Will these become too popular???

When our first baby arrived, my dad had just passed away, and so we made our son his namesake ([name]Henry[/name], now 2). We thought [name]Henry[/name] was an ‘old’ and uncommon name for a baby boy at the time, and so are now surprised (and a little dismayed!) to find it an increasingly popular name. With only three days to go before our new arrival, I am looking for some feedback on names we fell in love with long ago, but fear may be on the rise. Would love your feedback on these names, and on whether you think they are bound to be too popular?
Girl: [name]Isla[/name] [name]Penelope[/name]
Boy: [name]Jasper[/name] [name]Solomon[/name]

yes, these 2 names are becoming popular!

I love [name]Isla[/name] but it will rise in popularity a bit because of the movie star [name]Isla[/name] [name]Fisher[/name]… same goes for [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Cruz[/name]. [name]Jasper[/name] could rise in popularity because of the Twilight series.

I see [name]Isla[/name] mentioned a lot around here and I know of 2 baby Islas. [name]Jasper[/name] is of course a Twilight name and I just read that a popular country music star and his actress wife named their newest son [name]Jasper[/name]. You never know, it could become “popular.”

But being “high” on a popularity list doesn’t necessarily mean that your child will be plagued by tons of kids having the same name. If you really love the name, you should go for it. Your child will be unique because of who he is, not what he’s named.

[name]Both[/name] names will be very popular. All of my friends who have been pregnant in the last two yrs have had isla, penelope and jasper on their short lists.

I’m thinking it might depend on where you live. I have not heard of a single [name]Isla[/name], nor anyone considering it where I am (mid-south U.S.) – I’ve only seen it referred to on this site in fact (that could be sheer ignorance on my part, but I kind of doubt it because I have a 4 year old and a 6 year old involved in many activities and such and I really do notice names). My next door neighbor has just used [name]Penelope[/name] nn [name]Penny[/name], but I have not heard it otherwise. Can’t say I’ve seen a lot of Jaspers (or any that I can recall at this moment), but perhaps I just haven’t been noticing that name. I, too, have a [name]Henry[/name], and we were also surprised by the many many [name]Henry[/name]'s all around soon after he was born in '05. My guess is that while these particular names may be rising in the charts, you may have a few years where yours is in the only one in the class (again, depending on where you live – perhaps these names are much more popular already in larger metropolitan or simply hipper areas).

I think that all of these names are increasing in popularity for sure, BUT I do not see the possibility of [name]Isla[/name] becoming the next [name]Emma[/name] or [name]Olivia[/name]. Same goes for [name]Jasper[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name]. I think that since these names are not “unheard of” names they might feel a bit more popular than, for instance, [name]Noemi[/name] (which I never heard of before this site). On the SSA site (for popularity) [name]Isla[/name] is ranked 623 and [name]Noemi[/name] 624. The difference here is [name]Isla[/name] [name]Fisher[/name]. A lot of us have heard of her, so therefore have heard the name [name]Isla[/name]. I think that [name]Isla[/name]'s spelling will hold it out of the top 100 for quite some time. An easy pronounciation and spelling are two of the most common “requirements” for baby naming. While gorgeous, [name]Isla[/name] doesn’t necessarily fit into those requirements.
As for [name]Jasper[/name], its ranked 452, while [name]Nasir[/name] is ranked 448 and [name]Talon[/name] 465. As a name, I can think of three places I have heard [name]Jasper[/name] being used: Twilight, 101 Dalmations, and The [name]Holiday[/name]. I guess the point I’m trying to make (sorry for the huge ramble) is that maybe these names [name]FEEL[/name] more popular because we can connect them to something we’ve already heard of. I think you’re safe using [name]Isla[/name] and/or [name]Jasper[/name].

sidenote: For what it’s worth, I’ve never met ANYONE with any of your names…and I quite like them! :slight_smile:

I love the name [name]Jasper[/name]. I know that [name]Brad[/name] [name]Paisley[/name] and [name]Kimberly[/name] Wiliams named their son [name]Jasper[/name]. Quite a lovely name but that might boost it’s populatiry

[name]Isla[/name] is already popular in the UK, and is very much on the rise. I wouldn’t choose this because I think it’s one of those names that gets some of its beauty by being unique. A few years ago my bf and I spent time in [name]Islay[/name] (pronounced the same) in [name]Scotland[/name] and that is where I decided I loved the name, but now I wouldn’t choose it because it’s rising too fast.
In contrast, I think [name]Penelope[/name] may become more popular, but it’s more of a classic. It’s a good time to choose [name]Penelope[/name].
I think [name]Jasper[/name] is even further behind, but will ultimately become popular. It’s so gorgeous that it has to be the next [name]Jack[/name].

I love all 3 names, but if I were you, I would choose [name]Penelope[/name] (with a lovely nn like [name]Poppy[/name]) or [name]Jasper[/name]. They both go so well with [name]Henry[/name]. In the end though, you have to choose what you love, even if other people love it too.

I think [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Jasper[/name] will only climb the popularity charts in the next couple of years, while [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Solomon[/name] will remain in the same area where they are now… I see both [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Jasper[/name] as “hipster” names that will soon enough be super popular!

