Why two middles?

I’m really curious, why do you do (or not do) two middle names? Is it a family thing? [name_m]Just[/name_m] wanted more names? Not trying to be rude (if it seemed that way) just curious. :slight_smile:

My brother was given two middles and I always wished that I had two. He was named after twin uncles that died in childhood. When I got married I added my maiden name to the middle name spot so that I ended up with two middles. I plan on using two middles so that I can hopefully honor everybody that I want to. I am 31 and have been trying for a baby for a long time, there is a chance that I will never have children, or that I will only have one. I want the chance to honor my loved ones if I can.

Idk, but, for me, there’s just something so elegant about two mns. I just enjoy the flow of a double mn, plus I can honor more than one person. For example, [name_f]Nora[/name_f] [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] or [name_f]Nora[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] only honor one person each. But [name_f]Nora[/name_f] [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] honors two people, flows better, and adds length and elegance to the overall name. It is a lot more difficult to come up with two mns sometimes (at least for me personally) because it has to flow seamlessly between three names instead of two. I have a lot of single mn combos that I love, but I am always searching for that perfect second middle to add to them. It is just a preference, though.

Because I am a namenerd and I am grateful for every chance to add more names (more than two middles seem too much though). As long as the flow is great and future partner (if there’s any) agrees, I’ll use two middles instead of one anytime.

I prefer one middle name because it is hard for me to make combinations tbh. I am afraid I will mess up a perfect combination still I try to make names with two middles time to time. It is easier for Western name than Turkish names for me.

All of our kids have two middles, mostly because we couldn’t chose just one :wink: In theory I really like one middle as well because it’s not as lengthy and often flows better with the last name, but we just liked too many names haha. With [name_m]Atlas[/name_m], [name_m]Atlas[/name_m] [name_m]Felix[/name_m] or [name_m]Atlas[/name_m] [name_m]Leander[/name_m] would have both been fine, but we just loved [name_m]Felix[/name_m] and [name_m]Leander[/name_m] and could not make up our minds…

I have a few reasons:

1. I used to have two middles, or at least thought I did. It’s a long story, but technically I have a double barrelled surname, but I’m planning on making the first bit my second middle name (which is how I used to have it). It’s something that never caused problems, but had an extra bit of meaning and family connection for me. I’d like my kids to have the same.

2. It might be because I’m used to making up two middle combos/saying my own name, but to me a name with two middles, even plus the surname, sounds much more complete and well rounded. There’s an extra bit of oomph and a little grandeur, without being too over the top.

3. And of course the Namenerd side of me just wants to use more names I love. That can also mean more names that are important or significant to me. I have some names that have a really specific imagery, and I might find a name that fits that perfectly, but I might also want to include a name that’s important. If both sound okay together and work with the first, then I have two spots to play with, and don’t have to choose between feel/imagery, or significance.

Sometimes it can be difficult to find two perfect middles instead of just one (or even none) but I think it’s worth it in the end.

I only use one middle name in my combos.
Personally, I find it too over the top to use two middles, unless they are honour names. And since we are not planning to use any family names at all, I’ve always stuck with one.

I also prefer the simplicity of using one middle, both for flow and written purposes.

I’m a name nerd so I just love two middle names!

Actually, we didn’t decide on two middles until after she was born. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is my middle name and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is a name my husband loves (plus it’s her birth flower). So, she’s [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] :slight_smile:

I prefer two middle names, because I enjoy how balanced and symmetrical it feels to have FN, MN, MN, LN. Also, I like that the child has more choice when they’re older and that three names hold more meaning than one.

I love the elegance and flow though I do struggle to construct combinations with two middle names for boys because of the lack of more feminine -ella, -ia, -a type endings that just lend to the fluidity of a combination.

Personally I dislike names with 2 middles
I was raised in Greece where almost everyone has no middles at all (I only remember meeting 3 people who had a middle name), so having two of them just seems way too much and not necessary at all. And honestly it makes many combos just too long,losing their melodic sound

Other reason, I think, it’s because you (I mean, English speaking countries) only have (normally) one surname. Probably there will be a lot of [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_m]Smith[/name_m] in the world, but less [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_m]Smith[/name_m] and even less [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_m]Smith[/name_m].

When you have two surnames like in the spanish countries, the last name combinations give less chances to have two people with the exactly same names.

