Worst baby name trends?

This is a bit risky, but I absolutely detest names that were never meant to be names. For example, surnames such as [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u], [name_u]Logan[/name_u], [name_u]Hunter[/name_u], [name_u]Mason[/name_u], [name_u]Mckenzie[/name_u], [name_u]Lindsay[/name_u], [name_u]Jackson[/name_u], [name_m]Mitchell[/name_m], [name_u]Austin[/name_u], [name_u]Bailey[/name_u], and most place names like [name_u]Payton[/name_u], [name_u]Devon[/name_u], [name_u]Chelsea[/name_u], [name_u]London[/name_u], [name_m]Warwick[/name_m] ([name_f]India[/name_f] is probably the only exception here). In addition names that are words and/or nature inspired, like [name_u]Sage[/name_u], [name_u]Lark[/name_u], [name_f]Luna[/name_f], [name_u]Briar[/name_u], [name_f]Trinity[/name_f], [name_u]Reign[/name_u], [name_m]Bear[/name_m], [name_m]Tiger[/name_m], [name_m]Cash[/name_m], [name_f]Faith[/name_f], [name_u]Nova[/name_u] et.c.

Honestly, I just think it sounds silly and plain odd. Thankfully it’s not as big an epidemic here in the UK.

6 Likes

I personally don’t really like names ending in -leigh, surnames as firsts names and word names, except plant names.
These are just names I usually wouldn’t choose myself but I mean no offense to other people who do like those names or who have such a name. :blush:

3 Likes

I don’t like traditionally masculine names for girls- [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]Everett[/name_u], [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u], [name_u]Mason[/name_u]…
I also don’t like Br names. Or names that end in leigh and eigh and lee.
I also don’t like names that end in belle or bella. Sometimes I like it, but not most of the time.

Most trends are fine… but not the ones I mentioned. At least to me.

2 Likes

Masculine names on girls and “creative” spellings.

3 Likes

I totally agree with this one. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents named my sister [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and my mom really wanted her to be called [name_f]Beth[/name_f]. Of course she has never been [name_f]Beth[/name_f] and always [name_f]Lizzy[/name_f] or [name_f]Liz[/name_f]. Ha. They should have gone with [name_f]Beth[/name_f]. That being said, my brother wanted to name his daughter [name_f]Charlee[/name_f], in honor of our dad ([name_m]Charles[/name_m]) and my dad hated it, so they named her [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] instead, which I much prefer, and I’m glad she has as an option when she’s older, because I’m not really a fan of [name_f]Charlee[/name_f]. They use [name_f]Charlee[/name_f] as her nn.

2 Likes

I know a lot of people on this site love old man names, but I really dislike them personally. Like, [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] and [name_m]Richard[/name_m] and [name_m]Robert[/name_m] are all my grandparents and I kind of cringe when I see them. [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] and [name_m]Barnabas[/name_m] might be my least favorite names in existence. I totally respect anyone who loves them though!

7 Likes

old fashioned grandma names making a comeback like [name_f]Harriet[/name_f], [name_f]Winifred[/name_f], [name_f]Millicent[/name_f], etc. some are sweet but a lot of them just dated and unpleasant

5 Likes

and as for masculine names on girls, I find some to be awful like [name_u]Logan[/name_u], [name_u]Dylan[/name_u], [name_u]Hunter[/name_u], etc. but some like [name_u]Jude[/name_u] and [name_u]Blake[/name_u] I enjoy. They’re a big mixed bag imo

5 Likes

The crazy spellings I think are frustrating. I think of a school teacher, doctor’s office, or job interview & they’re trying to figure it out.

I don’t care for girl names for boys. I know a couple of men that have “girl” names & they hate it.

That said… I do love unique & unusual names! I love surnames as fn. If you really love a name then you should use it, no matter what anyone else’s opinion is. We all have different likes and different styles, and that’s what makes us all so great. The world would be really boring if everyone was the same.

