Will this name be constantly mispronounced?

we love the girl’s name [name_f]Lia[/name_f] - and much prefer this spelling over “[name_f]Leah[/name_f]”.

However, I am wondering if people will constantly mispronounce her name as [name_f]Lya[/name_f]??

I assume you pronounce [name_f]Lya[/name_f] as LIE-ah. I would pronounce all three [name_u]LEE[/name_u]-ah, but would be most confident that it is correct for [name_f]Lia[/name_f]. I’m sure some people will mispronounce it as there are always people who seem to manage to totally mangle the pronunciation of the simplest names, but in general, [name_f]Lia[/name_f] seems pretty safe.

[name_f]Lia[/name_f] seems to me to lend itself most naturally to the [name_u]LEE[/name_u]-ah pronunciation. I’ve never met anyone with a name pronounced as LIE-ah, so that wouldn’t be as intuitive a leap for me. Also, with names like [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] reasonably on-trend at the moment, the idea of -lia name endings being pronounced [name_u]LEE[/name_u]-ah (albeit slightly differently stressed) already supports the [name_f]Lia[/name_f] spelling.

[name_f]Lia[/name_f]'s pronunciation is pretty obvious so I think you’ll be fine.

I’d assume [name_u]LEE[/name_u]-ah.

I’d assume [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-uh for [name_f]Lia[/name_f]

I would always say [name_f]Lia[/name_f] the same way as [name_f]Leah[/name_f]. Like [name_f]Mia[/name_f], [name_f]Nia[/name_f], or [name_f]Tia[/name_f].

I think [name_f]Lia[/name_f] is pretty obvious as [name_u]LEE[/name_u]-uh and I don’t think there’d be any trouble with pronunciation at all, honestly.

[name_f]Lia[/name_f] definitely reads [name_u]LEE[/name_u]-uh to me, just like [name_f]Leah[/name_f], or other -ia names ([name_f]Tia[/name_f], [name_f]Mia[/name_f], [name_f]Gia[/name_f], etc).

I would pronounce [name_f]Lia[/name_f] as “lee-ah.”

Yeah, as pp have said, I’d pronounce it [name_u]LEE[/name_u]-ah, just like [name_f]Mia[/name_f], [name_f]Tia[/name_f], [name_f]Pia[/name_f], [name_f]Gia[/name_f], or the ending of [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f], [name_f]Natalia[/name_f], [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], etc.

I’d assume [name_f]Lia[/name_f] and I agree that this is a prettier spelling than [name_f]Leah[/name_f].

[name_f]Mia[/name_f] is popular enough that most will know how to pronounce [name_f]Lia[/name_f] also :slight_smile:

Agree with this

I can see where you’re coming from, but I think if anyone ever pronounced [name_f]Lia[/name_f] the wrong way then it wouldn’t happen much. Names like [name_f]Mia[/name_f] and [name_f]Tia[/name_f] are common and I’ve never heard them mispronounced, so [name_f]Lia[/name_f] should be perfectly fine!

I’d also assume [name_f]Lia[/name_f] was pronounced [name_u]LEE[/name_u]-ah.

I would pronounce it Lie-a

I think it’s pretty commonly known and obvious that [name_f]Lia[/name_f] is pronounced lee-ah. And even if people didn’t know, the -lia ending in other names like [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Julia[/name_f] makes it easy to work it out.

I think your main issue would be people misspelling it, actually. [name_f]Leah[/name_f] and maybe even [name_f]Lea[/name_f] are more common spellings of the same pronunciation, so people will probably assume that it’s spelt [name_f]Leah[/name_f] or [name_f]Lea[/name_f] rather than [name_f]Lia[/name_f].