World building... what are your thoughts on this?

This subject was brought up by @Wandarine in another thread today but I’ve also seen it discussed on Instagram (in a screenshot from Tumblr) and I wanted to get others’ thoughts on it! Basically, how do you address certain words or phrases that were created from places in this universe, in a universe where those things didn’t exist / a universe you created?

For example, I was thinking about this as I read through something I wrote in my WIP. The story is told from first person by my MC, and she describes a sense of anticipation like a child waiting to jump into the ropes of a double dutch game. But… how could she know about double dutch? The Netherlands don’t exist in her world (not even an equivalent, I’m afraid) so there weren’t [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] immigrants in NYC neighborhoods playing a jumping game with two ropes for her to reference.

In this scenario, I’ll probably just end up using “jump rope” in place of “double dutch”, but what about things without a synonym? [name_m]How[/name_m] would you refer to a [name_u]French[/name_u] braid in a world with no [name_f]France[/name_f]? Or a “platonic” relationship with no one named [name_m]Plato[/name_m] having existed?

I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer to this, just maybe an interesting discussion. In my situation, I expect I’ll try to work around those situations, trying to find synonyms or use other descriptors instead, but it might be difficult to spot these words and phrases!

What are your thoughts on this? :smiley:

I dunno… one time I was going to write a scene where a boy threw a paper airplane at a girl during class, but then I remembered the setting predated airplanes, so I used the term “paper dart” instead. Neither one of them would have called it an airplane, right?

Usually, my stories take place on [name_f]Earth[/name_f], so I don’t typically run into the [name_u]French[/name_u] braid/Plato problem you described. Although most of my stories are set in the past, so I generally have to worry about anachronisms (things that don’t belong/wouldn’t have existed, etc. If my story is set in early 1800’s [name_f]France[/name_f], then the [name_u]Eiffel[/name_u] [name_u]Tower[/name_u] hadn’t yet been built.), if that makes sense.

3 Likes

This is something I’ve thought about a lot, and I think it really depends on the word, and what they refer to. I think if you are writing about a world that doesn’t have [name_f]France[/name_f], then you can’t have [name_u]French[/name_u] braids, and would just have to call them braids/pleats, but I think platonic is fine, because we don’t really have another word for it on [name_f]English[/name_f] (other than friendship). It’s also probably a word that a world without [name_m]Plato[/name_m] would have a different word for, but even if you thought about that in detail and invented an alternative word for a non-[name_m]Plato[/name_m] world, your readers aren’t gonna know what it means.

I also think it’s more acceptable in third person than in first. For example, gargantuan comes from the name of a giant in a [name_u]French[/name_u] book, so in a secondary world, gargantuan shouldn’t really be a word. So, a character thinking something is gargantuan doesn’t really work, but in third person if the author is telling you something is gargantuan, it’s fine.

2 Likes

I’d say platonic is fine, but [name_u]French[/name_u] Braids or said jumping rope game should be called something else - you could either call them just braids/jumping rope or invent an in-universe equivalent and call it, let’s say, a Dornish Braid if this was ASOIAF.

Saying you can’t use platonic because [name_m]Pan[/name_m] doesn’t exist makes sense, but it opens up a never ending rabbit whole. [name_f]Every[/name_f] word comes from somewhere! Next you question if your characters can say igloo when there’s no Inuit language, then if they can say liberty if there’s no [name_u]French[/name_u] language, and eventually will find yourself wondering why they speak [name_f]English[/name_f] at all. I suppose there’s no “correct” place to draw the line here, but being okay with platonic but not [name_u]French[/name_u] Braid seems like a good start.

1 Like

Your readers come from this world, so you can describe the things in your narrative and use words like [name_u]French[/name_u] and iphone or double [name_m]Dutch[/name_m]…but in the dialogue they might need to have different words

1 Like

no it does not :woman_facepalming:
should have decided between “can’t use platonic because [name_m]Plato[/name_m] doesn’t exist” and “can’t use pandemic because [name_m]Pan[/name_m] doesn’t exist”. Mixed them up instead.

2 Likes

I totally agree! I don’t think this would be as much of an internal struggle for me if the story weren’t told in first person. As @EJpuddlejumper said, an omniscient third person narrative could include these words/phrases but dialogue shouldn’t. In first person, it’s almost like my entire story is told in the form of dialogue!
I didn’t know that about gargantuan’s origin… I don’t believe I ever used that word but now there’s the question of what else I’ve used that has a similar backstory!

Yes! For the sake of my sanity, I decided in the beginning that the language my characters speak would just be [name_f]English[/name_f] with a different name. And I agree, there’s no correct place to draw the line.

1 Like

Personally, I wouldn’t use those words in the narrative, either, but I think that’s because of my writing style. I use deep third person, which means I follow one character at a time as close as possible without making them literally narrate the story. So I try to describe the world through their eyes and use words I think they would use.
But in other writing styles it could fit nicely or even be used for comedy! I’m thinking [name_u]Terry[/name_u] Pratchett here, who had a character wanting to say “like a fish with a bicycle” in a world without bicycles and has it come out as “like a fish with, you know, with something that doesn’t work underwater.”

I have been thinking up some more idioms and colloquialisms for the characters to say, which has been fun! I love this though lol. It actually does sound like something my MC would say so I’ll keep that concept in mind…

I would love nothing more than to build my own imaginary world, & to write some FanFiction stories too. The only problem is, I seem to be lacking in the creativity area, so I have yet to get started :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes