will it be shortened??

We have decided, finally, on a name for our fourth child a boy. The name is [name]Anderson[/name]. But some people who i have mentioned the name to, say it will be shortened to [name]Andy[/name], what do u think? None of my other children have shortened names; [name]Myles[/name], [name]Leila[/name] and [name]Bronwen[/name]. And some say it is too long for a kid. Any thoughts?

[name]Anderson[/name] is too much of a surname, especially with your other kids’ names. What about [name]Anders[/name]? It’s the Swedish version of [name]Andrew[/name], and very handsome.

If you love the name you should go with your heart. Names are only shortened if allowed to be…I have a nephew named [name]Christopher[/name] and one named [name]Jameson[/name], no one ever calls them [name]Chris[/name] or [name]Jamie[/name], it is always their full names. When your child is older it might happen, but then it might be their choice and not yours. I love [name]Anderson[/name].

I agree with pp that you can always use the full name and others will follow suit. I also like the suggestion of [name]Anders[/name], but if you’ve decided on [name]Anderson[/name] then I say go for it!

You could name your son [name]Anderson[/name] nn [name]Anders[/name]. [name]Anders[/name] is a great name. It doesn’t sound anything like [name]Andy[/name]. [name]Anders[/name] has that solid surname sound.

I know an [name]Anderson[/name], just [name]Anderson[/name], never [name]Andy[/name], so I agree with the previous posters! I know a lot of people who go by their full names, so it’s definitely possible!

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I’m thinking about [name]Anderson[/name] [name]Cooper[/name]. I love his name. It fits him, too.

I used to know a boy in middle school who was named [name]Anderson[/name]. I really liked it and it was never shortened.

I think it would be more instinctive for people to shorten it if it were [name]Andrew[/name]. I don’t think it will happen much with [name]Anderson[/name]. [name]Set[/name] the example and correct people if needed. I love this name.

my son’s name is anderson and i also debated with it being shortened. my husband actually doesn’t mind andy and was the one that suggested we could call him that as a nn. but we’ve been calling him anderson and i don’t think it will be shortened unless we want it to be like previous posters mentioned. i love the name and it suits my baby boy perfectly…go for it!!

Sorry for the repetition, but I’m going to suggest [name]Anders[/name]. If you don’t tell people how to shorten it, they will shorten it on their own… most likely to [name]Andy[/name]. JMO

You’ve always got to consider that [name]Anderson[/name] would prefer to be called [name]Andy[/name]…

It is not too long but because it is a long name I would be surprised if he didn’t get a nn.

[name]Andy[/name] is a nice nn but if you don’t like that nn make sure you find one that you like and then say ‘His name is [name]Anderson[/name] but you may call him xxxxx if you like.’

Thanks for all the responses. I do like [name]Anders[/name] as well…so I will keep it in mind!