Will it come back?

For some reason I’ve been thinking a lot about [name]Agatha[/name] lately. I totally see the appeal of it, and [name]Aggie[/name] fits with the whole [name]Abby[/name]-[name]Addie[/name]-[name]Maddie[/name]-[name]Gabby[/name] blob of nicknames, plus the [name]Charlotte[/name]-[name]Amelia[/name] vintage trend. It’s definitely not in right now and I wouldn’t use it myself, but do you think it’ll come back soon? And what are your thoughts on the name?

I don’t think it will be very popular in the near future. I think its a fine name, but I think some people may be put off my the ‘[name]Ag[/name]’ sound. [name]Aggie[/name] is a cute nn, [name]IMO[/name]. It’s popularity may rise a little due to the web comic “Girl Genius” (where the hero is named [name]Agatha[/name]).

Thanks ewaggenspack! Any other opinions?

seriously? NOBODY else? please?

Maybe… I mean, I see what you mean with the vintage trend, and [name]Aggie[/name] is adorable, but I don’t particularly care for the name. I guess when [name]Edith[/name], [name]Agnes[/name], and [name]Gertrude[/name] come back, we’ll see some more of [name]Agatha[/name].

I think [name]Agatha[/name] seems due for a comeback. Whether or not it will, I’m not sure. It does seem to fit in with some trendys – I can see moving from the too popular [name]Abby[/name] to the fresher [name]Aggie[/name], but I just don’t have a strong feeling [name]Agatha[/name] will indeed make a comeback.

Perhaps this reservation is local, but our state college was originally and agricultural college – and many state colleges in the western U.S. were. Their teams are called the “Aggies,” so I do have that association.

As long as we are on this topic, I sometimes wonder where the “old lady” name trend will go – or if it will peter out. Many names once considered dowdy and finished have been refurbished to shine anew ([name]Cora[/name], [name]Nora[/name], [name]Pearl[/name]). It seems to me though, that some of the names left in that pool are just beyond help – [name]Hester[/name]/[name]Ester[/name], [name]Enid[/name] (although I’ve seen it on this board). I wonder if people will lose interest in grandma names, or if some will always be seen as possibilities once again.

[name]Agatha[/name] seems a case in point. If I had to bet one way or the other, I would put my money on a modest resurgence of interest in this name. But as I don’t have to bet – I won’t!

P.S. Personally – I think it is cute. It’s not a name I would use, but I wouldn’t be shocked if someone did.

Thank you so much guys! And [name]Bonnie[/name], you bring up a good point about the old-lady name trend. I believe in that 100 year rule, but I think you’re right that some names will never come back (I’d be pretty surprised to find a baby [name]Bertha[/name] or [name]Mildred[/name]). But my mom says that as a kid, her grandmother (who was born in the late 19th century) had tons of friends named [name]Emily[/name], so she always thought it was an old-lady name, and [name]Amanda[/name] was fairly popular in the late 1800’s before it dipped and started coming back in the 50’s and 60’s. So I guess it just goes to show you can never really tell!

To me it’s all about sound. Names like [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Stella[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Adelaide[/name] all sound pretty. The hard g sound followed by THU just sounds frumpy to me, I’m not sure that will change. However as a true nameberrier I love to see people step out of the box and try and bring back names. If you love it go for it. I seem to be in the minority on this one :slight_smile:

I don’t love the name, to be honest. I just think–Oh how can I put this in words?–it doesnt have a great feel to it. I’m not a fan of [name]Aggie[/name], but I’m starting to grow out of liking the nn [name]Abbey[/name] and am starting to prefer [name]Aggie[/name] for a nn for [name]Abigail[/name].

Oh I love [name]Agatha[/name]! I am an [name]Agatha[/name] [name]Christie[/name] nerd though, so that might explain it. :slight_smile: I too think [name]Aggie[/name] is an adorable nn.

As far as whether it will come back, it’s hard to say! My inclination would be no, but you never know.

I love [name]Agatha[/name]. One day, I wrote it down as a suggestion and it just hit me that I was in love with it. I’ve shared it with my grandmother, who hesitantly likes it and loves [name]Aggie[/name].

I don’t think it’ll ever make a ‘comeback’ in the way [name]Emma[/name], [name]Rosalie[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Clara[/name], etc. have. However, I find this to be ideal. If I ever have my own little [name]Agatha[/name] (a looong while after [name]Jasper[/name] makes his appearance. So ready to not be pregnant anymore), I’d want her to be one of few, not one of hundreds-there’s-one-everywhere-I-go. Everyone is familiar with [name]Agatha[/name] but it’s not common, heard everyday (or even every month or year!) or that appealing to the [name]Jaidyn[/name], Caidyn, Analynne crowd. Certainly a plus for me. I fell in love with [name]Jasper[/name] right before it went to the crazy up-and-coming stage and I’d love to see [name]Agatha[/name] stay on the definitely not used ever in [name]America[/name] side.

My great grandmother was aghast when I mentioned I loved both [name]Rosalie[/name] and [name]Clara[/name] for a future daughter. “That’s so old!” I couldn’t believe it. She likes names like [name]Ever[/name]. [name]EVER[/name]! BTW, her name is [name]Clara[/name] and she HATES it.

Sorry, I just don’t like it. [name]Just[/name] saying it is unpleasant. (Again, sorry).

Until recently, I really hated [name]Agatha[/name]. It was the “ag” sound for me that did it. But I have started to hesitantly come around with my opinion of the name. I work at a children’s clothing store (infant through size 6x so I hear the good and bad every day) and I was so pleasantly surprised to hear [name]Agatha[/name] on a little girl of about 5, amidst all of the [name]Jayden[/name]'s that I hear AT LEAST ONCE A [name]DAY[/name]! I found it quite charming since my naming style is very vintage and victorian, and have tentatively added it to my own list!

Jackiet, my experience was a lot like yours. I used to really hate it too, but it’s really grown on me. I don’t think I’d ever seriously consider using it because it is old-ladyish and not very graceful, but I love it for someone else’s kid.

I absolutely love this name!!! I would definitely use this it’s such a beautiful name. :smiley:

Not sure. From the way trends are going I should think it will eventually but not quite yet. I met a baby [name]Ethel[/name] the other day… so why not [name]Agatha[/name]! [name]Aggie[/name] is very cute btw!

I think it is! I used to hate it, along with [name]Agnes[/name], thought they were both impossible, old, ugly, ridiculous. Also used to not see the beauty in [name]Imogen[/name], either! Now I love [name]Imogen[/name], and [name]Agatha[/name] is growing on me a lot! (Still not crazy about [name]Agnes[/name], but [name]Agatha[/name] has the -a ending, the light ‘th’ sound). I think it is gonna come back. And bring back [name]Augusta[/name] ([name]Gusty[/name]!) one of my all time faves with it!!!