Willa

I love the name [name]Willa[/name]. I love that is similar to my dear brother’s name, [name]William[/name]. I think it is so feminine and lovely. Also it is family name. But…my family is SUPER southern so they all say the name of my great-aunt “wuhllllllllllaaa” kind of like if you’ve ever met anyone from Kentucky, how they say Luhllville, instead of [name]Lou[/name]-ee or [name]Lou[/name]-is ville.

1. [name]Just[/name] checking, this is my family’s weird southern pronunciation right? Like you can say “will-a” right?
  2. [name]Will[/name] this confuse people if my future daughter’s grandmother, aunts, uncles, cousins, all say her name so different from how it is spelled? They don’t say it funny because it is different pronunciation like mad ah lynn v. line. It is just how they talk and make that vowel sound. When people read it, they will say “will-a” but if they are introduced to her by someone in the family (even me, if I’ve been spending a lot of time with the southern folks in the family) as “wuhllllllllaaa”
    Is it just too much of a hassle?

Yes, it’s typically pronounced will-a. I wouldn’t worry about your family. Any who talks with them will already know they have an accent and will understand it’s [name]Willa[/name]. PS. I love [name]Willa[/name] too :slight_smile:

I love the name [name]Willa[/name]

I love [name]Willa[/name] too, and I think ppl will understand it’s your family’s accent and will realize her name is [name]Willa[/name].