Will we have problems with Renner?

well …

The pronunciation is obvious, I think. Also, there’s a rising film actor, [name]Jeremy[/name] Renner. So you might have a celebrity reference to clarify the pronunciation for others if necessary.

I doubt [name]Wren[/name] will ever get that popular for girls. I’d be more concerned with the [name]Ren[/name] and Stimpy connection than the girlishness of the nn.

1. Spelling - I don’t think this is an issue. I think the spelling Renner is very obvious. The only problem that would arise is if you never specify your child’s gender and you have a certain accent (like English or Australian), in which case some people may assume it’s Renna for a girl. Sure, people probably won’t recognise the name, but the tendency is to spell unknown words phonetically and Renner is exactly how you would assume it’s spelled based on sound.

2. Nickname - Again, a non-issue. Yes, [name]Wren[/name] is becoming more popular for a girl. But it’s not so popular that it’s destined to be associated with girls, [name]Ren[/name] is still a popular choice for boys and quite common with older generations. I think it’s still definitely very “unisex” at the moment and will remain that way for a long time.

Essentially, I think it’s a nice problem-free choice and it goes really well with [name]Elton[/name]. What’s your daughter’s name, if you don’t mind me asking? :slight_smile:

[name]Genevie[/name] - My daughter’s name is [name]Prairie[/name]. Not the best sibset, but I don’t get caught up much in that. [name]Elton[/name] is also a family name, but all the family names for girls that we had were so atrocious that we couldn’t make anything work ([name]Erna[/name], [name]Hedwig[/name] - you get the idea). Her middle name is [name]Audra[/name], which is what my [name]MIL[/name] would have named a girl if she’d had one (had 4 sons), so that was as close to a family name as we could get.

One the other side of the spectrum, my husband is also in love with the name [name]George[/name]. It’s also a family name, but I recently discovered it’s my [name]SIL[/name]'s favorite, too. She’s not pregnant, but they’re TTC, and I told her I wouldn’t use it if she was absolutely sure she would. Now my husband worries she’ll change her mind, or never have any boys, and that we’re missing an opportunity to use it. I say, it’s her right to ask for the use of one name, and since we already have a boy, we were already able to use our first choice.

I agree with genevie. The spelling is very intuitive. Also, [name]Ren[/name] is very unisex nickname. I don’t think it’s too girly at all.

I don’t think the spelling should be a problem. [name]Even[/name] if someone didn’t know how to spell it the first time, I think they’d only need to be told once in order to remember it (it’s not as if there’s a silent letter or a more common spelling). As for the nickname, I only think of [name]Wren[/name] as a girl’s name when it’s spelled [name]Wren[/name]. [name]Ren[/name] is all boy to me. It’s similar to how [name]Erin[/name] and [name]Aaron[/name] are pronounced the same, but no one would ever think [name]Aaron[/name] was a female name (and vice versa).

I agree - Renner is nice. :slight_smile: (i have 2 boys and 1 coming so I’d tell you if I thought it was a bit girlish :)) I think that people may ask how it is spelled simply because it is not a common name, but it is the spelling that makes the most sense. [name]Ren[/name] is a fine nn, especially with [name]Remi[/name]/[name]Rem[/name] being on the radar. Best of luck!

I quite like the name Renner! I can’t fathom a problem with spelling and I think it’s masculine.
I wish it sounded nice with my last name…
:wink:

I think [name]Ren[/name] is a fine nn. I don’t think there will really be that many girls named [name]Wren[/name]. It’s not really a good nickname for any girls names and I don’t think it will age particularly well. [name]IMO[/name], it will mostly be used by people who are into nature names and I don’t think that’s anywhere close to a majority.

The spelling seems pretty intuitive to me. My first thought would be “Like [name]Brenner[/name], minus the B”.

I’m not sure what part of Renner would make people unsure of what they’re hearing–it seems pretty clear to me. Its a good, masculine name, and I like [name]Ren[/name] as a nn as well.

Thanks everyone. I didn’t think his reservations had much merit, but sometimes it’s hard to see outside of our little bubble.

And to Sully82 - I see you like [name]Elora[/name]. If this had been a girl she would likely have been Alora because I had a dream during my last pregnancy where I told someone that was what I was naming my daughter (and that’s how I spelled it in the dream). I swear I’d never heard it before. I didn’t end up using it, but I figured that it was meant to be if this was a girl (but of course, it isn’t). My husband is trying to talk me into a 4th already, so many they’ll be a chance for it yet.

[name]Love[/name] the name Renner - I love the nn [name]Ren[/name] ([name]IMO[/name] it is very nice unisex… I am considering the name [name]Marin[/name] if we have a girl with the nn [name]Ren[/name]). So I guess I don’t consider [name]Ren[/name] to be feminine or masc. more to me it works for both.
I might consider this name - I have been trying to find full names I like that shorten to [name]Ren[/name]…
Congrats and good luck!

I think the spelling is straightforward. I really like [name]Ren[/name] and it’s all boy to me. [name]Ren[/name] was the main male character in Footloose and then there is the cartoon [name]Ren[/name] and Stimpy.

I forgot about [name]Ren[/name] from Footloose! I first heard it as the nickname of a guy named [name]Lawrence[/name].

[name]Hi[/name],
[name]Just[/name] thought I would chime in…my son’s middle name is [name]Wren[/name] and I have never heard or met a girl with that name, so if it is rising as a girls name, it isn’t popular at all. Second, this is really embarrassing to admit, but I named my son that after the [name]Kevin[/name] Bacon character in Footloose (it was my favorite movie as a kid). However, he spelled it [name]Ren[/name]. I always loved the name, but I wanted my son to have the same initials as my grandfather so I changed it to make it a W. So, my point is, they are releasing a re-boot of that movie later this year. The character is still called [name]Ren[/name]. Maybe this will help you, in terms of familiarity, but in my opinion it is definitely a boys name.

Sorry, didn’t read all the replies first! I see someone already brought Footloose up… :slight_smile:

minicaroline - While [name]Wren[/name] certainly isn’t “popular,” it’s definitely going to the girls. There were 184 baby girls with that name last year, and only 32 boys.