Worried about association

I recently have been crushing on the name [name_m]Hanson[/name_m] after seeing a YouTube family channel, who have named their fourth son [name_m]Hanson[/name_m] [name_m]Cash[/name_m]. However, in Australia, the association with the name might be a bit too much with [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] [name_m]Hanson[/name_m] who is known to not be the best person but I just can’t let go of the name. Any thoughts?

1 Like

Hey! I’m an Aussie too. I would think of the pop band [name_m]Hanson[/name_m] before thinking of [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] :grinning:

5 Likes

Ok I’m gonna preface this first, I love the sound of [name_m]Hanson[/name_m], love it. I don’t know who [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] [name_m]Hanson[/name_m] is and from what I looked up she’s not great but unfortunately there’s an even worse association that immediately popped into my head, and I feel it’s worth mentioning if you’re asking about associations. I’m gonna put it in a spoiler~

The association is [name_u]Robert[/name_u] [name_m]Hansen[/name_m]. He was a serial killer and rapist who killed at least 17 women and he was also called the “human hunter” because of what he did to those women

I’m not gonna go more into it other than that but I definitely feel it’s worth thinking about this and doing more research to come to your own conclusion on whether you’d still want to use this name. even if it’s a letter difference

I’m always gonna associate [name_m]Hanson[/name_m] with the boy band and they seem like nice dudes having not personally followed them in like twenty years.

6 Likes

I’m in the UK and my first association was the Holby City (medical drama) character, [name_m]Henrik[/name_m] [name_m]Hanson[/name_m] :grin:

I’d never heard of [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] [name_m]Hanson[/name_m], but I guess it depends on how well known a politician she is in Australia. If she is someone who everyone knows and is still current in politics, I personally wouldn’t do it as it would feel or could be taken as a political statement -sorry!

It is a cool name though

In the US, have never heard of [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] [name_m]Hanson[/name_m], but just here to say that [name_m]Hanson[/name_m] is really a fairly common surname with thousands of wearers in Australia (and even more in the US and elsewhere) so I don’t think the association would be automatic even if she is quite famous.

I’m Canadian and don’t know who [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] [name_m]Hanson[/name_m] is. [name_f]My[/name_f] sister was a huge fan of the boy band [name_m]Hanson[/name_m] in the late 1990s so when I see this spelling of [name_m]Hanson[/name_m] I do think of them, but I would be able to get past that association (not that it’s a horrible association anyway). The [name_m]Hansen[/name_m] spelling doesn’t remind me of the band at all.

If you’re looking for a name for an impending baby this might be a tougher question. If you’re just crushing on the name with no imminent plans to use it, I say keep it on your list and see how it feels over time.

[name_f]My[/name_f] first thought is the band, but I’m also a 90s baby and a big pop music fan. I have not heard of [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] [name_m]Hanson[/name_m], but I’m also not Australian. And I have heard of the other negative association mentioned, but I didn’t think about it until it was mentioned. Overall I think Hanson/Hansen is such a popular surname that the associations don’t really make or break it. It’s like [name_u]Carter[/name_u], [name_u]Anderson[/name_u], etc. There are so many associations that it sort of null-and-voids all of them, if that makes sense.

In the US and completely think of the boy band with this name!

I’m not Australian but do know [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] [name_m]Hanson[/name_m]. I would say most non-Australians have never heard of her but I’m interested in politics and once you hear about [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] you can’t un-hear what you know, if you get what I mean.

(I also know the boy band, but [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] was my first thought.)

I like the name but personally I wouldn’t use it for fear that even one person would think of her when hearing it, in the same way I wouldn’t name a child [name_m]Thatcher[/name_m].

[name_f]Edit[/name_f]: I guess it depends on what the individual is okay with the name representing. I wouldn’t want to be associated with someone like her.

I’m Australian and my first thought was [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] [name_m]Hanson[/name_m]. I wouldn’t use it for that reason, even if I loved it. The association is just too great, and unfortunately I think most Australians would think of her upon hearing it.

Ah, I didn’t even make the Australian-political association myself (and I am Australian), assuming you were speaking about the more global 90’s pop band association. I definitely understand not wanting the Pauline association, but I don’t think it connects too strongly to her when used as a given name (and the boy band association isn’t bad either for that matter, in my opinion). Reclaim the name.

Hanson is nice. I don’t mind it.

I’m not from Australia, nor have I ever been there. I associate it with the surname, and then the band, but I’ve never heard of [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] [name_m]Hanson[/name_m]. Might be different for people from Australia, though.

I’m from Australia and my first though was [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] [name_m]Hanson[/name_m]. For that reason I wouldn’t use the name now however I think in 10 years time it would be completely usable. It is a very nice name.

Honestly, you probably could use it now but just be prepared that everyone (in Australia at least) is going to go straight to [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] [name_m]Hanson[/name_m]. People might think you named your son after her.

Not Australian, nor do I know who [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] [name_m]Hanson[/name_m] is. [name_f]My[/name_f] association was [name_u]Chris[/name_u] [name_m]Hansen[/name_m], though it is spelt differently

Never heard of her-from america. [name_f]My[/name_f] first association is the band

i’m american so i don’t know how much use my opinion is, but i’ve never heard of [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] [name_m]Hanson[/name_m] and i just think of the surname :person_shrugging: