Willoughby?

What are your thoughts on [name_u]Willoughby[/name_u] (pronounced like “willa-bee” or “willow-bee” depends on how fast you say it :P)? I know it isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I just adore it. I’m not concerned about it being too much for a FN because I don’t think I’d ever consider it up front, but mostly how does it work as a MN, and more specifically as a MN to [name_m]Joel[/name_m]?

Thanks!

I’m not a fan. It seems pasty and doughy to me.

I like both names, but as a combo, they’re very “L” heavy. [name_m]Just[/name_m] something to consider. But if that doesn’t bother you, then I say go for it!

I’m probably going to be in the minority, but I think [name_u]Willoughby[/name_u] sounds strong and charming. :slight_smile:

That is something I was worried about! I feel like the “L” in [name_m]Joel[/name_m] is really soft so it helps as opposed to something like [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] [name_u]Willoughby[/name_u] or something? Or I’m convincing myself that it’s fine, haha.

Too much L and very different styles. But I do like [name_u]Willoughby[/name_u] as a middle.

You think the styles are too different? I’ve always viewed [name_m]Joel[/name_m] as an American classic with the same amount of religious undertones as [name_m]Joseph[/name_m], [name_m]Joshua[/name_m], [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], etc. Maybe I’m wrong? Is [name_u]Willoughby[/name_u] too WASP-y while [name_m]Joel[/name_m] is overtly Old Testament?

I think it works as a middle name, but I wouldn’t use it as a first name. It reminds me of a TV presenter here in the UK. I do like it with [name_m]Joel[/name_m], though!

I really like [name_u]Willoughby[/name_u]. I struggle more with the similar [name_m]JOEl[/name_m] [name_u]WillOUghby[/name_u] sounds than the Ls–ends up a bit murky and smooshed for me. Full disclosure though, I really dislike the name [name_m]Joel[/name_m] (I just know 3 Joels I really dislike) so I don’t know if there’s a middle name you could suggest to make it sound nice to me!

I like the sound of the name, but it just makes me think of the jackass, [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Willoughby[/name_u], in Sense and Sensiblities !!

[name_u]Willoughby[/name_u] sounds like a stuffy old butler. I also find [name_m]Joel[/name_m] [name_u]Willoughby[/name_u] hard to say. Something about the -el/-il sounds so close together.

Oh I adore [name_u]Willoughby[/name_u]!! I’ve taken note of him in your signature, and it makes me smile because its a favourite of mine that I don’t see around much.
I actually have [name_u]Willoughby[/name_u] on my first and middle name shortlist for both boy and girl. I love the name (obviously) and it feels very willowy and natural and soft to me. I feel like [name_u]Willoughby[/name_u] is a very usable name, especially in the middle spot, but even as a first name.
[name_m]Joel[/name_m] [name_u]Willoughby[/name_u] is a fine combination, I don’t have a problem with it. [name_m]Joel[/name_m] is definitely not my style, but thats just fine! If you love [name_m]Joel[/name_m] [name_u]Willoughby[/name_u] I’d say stick with it.

Oh, how I love [name_u]Willoughby[/name_u]! It was on my first names list for a boy but my husband wasn’t sold on it :frowning:

I say go for it! It has a soft vintage feel and is handsome, charming and underused; a winning combo! I don’t find it at all too ‘l’ heavy or hard to say with [name_m]Joel[/name_m].