Why such strong opposition to these names?! Breaks my heart. ):

I want to name my son (who is due the end of February) either [name]Cassius[/name]; pronounced [name]Cash[/name]-us, or [name]Silas[/name]. [name]Silas[/name] seems to be the more accepted of the two in my family, but I can’t see why. [name]How[/name] is it these two names are so unusual? [name]Do[/name] you think either one is UNusable? [name]Cassius[/name] was my favorite before [name]Silas[/name], [name]Silas[/name] only grew on me after I got such a STRONG opposition to [name]Cassius[/name]! - My sister named her daughter [name]Priya[/name], and everyone loves it, but that is definitely an unusual name, how is it she can get away with [name]Priya[/name] but [name]Cassius[/name] or [name]Silas[/name] are just too much!

Lemme know your honest opinions. Is [name]Cassius[/name] really too out there? Is [name]Silas[/name] too old-timey? I don’t understand why everyone thinks baby boys should all be named things like [name]Jacob[/name] and [name]Justin[/name] only!

I personally can’t see the problem with either name. I think there is a lot tighter range of what’s “acceptable” for boys in a lot of people’s eyes though. I felt like if I had a girl I could pick almost anything and now that it’s a boy I feel caught between the extremely over-used and “weird” names. But I feel like [name]Cassius[/name] and [name]Silas[/name], while uncommon, aren’t inaccessible. If you’re getting a lot of backlash across the board, it might cause you to rethink them, but if people in general react favorably and it’s just your family, I’d say go ahead and use either name–once he’s here they’re going to love him no matter what his name is.

I love both! I don’t know any with these names, but I do know a [name]Cassian[/name], and he is constantly complimented on his name. People are weird, I’m sure if you call your child any of these names, you and he will get lots of praise for the name.

[name]Silas[/name] is in the top 200, while [name]Cassius[/name] is in the top 1000, but way down in the 800s. Your friends and family are probably just more familiar with [name]Silas[/name] and are therefore more comfortable with it. If you like [name]Cassius[/name], go for it- there are plenty of little boys called [name]Atticus[/name] (#462), [name]Cash[/name] (#264), and [name]Titus[/name] (#365) around now- [name]Cassius[/name] is right at home with those and will become familiar to your family once they’ve met yours :slight_smile:

Maybe it’s the background of your family. A lot of older people really associate [name]Cassius[/name] with [name]Mohammed[/name] [name]Ali[/name].

I think [name]Silas[/name] is lovely. A little uncommon, but a fabulous name.

[name]Cassius[/name] is lovely. There are 2 in my son’s class in Uk in fact

[name]Cassius[/name] and [name]Silas[/name] are not odd at all. I like both, but [name]Silas[/name] is my favorite since i’m not a fan of the nn [name]Cash[/name]. Pick your favorite; your family will come around quickly. I also like [name]Julius[/name] which sounds similar.

[name]Cassius[/name] and [name]Silas[/name] are both great names with a lot of history to back them up. I wouldn’t worry about naming a son either of these names. If your sister has a [name]Priya[/name] it’s perfectly acceptable to give your boy a name you love!

I think the only thing that might come up is people pronouncing it wrong, like [name]Cassie[/name]- us… and [name]Cassie[/name] sounds like a girls name, also if people did pronounce it RIGHT, they would probably call him [name]Cash[/name], but [name]Cash[/name] is way cool! :wink:

p.s. I love [name]Silas[/name] for a name too and was considering it along with [name]Solomon[/name]

I prefer [name]Cassius[/name] though I am not into nn [name]Cash[/name]. [name]Silas[/name] is ok. Neither are crazy. My list was trashed by my family…including the name I used which they now all [name]LOVE[/name]! I think you need to not talk names with critical family members…once they meet little [name]Cassius[/name] or [name]Silas[/name] the name will suddenly be perfect if they’re like my family!

I don’t like [name]Cassius[/name], but I don’t see it as weird or out there. [name]Silas[/name] on the other hand I love - and would have no hesitation in using.

[name]Cassius[/name] and [name]Silas[/name] are both perfectly handsome and acceptable names. The problem may be that both [name]Cassius[/name] and [name]Silas[/name] are relatively unusual, and people are much more open to an unusual name on a girl than an unusual name on a boy.

I love [name]Cassius[/name] (love the nn [name]Cash[/name]) and [name]Silas[/name], too! My preference would be [name]Silas[/name], but [name]Cassius[/name] is super handsome, too. :slight_smile: I think it’s kind of a cool connection that [name]Mohammad[/name] [name]Ali[/name]'s birth name was [name]Cassius[/name]. :slight_smile:

I think a lot of times families just aren’t in the loop of what’s cool and what’s not. :confused: I absolutely [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Violet[/name], I’ve brought it up to my family a couple times, and they turn their noses up to it every single time. I think it’s growing on them, they used to think it was hideous (and weren’t afraid to say so. Although I don’t think I’ll ever know WHY they think it’s hideous…). They think I should never ever name my son [name]Avery[/name], even though it’s a FAMILY name. They think [name]Caleb[/name]'s wimpy and terrible. It goes on an on, I don’t think there is one name on my list that they say they all really love (with the exception of [name]Olivia[/name], maybe. I think they’d have a cow if they realized I wanted to call my [name]Olivia[/name] “[name]Olive[/name]” half the time, hahaha). [name]Just[/name] ignore your family. It’s nice to have their support, but once your son comes around, they’ll grow to love his name because it suits him. :slight_smile:

I think either [name]Cassius[/name] or [name]Silas[/name] for you, but [name]Silas[/name] really has my heart. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

both names are wonderful. [name]Priya[/name] is a great name but for sure more out there than your two. Pick the name u like and once the baby os here w that name ur family will love it.

As others have mentioned some people, including some Berries, have a narrow view of what’s OK for a boy while a girl can be named anything under the sun. They’re so fearful of a boy’s name being “girly”. I’d wager that your family members consider [name]Cassius[/name] too soft. I personally love “soft” names for boys and I’d call a little [name]Cassius[/name] either [name]Cash[/name] or [name]Cass[/name]/Caz

Never been crazy about [name]Silas[/name] but there’s nothing I don’t like.

I don’t see a problem with either name. I’m not a huge fan of the sound of [name]Cassius[/name], but I wouldn’t care if someone else used it. I really like [name]Silas[/name]!

I think they’re both good names. I say ignore your family and name your child whatever you want. It’s your kid. :slight_smile:

[name]Cassius[/name] is great, nn [name]Cash[/name] is awesome. Go with what you love, ignore your family, they’ll end up loving it eventually.

i [name]LOVE[/name] both names! they were unfortunately VETOED by DH but I love them both still!!!

If you loved [name]Cassius[/name] go for it!!!