Wider Honor Names?

Many of us like to honor our beloved relatives, friends, prior animals.

I’m wondering how many have used or are considering using names of people they admire but don’t know and if so, what are those names?

Names I’d consider:

[name_f]Earhart[/name_f] ([name_f]Eyre[/name_f], [name_f]Hattie[/name_f]) for [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_u]Morisot[/name_u] ([name_m]Moss[/name_m], [name_f]Mossie[/name_f], [name_f]Moselle[/name_f]) for [name_f]Berthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Millay[/name_f] ([name_m]Mills[/name_m]) For [name_f]Edna[/name_f] St. [name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_f]Phryne[/name_f] ( can’t think of any nns) for Miss [name_m]Fisher[/name_m]
[name_u]Mirren[/name_u] ([name_f]Mira[/name_f]) for [name_f]Helen[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] ([name_f]Nell[/name_f]/Norah) for [name_m]Roosevelt[/name_m]
[name_f]Greta[/name_f] ([name_f]Gertie[/name_f]) for [name_f]Garbo[/name_f]
[name_f]Katharine[/name_f] ([name_u]Kaye[/name_u], [name_f]Kitty[/name_f]) for Hepburn
[name_f]Bronte[/name_f] ([name_f]Brona[/name_f]) for the [name_f]Bronte[/name_f] sisters
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Maud[/name_f] (both names) for [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u]
[name_f]Colette[/name_f] ([name_f]Lettie[/name_f]) for the same
[name_f]Indira[/name_f] (Dearie as a private nn) for Gandhi
[name_f]Cascade[/name_f] ([name_f]Cady[/name_f]) for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Cady[/name_f] [name_m]Stanton[/name_m])

1 Like

Sorry, I’m tired. I meant to put this under [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Names and include male names. [name_u]Calder[/name_u] is a wonderful name!

1 Like

Ooh I love [name_f]Phryne[/name_f]!

I have [name_u]Claude[/name_u] as an honor for [name_u]Claude[/name_u] Cahun, a nonbinary photographer and anti-Nazi activist.

Maria for [name_u]Maria[/name_u] [name_f]Callas[/name_f] and St [name_u]Maria[/name_u] Goretti. (Wait do saints count?)

Many of these would be middles only and not all are girls names but…

Seurat ([name_m]Georges[/name_m] Seurat)
[name_f]Cicely[/name_f] ([name_f]Cicely[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_m]Barker[/name_m])
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m] ([name_u]Van[/name_u] Gogh)
[name_u]Frost[/name_u] ([name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_u]Frost[/name_u])
[name_m]Bard[/name_m] ([name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m])
Curie ([name_u]Marie[/name_u] Curie)
[name_u]Marlowe[/name_u] ([name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u])
[name_m]Edgar[/name_m] ([name_m]Edgar[/name_m] [name_m]Allan[/name_m] [name_u]Poe[/name_u])
[name_u]Poe[/name_u] (see above)

Brontë, [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_f]Emily[/name_f] for the Brontë sisters

1 Like

[name_f]Tove[/name_f] after [name_f]Tove[/name_f] [name_m]Jansson[/name_m]. Her Moomin books defined my childhood (to the point that I think I might have gotten most of my personality from them :smile:) and as an adult, I love her literary fiction. Most of her books focus on love, acceptance, and compassion, and I’d love to name my child after her.

[quote=“[name_u]Harvest[/name_u]-[name_u]Endellion[/name_u], post:3, topic:358824”]
I meant to put this under Baby Names and include male names.
[/quote]

I moved this to [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Names for you!

Eise for Eise Eisinga

1 Like

My mum is [name_f]Georgina[/name_f] and I used [name_u]George[/name_u] as a middle name. I only believe in using honour names if you actually like the name of the person you are honouring or variants. I did consider [name_u]Jesse[/name_u] as a middle name to honour my sister who is [name_f]Jessica[/name_f].

I would also consider [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] and [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] as honour names. [name_f]My[/name_f] OH and brother.

Léonard after [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] da [name_m]Vinci[/name_m], [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] after queen [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] and [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] after tsar [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] II.

Curious if you like [name_f]Eyre[/name_f], [name_f]Villette[/name_f], [name_f]Shirley[/name_f], or [name_m]Bramwell[/name_m] as well?

I do love [name_f]Villette[/name_f] and [name_f]Eyre[/name_f]! [name_m]Branwell[/name_m] has it’s appeals too. I also like [name_f]Isabella[/name_f], Hareton, [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_f]Helen[/name_f], [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f], Snowe, [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Polly[/name_f], [name_f]Paulina[/name_f], [name_m]Graham[/name_m] and [name_m]Isidore[/name_m] so I think one way or another, at least one of my kids is going to end up with a Brontë inspired name :grin:

Wonderful! I need to return to my [name_f]Bronte[/name_f] reading as college was a long time ago!

I didn’t know his name was [name_m]Branwell[/name_m]! All these years, I thought it was [name_m]Bramwell[/name_m], which I like much better.

Bramwell has a softer sound! I believe [name_m]Branwell[/name_m] was actually his middle name and his mother’s maiden name :slight_smile:

1 Like