting of the name. I had forgotten.

Fierce femme fatale I really love it. And very good connection to the metal ox I agree.

1 Like