Worried We've Picked The Wrong Name

A little back story. We have a toddler named [name_u]Jameson[/name_u] “[name_u]Jem[/name_u]”. Before he was born, we had [name_f]Cora[/name_f] picked out for a girl. When we found out he was a boy we had a hard time agreeing on anything.

When we started TTC this time my husband automatically thought that If it was a girl, she would be [name_f]Cora[/name_f], since that’s what we had picked out the first time. But I wasn’t so sure. I looked at a bunch of girls names. We also considered [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]. I was opposed to [name_f]Cora[/name_f] for a while, but came back around, and fell in love with it again when I started to binge watch Downton during early pregnancy.

Now I’m 19 weeks and we’ve been calling her [name_f]Cora[/name_f]. We even announced that her name was [name_f]Cora[/name_f] when we found out she was a girl, because we have a few friends expecting girls and didn’t want the name to be taken before we claimed it.

But all of a sudden I’m hesitant! We haven’t gotten a ton of positive reactions to it- mostly people think it’s an old ladies name. Everyone is always surprised when they ask if we have a name and we say ‘[name_f]Cora[/name_f]’. It’s actually to the point where it sounds awkward to myself when I say it out loud to someone else. I’m worried it sounds to harsh, like a political group or something, and not girly enough. We are also struggling with middle names, but are considering [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] and [name_u]June[/name_u] as front runners.

[name_m]Will[/name_m] [name_f]Cora[/name_f] fit a baby and grow well through childhood and into adulthood? Is it too short or does it have some girly flair? Does [name_u]Jameson[/name_u] and [name_f]Cora[/name_f] sound ok together? What vibe do you get from them together and [name_f]Cora[/name_f] on its own??

Our sons name wasn’t necessarily either of our ‘favorite’ options. When he was born I actually really strongly felt he was a [name_m]Liam[/name_m], which DH didn’t like at all. Plus we had been calling him [name_u]Jameson[/name_u] for a few weeks and someone even monogrammed a few things, so we just let it be, and it suits him well. I feel like all babies become their name eventually.

Tell me I’m overthinking this??? I didn’t want to bring it up with DH becuase [name_f]Cora[/name_f] is the only name he has every really loved and he would flip if I even mentioned that I was having any doubts!

I think [name_f]Cora[/name_f] is a lovely name! It’s not an old ladies name at all. Go figure it’s on my short list and [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] is on my husband’s lol I love [name_f]Cora[/name_f] so much because it’s cute on a baby and sophisticated on a woman. [name_f]Cora[/name_f] and [name_u]Jem[/name_u] sound wonderful together!

I think [name_f]Cora[/name_f] is lovely and it will age well. I wouldn’t worry about some of the negative feedback. I definitely think [name_f]Cora[/name_f] sounds feminine. And I think [name_u]Jameson[/name_u] “[name_u]Jem[/name_u]” and [name_f]Cora[/name_f] go well together.

I have never thought of [name_f]Cora[/name_f] as old-lady or anything; actually, I feel the opposite, and almost worry that it wouldn’t age well. But I think it’s a simple, beautiful name, and that [name_u]Jem[/name_u] and [name_f]Cora[/name_f] is the most adorable sibset I’ve seen all day.

People are always going to be negative because they’re thinking of names THEY like, and if [name_f]Cora[/name_f] isn’t on their list they won’t get excited.

It’s also incredibly feminine to me – soft with the long O and long A, but just a touch of crispness with the hard C.

I like [name_f]Cora[/name_f]! More so than [name_u]June[/name_u]. I think it will age well too.
I understand your anxiety, naming is soooo hard.

This! I think a lot of people (well, most), have trouble getting over themselves when it comes to other people making decisions. If you’ve ever watched those wedding shows (“[name_m]Say[/name_m] Yes to the Dress”) you’ll see how family and friends tear a dress to shreds and often end up making the bride-to-be question her self, her style, what she wants, etc. The same thing is happening to you. People don’t like it because it isn’t their taste, so their disapproval is causing you to question everything. Both [name_f]Cora[/name_f] and [name_u]Kora[/name_u] are in the top 1000, and it sounds similar to [name_f]Nora[/name_f] and [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], which are also in the top. Older generations naturally have a very different feel for names, so to them it might be an old lady name.

The sibset sounds wonderful. I can imagine two kids running in a field of flowers or sitting next to each other intrigued by an old book. I’m also not the type that can see a baby and say “that looks like a ___”, so for me a child will own whatever name they are given.

Thank you all so much, your feedback was super helpful!

I think it may just not feel ‘real’ until I see her and am able to connect her name to her face. I really do think [name_f]Cora[/name_f] is perfect for us, but as it was mentioned, naming a baby is SO stressful! I totally end up overthinking things.

I think we’ve taken [name_u]June[/name_u] off our list, after we found out that it was the name of my great grandmothers baby sister who died in infancy. I don’t believe in bad luck or anything, it is just a tad odd for me!