I love both your combos though! [name]Isla[/name] [name]Penelope[/name] sounds wonderful, and [name]Solomon[/name] is a lovely surprise following [name]Jasper[/name]. I think both the names have a “whimsical” quality to them that I really appreciate… They’re fun names, and I think your children would absolutely love having them, apart from the fact that they may have to share it with other children in their class and such…

Stylistically though, [name]Henry[/name], [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Jasper[/name] makes a fabulous sibset, so perhaps you should shrug off the popularity issue and go with them? That way, you won’t risk [name]Henry[/name] feeling like the odd one out either, because he might if he has the most “boring” and common name among his siblings… I know how that feels, and it should be avoided…

I wish you the best of luck with your dilemma! Hopefully, you’ll figure out how to deal with it in a way you’re happy with ^^

I’ve never heard of [name]Isla[/name] until I came here. That doesn’t really mean too much besides the fact I live under a rock :wink: [name]Jasper[/name] is one of those you either love it hate names. I personally love it. I guess the fact that it has a tie to fame thanks to Twilight would certainly boosts it’s popularity but with which age group? Sometimes I really wonder which age group is more effected by the names from that movie. If it is the younger crowd then I’m sure there will something bigger and better to add it’s influence for before the above group has children.

I love [name]Henry[/name]! :slight_smile:

Not to sound like a broken record, but yes, both names are becoming more popular. [name]Isla[/name] is similar in feel to names like [name]Lila[/name] and [name]Ella[/name], so feels like a fresher alternative to such names. Because of this, I’m guessing there’s a good chance that [name]Isla[/name] won’t feel as fresh as its popularity continues to increase.

That said, [name]Isla[/name] may never break the top 100, and only time will tell. If you love [name]Isla[/name] (I think it’s gorgeous), I think you should use it, because in the end, no name is really safe from popularity.

For instance, I love [name]Beatrix[/name], and while it’s underused now, all it takes is one popular celebrity to name her child [name]Beatrix[/name] and…BAM! [name]Just[/name] like that, [name]Beatrix[/name] will become popular.

I really love [name]Jasper[/name], too, but like others have mentioned, [name]Kimberly[/name] [name]Williams[/name] and [name]Brad[/name] [name]Paisley[/name] have a little [name]Jasper[/name], and he’s apparently a Twilight character. Tat said, like [name]Isla[/name], if you love it, I think that’s what matters.

For what it’s worth, I think that [name]Solomon[/name] is safe! :slight_smile: (I love [name]Penelope[/name], too!)

If you’re interested in more names, you may also like:

[name]Beatrice[/name]/[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]/[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Rose[/name] (it’s not popular as a first name)
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

[name]Atticus[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] (popular, though)
[name]Phineas[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Truman[/name]
[name]Victor[/name]
[name]Xavier[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I think [name]Isla[/name] will become more popular but not very common that there will be 3 Islas’ in your childs class. I don’t think [name]Jasper[/name] will become very popular.

I love the above names, especially [name]Penelope[/name]. These names are going to get popular. But I doubt they will get super popular. But maybe [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Jasper[/name] will hit the top twenty. It wouldn’t be that bad though, if they did. They are beautiful names.

I really love both [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Jasper[/name]. I think they are rising in popularity, but will never reach Top 10 status, or even Top 50. I would definitely still use them, especially if you love the names.

[name]Love[/name] both of your names. Great choices.

I go through birth announcements for my blog, names4real@wordpress.com and I rarely see any [name]Isla[/name]'s or [name]Jasper[/name]'s. I think they will become more popular, but never as popular as [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Aiden[/name], [name]Jaden[/name], [name]Caden[/name], et all. I see tons of those. Good luck!

I love [name]Jasper[/name] and while it could rise I don’t think it will become the next [name]Jack[/name], at least I hope not. I think it is a great name and it is a pity not to use such a great name.

[name]Even[/name] though there were three [name]Jacquelyn[/name]'s in my daughter’s class since she has left school I have hardly ever heard of one, and then they were much older than she was, my point is that while there may be a couple of Jaspers at school I don’t think you will not find a glut of them and when they leave school it will be occasionally not commonly.

[name]Isla[/name] too is lovely and I can’t really see it spiking in popularity to the point of being the next [name]Emily[/name], so I would use it.

While the mn’s you have chosen go very well and make a nice fresh combo I can’t see them getting super popular at all.

Depending on what mn you have chosen for [name]Henry[/name] it would depend on whether I used [name]Soloman[/name] or not, eg if you have chosen [name]Henry[/name] [name]John[/name] then I don’t think it would be a match with [name]Jasper[/name] [name]Soloman[/name] but if you have [name]Henry[/name] [name]Atticus[/name], or [name]Aaron[/name] or [name]Joel[/name] etc then it would make a good match.

But at the end of the day give your child a name that is close to your heart and you won’t be sorry even if it is popular and make sure that you like the nn’s of that name too.

I think those are fantastic names and who cares if they become popular. I was born in 1977 and names [name]Jessica[/name] which was the most popular girl’s name for the next 20 year. Now that I’m in my 30s I rarely meet someone with my name. For being such a popular name it hasn’t plagued me with meeting myself everywhere I turn. :slight_smile:

I lost my Dad just before my son was born… and my husband lost his when he was a teenager. So our son is now [name]Paul[/name] [name]David[/name], after his grand-dads. Now I’m really happy with [name]Paul[/name], since its classic but very uncommon at the moment. [name]Do[/name] you have any other family names you can draw on?