Will Twilight Fever Ruin My Future Son's Name?

See the results of this poll: Is Edward too Twilight?

Respondents: 34 (This poll is closed)

• Yes: 2 (6%)
  • No: 32 (94%)

I think you’re safe. Firstly, [name]Edward[/name] is a total classic. I did a bit of Googling and the first Twilight book was published in 2005 - in 1998, the only year prior to that that statistics are available for in the UK, [name]Edward[/name] was already the 44th most popular name for baby boys. In the US, [name]Edward[/name] was at #129 in 2004, and has actually got less popular since then, ranking #137 in 2009. Twilight really doesn’t seem to have affected its popularity, simply because it is such a classic that it was already in the public eye. For the other, rarer names, such as [name]Esme[/name] and [name]Rosalie[/name], then the books may have brought the names into the public consciousness, but [name]Edward[/name] didn’t need the exposure.

Secondly, as much as Twilight mania rules now, I don’t think it will stick around. The last Twilight film will probably be released next year. After the initial craze, the books really won’t have the back up of being well-written to give them staying power. The Twilight series is a fad that will pass, and by the time you have children it should be good and forgotten about.

[name]Edward[/name] is so handsome, I hope you get to use it in the future! [name]Auburn[/name]

Definitely don’t let Twilight keep you from using [name]Edward[/name]! It’s such a classic name with so much history that one book/movie series cannot take ownership of it, no matter how many raging fans it may have! I would say the same to a parent naming a baby even now, in the midst of Twilight fever. But especially in a few years after the craze has cooled down, the series should definitely not be reason to keep you from using this handsome name.

If you had a little [name]Edward[/name], some people of a certain age might occasionally ask if you’re a Twilight fan, to which you could simply reply that no, you just love the name. But I certainly don’t think most people would make that assumption. The name [name]Edward[/name] is much bigger than Twilight!

I think (hope!) [name]Edward[/name] transcends “Twilight.” I think it was resurgent before this sickness gripped the nation. I think [name]Edward[/name] was – and is – one of those classics ready to be reborn. I think its appeal began before “Twilight” and will last long after the last vampire has a silver stake driven through his heart.

[name]Edward[/name] is such a great name with great nn possibilities. I hope you don’t abandon it because of the tawdry, tacky 'tween books and movies.

I am sorry but i have to disagree on the saying that Twilight isnt well written. I think its a beautiful story and the books are very good! I mean, i dont ever read but those books hit me right in the eye!

As for [name]Edward[/name], why would a good series like Twilight ruin it? I can understand if you dont like the books/films but dont let that stop you from using a name you love!

Thanks everyone! I really hope twilight dies down, I like a few of the names associated with the series. [name]Esme[/name], and even [name]Robert[/name] (my grandmother had a son named [name]Robert[/name] who passed away at birth).

(Sorry to offend anyone who likes the series, but from seeing trailors I just don’t see the appeal. )

[name]Don[/name]'t judge a book by its movie.

Ok Im almost 25 so it’s a little embarrassing to say I like the Twilight books, but i do! And honestly the movies are not good at all, so i get why people who have only seen the movies or trailers think it’s awful. But i read all the books in about one week, so they must have been pretty good! But then, I’m not as literary as a lot of you ladies on here! But honestly, the books are a good read, don’t judge them based on the movies! That’s beside the point, though!

Is [name]Jacob[/name] too Twilght? Is [name]Isabella[/name]? No! I don’t think you’d ask someone who used those names if they were a big Twilight fan! The only difference with [name]Edward[/name] is that its not popular these days, but it is so classic that i can’t imagine anyone even thinking such a thing. It would never occur to me if someone told me they named their baby [name]Edward[/name] that it had anything to do with Twilight. Unless they were 16 and i knew they were a Twihard. You have nothing to worry about! [name]Edward[/name] is such a great name! I named my sons favorite [name]Teddy[/name] bear [name]Edward[/name] “[name]Teddy[/name]” (how original, lol).

Good luck having a son someday! Look into “natural gender selection” before you try to get pregnant!

Oh Twilight. I can’t say I love it or hate it. The first novel was good. Couldn’t make it through New [name]Moon[/name], but the movies are decent enough.

Anyway, as for the name, I have a [name]Bella[/name] (her nn). I got a little bit of grief at first from some friends, but, honestly, strangers don’t really mention it. If that’s your chosen name, go for it! Like one of the previous posters mentioned, [name]Edward[/name] is a classic. And it has personal ties. I think there’s no good reason not to use it :).

Names that we’re uncommon before Twilight, like [name]Esme[/name] and [name]Rosalie[/name] could possibly have a twilight connotation for a while, but names that were already classics like [name]Edward[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] will shrug twilight off once the movies are over.

Twilight has little staying power. The movies aren’t very well done. They’re not going to be something the next generation will love as much as the past like [name]Indiana[/name] [name]Jones[/name] or something along those lines.

And more importantly the source material has no staying power what so ever. [name]Meyer[/name] manages to make a good plot, but has no character development. More importantly her books are degrading to women to the point of being offensive. Twilight isn’t going to be a literary saga that will be loved for generations. It’s no [name]Narnia[/name] or [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name].

Basically it’s a passing fad. When your kid is a teenager I would be highly surprised if your son even knows what Twilight is. If you love the name [name]Edward[/name], then use it.

Oh, please use [name]Edward[/name] for your son! I agree with most everyone else. [name]Edward[/name] has been a rock-solid classic for centuries. No passing fad will ever own the name.

[name]Edward[/name] would make a handsome first name, and it would definitely be a first-rate middle name. The family connection for you is wonderful. Please use it for your future son!!

Sorry if I stepped on some toes. I haven’t read the books or seen the movies. My impressions of the movie (from the entertainment press) are (obviously) not flattering. But I don’t really judge other people’s escapist reading (or flicks). I like to reread kids’ books or read quite disposable mysteries myself. That doesn’t mean I think the vampire craze is any worse (or any better for that matter) than what I read and watch when I’m in the mood to escape.

I should have said “Twilight” is a fad. [name]Edward[/name] is not.