Willa's lunar MN...

I love [name]Willa[/name] as a first name and want a middle name that means or refers to the moon.

I had suggested [name]Willa[/name] [name]Luna[/name] on a previous post but am now convinced that it just doesn’t work. :expressionless:
[name]Phoebe[/name] was another idea, but husband really doesn’t like it.

SO…I need your help!

Here are other names that could work, meaning-wise at least, but I’m not in love with any of them, nor am I sure if they sound right with [name]Willa[/name].

[name]Lucine[/name]
[name]Chandra[/name]
[name]Selene[/name]
[name]Artemis[/name]
[name]Diana[/name]

These all just sound so dated to me…Any suggestions?

THANKS!
P.S. If the perfect lunar name just doesn’t exist, I could also be OK with a MN that refers to the night in general…

What about just straight out [name]Moon[/name]? Other suggestions…

Nuray- [name]Bright[/name] moon
[name]Isra[/name]- Travel at night
[name]Samar[/name]- [name]Night[/name] conversation
[name]Vespera[/name]- [name]Evening[/name] star
[name]Neoma[/name]- Greek, meaning new moon
[name]Rhiannon[/name]- Welsh goddess of the moon

Haha! Hadn’t even thought of [name]Moon[/name]! Thanks for the suggestions.

Also thinking of [name]Nyx[/name] now…

[name]Willa[/name] [name]Nyx[/name]

[name]Willa[/name] [name]Moon[/name]

[name]Willa[/name] [name]Lucine[/name] (prob too many L’s)

[name]Willa[/name] [name]Rhiannon[/name]

erg. this is hard.

I think the previous posters have names that mean ‘moon’ pretty well covered. However, I wanted to suggest [name]Willa[/name] [name]Celeste[/name]. [name]Celeste[/name] means celestial/universe, so I think it would fit in with that moon theme.

Some more names that relate to the moon…

Aiday- Kazakh, [name]Moon[/name] Child
Aiman- Kazakh, Beauty of the [name]Moon[/name]
[name]Aylin[/name]- Turkish, [name]Moon[/name] Halo
Aysel- Turkish, [name]Moon[/name] Stream
Aysun- Turkish, As beautiful as the [name]Moon[/name]
Feray- Turkish, Radiant as the [name]Moon[/name]
[name]Hala[/name]- Arabic, Halo around the moon
[name]Indu[/name]- Sanskrit, [name]Bright[/name] Drop, a name for the moon in Sanskrit
Mahin- Persian, Related to the moon
Marama- Polynesian, [name]Moon[/name] (goddess of the moon in Polynesian mythology)
[name]Monday[/name]- from Old English, [name]Mona[/name] ‘[name]Moon[/name]’ Daeg ‘[name]Day[/name]’
Nuray- Turkish, [name]Bright[/name] [name]Moon[/name]
Purnima- Sanskrit, [name]Night[/name] or [name]Day[/name] of the full [name]Moon[/name]
Senay- Turkish, [name]Merry[/name] [name]Moon[/name]
[name]Shashi[/name]- Sanskrit, traditional name for the moon

(got this from behindthename.com)

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

thanks for the suggestions!

and what a cool site!

[name]Willa[/name] [name]Rhiannon[/name] is gorgeous! Okay, I don’t know if this really fits, but I like the sound of it - [name]Willa[/name] [name]Celestine[/name]. [name]Celestine[/name] is a variant of [name]Celeste[/name] - which I also like! - and it means “heavenly.” Would that be lunar enough or not? It makes me think of celestial and all that stuff…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

PS I also think [name]Willa[/name] Nightingale would be amazingly cool!

Thanks for the help [name]Lemon[/name]!

I like that [name]Rhiannon[/name] and [name]Celestine[/name] both have three syllables. And they seem to “girly up” [name]Willa[/name] a bit. And [name]Willa[/name] Nightingale IS amazingly cool! I would [name]LOVE[/name] to use it, but DH used to be in a band called Nightingales, and while that may seem appropriate, I just couldn’t name my daughter after a bunch of booze drinking boys!

You don’t happen to have any other amazingly cool mns up your sleeve, do you? :wink:

BTW your signature quote is the best!

Thanks! Aw, he was in The Nightingales? Could be a nice tribute, but a bit odd, I concur. Hm. Let me just throw out some random ones that I like with [name]Willa[/name], okay? These aren’t really lunar…

[name]Willa[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Gwendolen[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Jessamine[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Mignonette[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Noelani[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Rosaline[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Shoshana[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Violet[/name]

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

My first thought was [name]Willa[/name] [name]Sky/name.

Okay not exactly moon… but moon in the sky… ummm…

Alkina means moon in Australian Aboriginal language.

[name]Willa[/name] Alkina sounds quite pretty!