4 Likes

Made up names, made up spellings on real names and anything along the lines of
[name_f]Kinsley[/name_f], paisley, McKinley, braelyn, kaelyn etc

6 Likes

i dont have a problem with masculine names on girls, and same for feminine names on boys. But, the wierd-spelled names have a no from me. [name_f]Kayleigh[/name_f], [name_f]Ryleigh[/name_f], [name_f]Ashleigh[/name_f], [name_f]Kathryn[/name_f], Paxtyn, [name_u]Ashtyn[/name_u], [name_u]Reilly[/name_u], ysabelle (yes I’ve seen this one), [name_u]Jordyn[/name_u], [name_u]Allex[/name_u], [name_f]Alexx[/name_f], Lydya, [name_f]Lidia[/name_f], [name_f]Kamrin[/name_f], [name_u]Landyn[/name_u] etc. Why ruin so beautiful names, [name_f]Kylie[/name_f], [name_u]Riley[/name_u], [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] etc, just because you want a unique name?

7 Likes

Smooshing names together to form a NEW name. I love combining two names when the result is an established name (i.e. [name_m]Robert[/name_m] + [name_u]Christian[/name_u] = [name_f]Orestina[/name_f] --> I used [name_u]Christian[/name_u] or [name_f]Christina[/name_f] in place of [name_m]Christopher[/name_m]), but not combining two names with a random result (i.e. [name_f]Barbara[/name_f] + [name_f]Pamela[/name_f] = Barmela).

3 Likes

I love that guy he’s hilarious!

2 Likes

I haaaate all the -belle or -bella names! Also, -lee names. -leigh names make me want to pronounce it -lay, which is annoying. I really don’t like Mc- names or names with [name_u]Kin[/name_u]/Ken in them ([name_f]Kinsley[/name_f], [name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u], etc.).

6 Likes

Eek! [name_f]My[/name_f] dream is to work in labor and delivery! That’s so cool you do that!

As for baby name trends, I don’t like coming up with a name. You don’t get to have a name meaning or name origin. I don’t know, I just think those are really fun parts of names you know?

1 Like

My biggest naming peeves would probably be:

• Nicknames as first names… I think it’s a bit “mean” to label your child something cutesy forever, because they won’t be a child forever. At least give them a solid legal name that allows them the chance to sound like an adult when they need to.

• Crazy spellings for zero reason… more Xs and Ys do not a great name make!

• Naming a child something because of tradition, despite hating the name and never using it… true story: all firstborn males in a family I know are named James. There are many generations of this family still alive and none of them go by James. Hardly anyone knows that they are actually James. So what’s the point?!

• All the trendy -lynn named for girls.

• Made-up names from books and shows that have no meaning or relevance outside of that book or show… What if the child doesn’t like that book / show or more specifically the character? And seriously, who wants to go through life called Anakin or some other ridiculousness?!

7 Likes

I strongly agree with this! There are so many cool names from fantasy/sci-fi, but I do hesitate to consider them irl. Most of them are gps for me, though I do think they can work sometimes as middles.

The one exception, in my mind, is if the name feels similar enough to real names. There is a world of difference between naming your daughter [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] and naming her [name_f]Daenerys[/name_f], imo. ([name_f]Arwen[/name_f] at least sounds like a lot of Welsh or Cornish names.) That’s what I think, anyway.

3 Likes

I agree with you. Names based on real names / roots / languages, I am totally fine with. [name_f]Arwen[/name_f], to me, is usable because it is very similar to a Welsh name - I used to have a little girl in my class with the Welsh version, but it was said the same as [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] (I suppose I see it as a spelling variation more than a “made up” name). Being named [name_u]Harry[/name_u], after [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], I can mostly accept because it’s a real name that won’t lead to weird looks through this life! The fact that people call their children [name_f]Daenerys[/name_f] complete floors me!!

2 Likes

Masculine names on girls. I don’t understand the trend and like @lucyxo, also find it even more bothersome when it’s taken from another culture and used on a girl. As someone who is Irish (but moved to [name_f]England[/name_f] from a young age) [name_u]Finley[/name_u], [name_u]Finn[/name_u] and [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] come to mind as well as agreeing with [name_u]Bryn[/name_u] and [name_u]Rhys[/name_u] which I see a lot of. I also don’t like that once a name is used enough on girls, it’s then considered too feminine to use on boys.

Smoosh names, made up names and creative misspellings too.

Another that I don’t feel so strongly against is nicknames as first names. I understand the other side of the argument too, to be fair but I like a longer name with more options.

2 Likes

Isn’t [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] pronounced [name_f]Jemma[/name_f]? lol.