I’ve been considering two middle names recently. The main reason is that I would very much like to use my surname as a middle name for all of my children. The problem with that is my surname is one syllable and tends to not sound very good with my favorites. I would also like the option of selecting a second name, being a name nerd and all. :stuck_out_tongue:

My S/O has two middle names, as does his sister, both middle names were for family reasons. He hates it, feels like it’s a lot of hassle and isn’t a big fan of naming after people - at least not so blatantly. So even though sometimes I do feel like it would be nice to use two middle names, to make sure I get in all the names I like, I don’t think we ever would because of how he feels about it.

I have one middle name ([name_u]Haley[/name_u] [name_f]Alannah[/name_f]) but my mother and aunts all have two. For some reason none of them decided to continue it on with their children (it’s a family thing on my grandfather’s side).

S/O however has two middles, and so do 3/4 siblings, because his parents wanted to honour family members with them (S/O’s middle names are honour names from his dad’s family).

We’ve talked about double middles but we can’t really decide if we want to use them or not. I love the idea of [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] or [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u] [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] [name_f]Louise[/name_f], but with LN, it seems like a bit much. As for boys, there’s not enough boys names that we like that fit together well, LOL. We’ve thought of [name_m]Aaron[/name_m] [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] (two of S/O’s names) but we haven’t got ideas for any other boys names.

If we did do the double middle name thing, I’d likely add a middle name to my own name (probably [name_u]Haley[/name_u] [name_f]Alannah[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]) so that way I wouldn’t be left out :stuck_out_tongue: I was always jealous of people with two middles growing up, LOL.

For me, it’s a few reasons:

1. It makes some names seem more complete, but it fully depends on what names you are considering. For instance, I have a cousin named [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] [name_f]Marie[/name_f]. That name seems perfect and would seem silly if my aunt and uncle had decided to add another name in there. However, I have a niece named [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]. While [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] or [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] sound great, both middle names both add a lot to the name as a whole…in my opinion.

2. It sort of is a family thing. My husband and his siblings all have multiple middle names. My siblings and myself, as well as most people I know, only have one. So I guess it can go both ways…

3. It’s oftentimes a great way to work in some extra names. Maybe both parents want to choose a middle name. Maybe you only plan on having one child, but have a few special names you’d love to use. Maybe you had a name set in stone, but then a loved one passed away and you want to add their name as a way to honor the lost. There’s so much that could fall under this.

4. Culture. This one isn’t necessarily one of mine, but I’m sure it is more common in several cultures.

Personally I usually don’t like it. Most names with two middles feel more like a list than a name to me. There are exceptions but that’s generally my opinion. The son of a friend has two middle names and a double-barrelled surname and although all the names are lovely I just think it borders on ridiculous, especially given both the surnames are also first names (think [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]-[name_m]Scott[/name_m]). Feels like you’re reading out a register rather than saying one kid’s name.

My daughter’s full name is already 10 syllables and 27 letters, just below the maximum number of letters that would fit in the online form when we were registering her name. Not that we couldn’t have used another name if we wanted to, of course there are ways around the form thing, but that to me was a clue that for administrative purposes a longer name would have been annoying. Of course not everyone picks such a long middle name as we did or is working with such a long last name so plenty of people could easily come in with a lower syllable and letter count whilst still using two middles :wink:

I actually think it’s really cool to have no middle name. I love the simplicity and I think those names can sound very strong. I just wasn’t brave enough to do it really, there was a lingering fear that the name would be incomplete somehow and also I wanted her to have the same number of names as me and my partner do, so tradition came into it.

I’m not an enormous fan of double middles. Sometimes it just looks cluttered and loses impact. Although I have warmed up to the thought of making my own double-middle combos, I doubt I’ll actually use them in real life, if that makes sense. My mother has two middle names and a hyphenated last name that goes beautifully together, but I don’t know if I could replicate the grace of her name.

I waiver back and forth on whether to add a second middle or not. My second middle choices are always family names so sometimes I feel compelled to tack them on and other times I feel like it’s just overkill and the kid should just have their own name all to theirself. My girl combos tend to work out beautifully with an honor name added as a second middle while my boy names tend to feel complete with just one middle name; adding a second middle makes it feel forced and unbalanced. Maybe it’s because I don’t have as many lovely male honor names to work with as female ones.

Honestly… I love names and it sounds fabulous! But also, it made it easier for us to pick names that we love and wanted, and then also include a family name. :slight_smile:

I don’t have a middle name, and hubby only has one, so it’s not traditional or anything. [name_m]Just[/name_m] personal choice.