What about [name]Willa[/name] [name]Selene[/name] or [name]Selena[/name]/[name]Selina[/name]? All mean moon (greek/spanish/english according to babynames.com).
Here are some other options:
[name]Artemis[/name] - greek goddess of the moon
Chantrea - cambodian, moon
Pensri - Thai, beauty and goodness of the moon

This has nothing to do with a name, but I came across this verse of a poem when I was looking for names referring to reflection of light in water and I thought you might appreciate it:

The sun was shining on the sea,
?Shining with all his might:
?He did his very best to make ?
The billows smooth and bright – ?
And this was very odd,
because it was ?
The middle of the night. ?([name]Lewis[/name] [name]Carroll[/name])

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
I’ve considered all of them, and I think I like [name]Celeste[/name] the best. Or maybe [name]Celestine[/name].

[name]Willa[/name] [name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Celestine[/name]

Also still tossing around [name]Willa[/name] [name]Moon[/name] and [name]Willa[/name] [name]Night[/name].

Other combos we’re still considering (outside of the moon/space theme) include:

[name]Willa[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Wren[/name]

If any one is still here…what do you think?

Thanks again!

[name]Willa[/name] [name]Celeste[/name] is very pretty. [name]Willa[/name] [name]Moon[/name]/[name]Night[/name] is cute also.

[name]Willa[/name] [name]June[/name]: I just love the name [name]June[/name].
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Violet[/name]: I like [name]Violet[/name] but I’m not sure I like how it sound with [name]Willa[/name].
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Wren[/name]: I’m just picturing cute little monogrammed baby stuff and love the two Ws together.

Favorites
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Wren[/name]

I looooove [name]Willa[/name] [name]Night[/name]…seems like a celebrity/author/superfamous person kind of name, the kind of name kids would be jealous of. I also like [name]Willa[/name] [name]Artemisia[/name] (instead of [name]Artemis[/name]) and [name]Willa[/name] [name]Celine[/name].

[name]Just[/name] wanted to let you know that [name]Celestine[/name] is also the name of a blue mineral, which may deepen the name’s relationship to moon/night, etc. to you. I agree that [name]Willa[/name] [name]Celestine[/name] and [name]Willa[/name] [name]Celeste[/name] are really pretty, as are [name]Willa[/name] [name]Night[/name] and [name]Willa[/name] Nightingale. I am also going to advocate for:

[name]Willa[/name] [name]Selena[/name]/[name]Celena[/name]/[name]Selina[/name]/[name]Salena[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] Soma (Sanskrit for moon)
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Aylin[/name] (Turkish for moon halo)
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Gwendolyn[/name] (Welsh for white circle, moon)
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Amaya[/name] (Japanese for night rain)
[name]Willa[/name] Nox ([name]Roman[/name] Latin form of Greek [name]Nyx[/name], meaning night)
[name]Willa[/name] [name]Samara[/name] (of Hebrew and Arabic origin, may mean night talk)

What do you think?

I actually think [name]Willa[/name] [name]Moon[/name] is the best of all the options you’ve been given.

other options:
[name]Ciel[/name] – french name meaning sky
[name]Crescent[/name]
[name]Mare[/name] (pronounced [name]MAR[/name]-ay or [name]Mar[/name]-eh) the latin word for sea, it is the term used to describe the darker basins on the moon which ancient observers originally mistook for seas.

What about using the name of an ACTUAL moon?
from [name]Jupiter[/name]:
[name]Kale[/name]
[name]Callisto[/name] (see photo here: http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/profile.cfm?Object=Jup_Callisto)
Europa (names ending in “a” can either be too much, or sound nice depending on your taste)
Isonoe (which I assume is pronounced eye-so-no-ay)

from [name]Saturn[/name]:
[name]Dione[/name]
[name]Rhea[/name]
Tethys

My only warning is that these tend to be named after Greek mythological figures, and if meaning is important to you (which I’m guessing it is) you would want to look up the myth to make sure it’s a story/character you are comfortable with.

I think [name]Willa[/name] [name]Mare[/name] sounds fantastic, and it combines the moon and “the dark” or night idea well! Granted, people will get the pronunciation wrong all the time. Sigh.

My other favs are [name]Willa[/name] [name]Dione[/name] (I pronounce it with 2 syllables [name]Dee[/name]-own but you could go 3 [name]Dee[/name]-own-ee) and [name]Willa[/name] Isonoe.

Good luck, and I can’t wait to hear what you choose!

Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful advice/suggestions. I’ve got a lot to think about, but baby’s not due till [name]June[/name]. For now I’m just going to sit back and try to not try so hard, if you know what I mean. But I will certainly let everyone know when we do decide!

Thanks again! You guys are the best! :smiley:

[name]Just[/name] one more suggestion: [name]Willa[/name] [name]Clementine[/name].
In 1994, the U.S. sent the NASA spacecraft [name]Clementine[/name] to lunar orbit. This mission obtained the first near-global topographic map of the [name]Moon[/name], and the first global multispectral images of the lunar surface. (from Wikipedia)

just kind of branching off…

willa starr
willa miele (ME-el. which actually is spanish for honey. get it? honey moon?..haha and OMG i all of a sudden want to put miele on my list!)
willa soleil
willa moon (i totally like this.)