Worst baby name trends?

What are, in your opinions, the worst baby name trends? Mine are: masculine names on girls and kre8tyvizing names.

2 Likes

This is a tough one. I adore masculine names on girls. But I hate names ending in -iegh ([name_f]Ashleigh[/name_f] & [name_f]Ryleigh[/name_f]).

I work in L&D so I see a ton of baby names… I don’t know why my other pet-peeves aren’t coming to mind right now… But another thing I often wonder is when they chose a name that is associated with something bad. I just kinda wonder if they know or if they missed it and if I should tell them… [name_f]Lolita[/name_f], [name_f]Katrina[/name_f], [name_f]Narcissa[/name_f]… I don’t know why I can only think of girl names for this…

2 Likes

Yeah, masculine names for girls. As I said on another thread, I can’t see a difference between naming your daughter [name_u]Everett[/name_u] and naming her [name_m]Arthur[/name_m].

7 Likes

Ditto on masculine names for girls and misspelled names

4 Likes

Mine is definitely the creative thing! I don’t think it’s a problem if the name is from a different culture and is spelled that way in that culture as that is celebrating heritage. What I really struggle to understand is why people take a name, change loads of the letters up, say it is so their child has a ‘unique’ name, and then pronounce it the same way as the original spelling. That isn’t a unique name, that is just sentencing your child to a lifetime of saying ‘[name_f]My[/name_f] name is X and you spell it like this…’.

8 Likes

A little humor… :laughing: I love several of these names, but I still get a kick out of this video

13 Likes

Some of the masculine names for girls work very well for me ([name_u]Emery[/name_u], [name_u]Rory[/name_u], [name_u]Dylan[/name_u]). Others, I just don’t get ([name_u]Elliott[/name_u], [name_u]Blake[/name_u], [name_u]James[/name_u]).

LOL that’s hilarious xD

1 Like

I dislike the -leigh endings as well but I like [name_f]Ashleigh[/name_f].

1 Like

The -leigh ending trend was my first thought! I also dislike the boy names for girls. ([name_u]Elliot[/name_u] and [name_u]Cameron[/name_u]! Whyyy?!)

1 Like

Using a long form just to get a nickname.

Why name your daughter [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] if you really only want [name_f]Libby[/name_f]? Shouldn’t you just name her [name_f]Libby[/name_f] or another name that you actually like to get to [name_f]Libby[/name_f]?

9 Likes

I really hate creative spellings. I once met a girl named [name_u]Levi[/name_u] but her parents spelled it Leighveye.

I also tend to shy away from really popular names. I think I know about 700 [name_u]Jackson[/name_u]’s 12 -newborn (all spelled differently)

I also don’t like really BIG names on babies. Not necessarily virtue names but names that are hard shoes to fill . We met a preemie in the NICU named Exodeous [name_m]Saint[/name_m] and I thought that was a lot!

I do like unisex names and long names with nicknames. I would not bat an eye at a [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] nn [name_u]Stevie[/name_u] or [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] nn [name_f]Elli[/name_f].

5 Likes

Misspelled or creative spellings are a pet peeve of mine too. Alivia, Ashleigh, Aerynn, ugh. Another pet peeve of mine is dog names on humans and vice versa.

For example, humans named Max, Charlie, Toby, Duke, Ruby, Rufus etc. Also dogs named Emma, Katherine, Heather, Jason etc.

Exceptions for certain old timey names on dogs, like a terrier named Cornelius or dog names like Mr. Morris and Sgt Bartholomew, if that makes sense. To play devil’s advocate with myself though, I do know a dog named Kevin and it just suits him perfectly haha. The dog IS a Kevin. Anyway, maybe someone can relate.

In case I haven’t made enough enemies yet though, I also hate the name River which has kind of become a trend of it’s own, at least where I live. Sorry, not sorry. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

Those names were all human names before they were given to dogs and became popular as such, so I disagree actually!

Max, [name_u]Toby[/name_u], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] etc are all decent and respectable ‘human’ names.

8 Likes

emphasis on “were”. [name_f]My[/name_f] pet peeve is people using popular dog names today on babies today, and vice versa.

You don’t have to agree with my pet peeve for it to exist! Try to be constructive in a thread of peoples dislikes instead of arguing when you simply don’t feel the same way.

If you look through any of my posts, I think you would see I am very positive and kind in every response I post. These are names that belong to real people and I would never want to hurt anyone’s feelings in a post on this site.

You’re entitled to your opinion, sorry if I hurt yours.

All the best

3 Likes

I cannot stand the traditionally masculine names for girls trend. Unisex names are one thing, but [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]Everett[/name_u], [name_u]Blake[/name_u], [name_u]Wyatt[/name_u], [name_u]Hunter[/name_u], [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u], [name_u]Mason[/name_u], [name_u]Jude[/name_u], [name_u]Ezra[/name_u], [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], etc. are just a huge NO from me. I’m sorry.

I also really dislike the trend of pulling a cool-sounding word from the dictionary and calling it a name. NB’s database really encourages this one for some reason, but, I’m sorry, democracy and illumination, horizon and season are not names: they are nouns.

And, finally, one of my biggest pet peeves is using a name specifically to get to a more cutesy or unique nickname that is not remotely related to it.

No offense meant toward anyone. [name_m]Just[/name_m] my opinions. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I wouldn’t spend time going through your posts and I wasn’t insinuating that you are always anything. I was commenting solely on your response to my post in this topic.

I appreciate the apology though, thanks. My opinion has not been ‘hurt’.

1 Like

I hate masculine names on girls, but even worse is when people take a name from a culture they have no ties to and use it on the wrong gender. The best examples I have right now are [name_u]Dylan[/name_u], [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] and [name_u]Bryn[/name_u] (and even [name_f]Brynn[/name_f]) being used on girls, but there’s obviously loads more. Also when people take a name from another language and pronounce it wrong because the original one is too difficult for them - again, [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] is a good example, as is [name_m]Llewelyn[/name_m].

6 Likes

I love masculine names on girls. I don’t think I’ve encountered one that I didn’t like. :speak_no_evil:

I agree with the unnecessary -eigh and -lee endings and “creative” spellings though! Not so much now but I really didn’t like the trend of combined first names ([name_f]Mary[/name_f]-beth, [name_f]Lily[/name_f]-may Sammy-Jo, etc)

I know a lot of people like this, so apologies if you feel strongly about this but personally I don’t like honor names - particularly the convention of using the father’s name as the son’s middle name. I think that it takes away from the child’s individuality and for me it would feel a little bit pretentious.

Aside from that I’m pretty much okay with most name trends :blush:

2 Likes