Will my daughter hate me...

I happen to love the name Loveday. Would I ever use it as a first name? No. As a middle name? Most definitely. It’s whimsical and charming and it has great history. You’re right about the origin of loveday. Who wouldn’t like something so decent and peaceful?

Wow, I think some of the other posters have been really rude here! :o( Loveday is a fine name. While I don’t know that I would use it as a first name, it’s a great middle and I think [name]Noella[/name] Loveday is just beautiful. Have you also thought about Lovejoy? Lovejoy is another surname-based fn, and she could go by [name]Joy[/name].

Loveday is a lovely surname, but I think teenage boys can come up with some weird stuff…
[name]Noella[/name]/[name]Noelle[/name] is sooo beautiful! it just rolls off the tongue!
I think [name]Noella[/name] Loveday is SO pretty!
I wouldn’t use Loveday for a fn, but a mn: Definetly!

[name]Isabel[/name]

Loveday sounds soooo made up. [name]Noelle[/name] is beautiful ! I wold definitly not use Loveday at all, not as a fn or mn.

Are people being rude? She asked if her daughter will hate her for that name. People said they would hate having that name. She clearly has reservations about it. [name]Just[/name] because it’s a cool name in theory and it isn’t made up, doesn’t mean that it’s a name a girl would enjoy having. I’m not being critical of the OP at all, but it’s just a fact that there are tons of really out there names, like Loveday (and like a lot of my favorites!), that look great on paper and are fantastic on characters in novels, but simply wouldn’t work very well for an actual person having to introduce themselves as that. There are some people out there who would enjoy being named Loveday, but they are rare. I think that’s the kind of name you should choose as an alias for yourself rather than bestowing it on a child. Or I stand by it being a great middle name, or even a nickname.

My brother’s girlfriends dog is named Lovejoy. She told me that and I thought it was adorable! She calls her L.J. I think Lovejoy would be ever so slightly easier to live with, since she could go by [name]Joy[/name] (Though, Loveday could go by [name]Daisy[/name]). But I still think it’s more fitting for a middle or a dog. :slight_smile:

I love Loveday too! I read mine in a book by veddy British [name]Rosamunde[/name] Pilcher.

I’ve been told people wouldn’t want my kids’ names, either.But more people have complimented me on the names. I wouldn’t have found how many people love, like, or cheerfully, uncritically tolerate my children’s names if I hadn’t tried.

If YOU love it, then that’s 90% of things right there. Use it, if you love it.

[name]Noelle[/name] is a nice, pretty, well-used name and you’ve got it in the middle position. Use Loveday. If she doesn’t like it, then let her go by her middle name. Easy peasy. That’s what middle names are for, right? Plan B?

With names like [name]Tuesday[/name] and [name]Sunday[/name] floating around, why NOT Loveday? It’s sweet and simple and isn’t some kree8tif monstrosity based on the current Top 10.

I also read this name in “The [name]Little[/name] White Horse” when I was a child, and I loved it! I would have to say, though, as lovely as it is, if you were going to use it, I would recommend that you put it in the middle name spot as it might be a little difficult to live with growing up. I agree with previous posters that [name]Noelle[/name] Loveday would be much easier to live with, but keeps both of the names you love!

My mother’s surname was Lovegrove, she couldn’t even handle that! And when she later divorced she kept her husband’s name to avoid going back to it. (Actually I think it’s a great surname). [name]Don[/name]'t call your daughter Loveday.

I love [name]Noelle[/name] as a middle name for [name]December[/name] babies! I think [name]Love[/name] could be a cute nickname, but Loveday may be a little too different, especially to other kids. [name]Love[/name] [name]Noelle[/name] sounds adorable

As a teacher, I definitely think having the name Loveday would be tough on a student. However, I think the idea of naming your daughter [name]Noelle[/name] Loveday is a great one. It makes me think of [name]Tobey[/name] [name]Maguire[/name], whose daughter is [name]Ruby[/name] Sweetheart. You can get away with anything as a middle name and your daughter will still know and appreciate your love for her middle name. If it makes you feel any better, there was a book by [name]Kate[/name] White (the editor of [name]Cosmo[/name]) and one of the characters names was Locket…and I thought, “how cute!” My husband just rolled his eyes :slight_smile:

I think that Loveday works, but it works best in the middle. [name]Natalie[/name] means “[name]Born[/name] on [name]Christmas[/name],” and would certainly work for a [name]December[/name] baby. Lovejoy sounds better to me, but again, I would only use it in the middle if at all. You have to follow your instincts, though. You’ll know the right name when you find it, and if Loveday is the one, it’s the one.

I think it is neat that you found an unusual name in a book - like how [name]Susan[/name] [name]Weaver[/name] found “[name]Sigourney[/name].”

I have for some time thought Manolin, the young boy in [name]Hemingway[/name]'s “The Old [name]Man[/name] and the Sea,” would be a great namesake, but have similar reservations when it comes to the risk of people reacting with,“that’s beyond unusual…that’s just weird.”

Loveday [name]Noelle[/name] has a nice rhythm and ring to it. When you flip the names, I think you lose something in terms of the sound of the two names together, but I think you get it back if you go with [name]Noella[/name] Loveday.

I too believe anything goes when it comes to middle names.