So right now our front runners are [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]. Our family tends to use a lot of nature middle names for girls, and Stargazer [name_f]Lilies[/name_f] were our wedding flower, so I think that’s kind of neat. I also think [name_f]Lily[/name_f] gives [name_f]Cora[/name_f] a fun and playful sound. But I like the sound and flow of [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] a bit better.

So we are still hunting for the time being!

I think [name_f]Cora[/name_f] is a lovely name. It’s strong but feminine at the same time. Maybe the reaction you are getting from people is more of a, “wow, you already named your baby and you are only 19 weeks preggo?” But don’t actually want to say that lol. (I mean, I see nothing wrong with it, but I really don’t know many people who announces the name of their baby that early on).

[name_u]Jem[/name_u] and [name_f]Cora[/name_f] sound great together.

[name_f]Cora[/name_f] is a lovely name and [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] is beautiful. I think it has a better flow than [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. You could consider [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] or [name_f]Liliana[/name_f]? I think longer names sound better with [name_f]Cora[/name_f]

I love [name_f]Cora[/name_f], and it’s beyond perfect with [name_u]Jem[/name_u]. It’s not crazy popular (like [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]) but it’s not exactly super obscure either, so I don’t think most people will only think of it as an old lady name. There are plenty of young Coras around now; it’s really sweet, strong and spunky [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

My favourite combo is [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Lily[/name_f]; it’s simple and beautiful. [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] is OK but I’m not wild about the flow with [name_f]Cora[/name_f] - I feel the a’s run together a bit. I also like the suggestion of [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] for something a bit more grown-up.

[name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] is stunnning!

[name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] is just gorgeous!

The only reason we have a name picked out so early is because we’ve had it picked out since before we even had our first. And my husband and I never agree on names, so [name_f]Cora[/name_f] has been the only thing we’ve ever both loved.

We wouldn’t have announced it so early, but like I said we have several friends expecting girls with due dates before mine, and I’d hate for someone to use [name_f]Cora[/name_f] and then we have no options for names.

I don’t think their reactions were because we had a name picked out early. Everyone always asks if we know what we are having, and then the next question is if we have a name picked out yet. They don’t seem to hate it but just don’t seem thrilled either. I guess I hoped for more ‘wow, what a pretty name!’ Reactions.

I don’t think it’s odd at all to go into this with a name for each gender. Especially since we were TTC for almost all of 2015, had two losses, and a lot of time to think about it.

I am not a huge fan of [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]. It sounds very ‘old lady’ to me (it was my best friends great grandmother) and I think I want something that sounds fresh and sweet.

Some other ideas I had that DH vetoed-
[name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_u]Blue[/name_u]
[name_u]True[/name_u]
[name_u]Everly[/name_u]
[name_f]Elouise[/name_f]

I’m personally not a fan of [name_f]Cora[/name_f]. This is because I associate it with [name_f]Cat[/name_f] [name_f]Cora[/name_f], an Iron chef who is very tough and rarely smiles. So, I see it as a guarded sort of mean name. This is just what I think of keep in mind, if you love [name_f]Cora[/name_f], use it. I much prefer [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] and I think that [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] [name_f]Louise[/name_f] is fabulous!!

I think [name_f]Cora[/name_f] sounds soft, gentle and feminine. Such a lovely name!

[name_f]Cora[/name_f] is such a beautiful name! The only reason it’s not on my list is because [name_f]Nora[/name_f] is probably my all time favorite, and obviously I couldn’t use both, but I still think [name_f]Cora[/name_f] is stunning. I would love to meet a little baby named [name_f]Cora[/name_f]. I think it ages remarkably well. [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] is lovely, but I agree that [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Lily[/name_f] feels more light and playful. Either way, you can’t really go wrong.

[name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] is a lovely, beautiful name! I would enjoy meeting a [name_f]Cora[/name_f]. It’s plenty feminine… also pretty, understated, yet strong. In my opinion, the fact that both you and your husband are in agreement is a confirming sign that you have picked the right name. I wouldn’t worry too much about people’s reactions. Few names will get a standing ovation from a majority of people, given the wide variety of taste in names out there. Plus, some of the mediocre reaction might be due to the unexpectedness of the name in combination with it not being a trendy or extravagent name.

[name_f]Cora[/name_f] is beautiful but don’t be afraid to keep searching for something you love more. We changed our name several times! A new name every week! Once our girl was born we didn’t even choose a name in our top 3 --and I am so, so happy we chose the name we did.

[name_f]Cora[/name_f] has a lot of literary cred as she’s the heroine of The Last of the Mohicans. And if I remember correctly, [name_f]Kore[/name_f] is pronounced like [name_f]Cora[/name_f] & in ancient Greece was the word for a maiden.

I don’t know if your husband would go for anything similar to [name_f]Cora[/name_f]: [name_f]Coraline[/name_f], [name_f]Corinne[/name_f], [name_f]Corinna[/name_f], [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]?