Will as a Nickname for Ellis

[name_f]My[/name_f] friend and I got into an argument over this, so I want to see what you think. Could [name_u]Will[/name_u] be a nickname for [name_u]Ellis[/name_u]?

I don’t think so. The only thing they have im common is the double L.

5 Likes

No, they have nothing in common really.

2 Likes

No, why

1 Like

No.

1 Like

I don’t really get it. :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks everyone! I didn’t get why [name_u]Will[/name_u] would be a nickname for [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] either!

Where theres a will theres a way

4 Likes

No- despite the double L, both names are very different.

1 Like

I can’t see it

1 Like

No, [name_f]Ell[/name_f] makes more sense

1 Like

no, can’t see it, although i’d be interested to hear the logic

1 Like

I really don’t get the logic! [name_f]My[/name_f] friend seems to think: Ellis>Ell>Ill>Will
I suggested the nickname [name_u]Eli[/name_u], which make more sense, but she doesn’t like it. Well, we were just talking hypothetically anyways, none of us are old enough to have kids.

1 Like

Not unless [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] is a middle to a first name starting with a W. Like [name_m]Westley[/name_m] [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] - [name_u]Will[/name_u]. [name_m]Even[/name_m] then that’s a stretch.

1 Like

I asked my friend and she says that [name_u]Will[/name_u] as a nickname for [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] “just feels right”.

Don’t see it!

1 Like

I really don’t think so, and I’m usually willing to be pretty stretch-y with nicknames. (And honestly, calling an [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] [name_u]Will[/name_u] takes away all the pizazz and magic from the name, in my opinion). [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] is short enough to not really need a nickname, and if you really want one, I think just [name_f]El[/name_f] is a perfectly gender neutral

1 Like

Does she like the name [name_m]Willis[/name_m]? Sounds similar to [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] and can use [name_u]Will[/name_u] as a nn?

1 Like

I don’t think she likes [name_m]Willis[/name_m], but I‘ll ask. It’s not a big deal, since she’s not having a kid anytime soon (we are both too young to have kids).

Yes. Anything can be a nickname for anything else. There are no rules about this.

Is it obvious? No
Is it expected? No
Has it been done before? Who knows.

Does it ‘work’? For me, yes. [name_u]Will[/name_u], like [name_m]Ned[/name_m], [name_m]Ted[/name_m], [name_u]Joe[/name_u], [name_u]Jack[/name_u] and other generally used boy nicknames work fine with lots of full names that may only share one letter or sound.

We have no problem with [name_u]Jack[/name_u] for [name_u]John[/name_u], [name_m]Dick[/name_m] for [name_m]Richard[/name_m], [name_m]Ted[/name_m] for [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_m]Ned[/name_m] for [name_u]Edward[/name_u], [name_m]Bob[/name_m] for [name_u]Robert[/name_u], etc. This is because these short forms have a long history of use, not because they are particularly like the full name. I like the freshness and ingenuity when people come up with their own new versions of these.

1 Like