Winslet

I was looking at a Titanic DVD the other day and thinking about the name [name]Winslet[/name]. I personally don’t love surnames with no family connection, and I’m actually not really sure that [name]Winslet[/name] is even an authentic surname and not a stage name, but I really am kind of surprised that some parents haven’t latched onto this name for a daughter. It’s surnamey but feminine, has the -let ending like [name]Scarlet[/name] and the [name]Win[/name]- beginning which I have seen pop up on different messages lately. It reminds me of the lovely words winsome and eyelet (as in lace). What do you think? Could [name]Winslet[/name] catch parents’ eyes?

Ugh, I sincerely hope not! [name]Winslet[/name] is almost as bad as Aniston. But I agree-- I can see this one catching on, unfortunately. It may be too tied to [name]Kate[/name] [name]Winslet[/name], though; I don’t think I’ve heard it as a surname on anyone else. On a related note, I came across a little girl named [name]Windsor[/name] a few weeks ago. :frowning: They called her Windsie.

Ugh, I sincerely hope not! [name]Winslet[/name] is almost as bad as Aniston. But I agree-- I can see this one catching on, unfortunately. It may be too tied to [name]Kate[/name] [name]Winslet[/name], though; I don’t think I’ve heard it as a surname on anyone else. On a related note, I came across a little girl named [name]Windsor[/name] a few weeks ago. :frowning: They called her Windsie.[/quote]

Aniston! I was trying to think of a celeb whose last name had turned into a first name phenomenon, but coming up short. But for me, the sound of [name]Winslet[/name] is 100 times better than Aniston. It almost sounds like a girls’ name rather than a surname. Windsie is a bit much for me, but [name]Win[/name] or [name]WInnie[/name] I could deal with.

I dont like it. especially the ‘Slet’ part. I see [name]Win[/name]-slet (slet is as mcuh as slut here so yeah)

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I think it’s cute and has potential. I think it’d make a better middle name than first name, at least for now, though. But it works if you like the nickname [name]Winnie[/name] but don’t want to use [name]Winifred[/name] or [name]Winter[/name]. It kind of reminds me of [name]Violet[/name].

Me too. I mean, I would never use it personally, but I can appreciate it’s sound and it just seems very in-step with lots of popular trends.

I kind of like it. And I loooove Aniston/[name]Anniston[/name]/Anisten - I don’t know if I’m crazy b/c I feel like on every message board everyone hates it!! The Greys Anatomy actress Chyler [name]Leigh[/name] has a daughter named [name]Anniston[/name] [name]Kae[/name] and I know a little girl named Anisten [name]Gabrielle[/name].

I think it’s cute. I don’t know if I would ever use it, but I might like to meet a little [name]Winslet[/name]:slight_smile:

I think it’s cute, but I would never use it. Not because of the actress, but because it’s my cousin’s middle name! She’s in her twenties, so she had it looooong before [name]Kate[/name] [name]Winslet[/name] came onto the scene. I have no idea where her parents came up wih it. I think I was told at one point it was a flower, but googling it only brings up Ms. [name]Winslet[/name], no flowers. My cousin’s first name starts with a [name]Kay[/name] sound, too, so we used to kind of tease her. I do think it makes a better middle name than a first, but that’s probably due to association.