Willow...

[name]Hi[/name] everyone! What do you all think {honestly} of the name [name]Willow[/name] for a baby girl? I can’t decide how I feel about it and I’d love to hear your opinions. Thanks!

Honestly, to me it is a bit hippy-dippy, but many on this board seem to love it! I prefer [name]Willa[/name], but not by much. (Full disclosure: I recently came to the realization that I don’t like any names with the ‘W’ at the beginning, except for [name]Walter[/name].)

Thanks you…I was afraid it was a little hippish because of the strong association to nature.

P.S. [name]Walter[/name] is adorable!!!

I love [name]Willow[/name] (and [name]Willa[/name] for that matter), although [name]Willow[/name] is not the name for me. We have friends that just named their daughter [name]Willow[/name], and it is perfect for them! They are a fun, outdoorsy couple and had the name picked before she was even pregnant. Their son is named [name]Gage[/name]. So while I can’t picture myself using [name]Willow[/name] (it just doesn’t fit into our style of names), I love hearing it on someone else’s daughter! I think the very first time I heard it, it felt like a ‘hippie’ name for me. But after knowing a [name]Willow[/name] personally, and “meeting” a few online (and also hearing it a lot on baby name lists), it doesn’t really give me that vibe anymore. I see it as a very peaceful, strong, beautiful name.

Thank you gigi22! Your comment makes perfect sense to me…

My only concern is that I live in Small Town, USA, and the older people might and probably will call her [name]Willa[/name] (saying a instead of ow), but from what I’ve read on-line, [name]Willa[/name] could actually be a nn for [name]Willow[/name]…

I’m kind of buried deep in my feelings for this name!

Thanks, again, everyone for the helpful comments!

I absolutely [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Willow[/name] and it has been my first pick since after our 2nd DD was born but alas, DH doesn’t like it and we have a couple Ls in our last name so it is a mouthful.

I actually love that it is a nature name and even that it is a bit hippy but then again, that is my style in general.

I think it’s beautiful. Although it gives me old lady vibes. I think it is really pretty, none the less.

Why, thank you everyone! Your opinions are so helpful.

I love this name and had it on my list until recently. [name]Willow[/name] [name]Smith[/name]([name]Will[/name] [name]Smith[/name]'s daughter) is becoming a huge celebrity so this name will probably become suupppper popular. If it weren’t for the trendy factor…I would use it.

Some alternatives are…
[name]Winter[/name]
[name]Clover[/name]
[name]Meadow[/name]

My older sister’s name is [name]Willow[/name]. She’s 32, so it was quite unusual at the time. I remember whenever I would tell someone her name, I always got positive and interested replies. Because I grew up hearing it, it doesn’t sound weird to me, but I have never met another [name]Willow[/name] (I’m in Australia).

I can’t remember if it was me or my little sister, but when one of us was only a few years old, we couldn’t say the l’s in her name and it came out as “wiwwow” so we started calling her “Wo”. As she got older, she hated it, but I think it could make a cute/interesting nn.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Willow[/name]! It’s naturey and fresh, but I think it’s losing its hippy trippy associations somewhat. I definitely don’t see it as trendy, though. I think the nns [name]Will[/name] or [name]Wills[/name] are really cute for a girl. I associate [name]Willow[/name] with other botanical names like [name]Laurel[/name] and [name]Juniper[/name], which you might also like.

It’s a great name. The tree seems so mysterious and omnious, especially at night. I love that feeling.

It’s ok, but I much prefer [name]Willa[/name].

It is ok, but I also prefer [name]Willa[/name].

I think [name]Willow[/name] is a lovely name. I would team it with a beautiful classic mn eg [name]Willow[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name], [name]Willow[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]. I would definitely use it and I like that it has a slight hippie/naturey edge and besides that it is so feminine, it’s a great choice, don’t let old fuddy duddies change your mind about using a lovely name.

[name]Even[/name] though [name]Willow[/name] is becoming trendy, it sounds so classic to me. I personally love it. It’s so peaceful and nature-y…I can just see those branches swaying in the breeze. :slight_smile: I think it’s a great choice!