Would either of these names encroach on a first cousin's name??

Our baby will be here in less than a month. We are team green but I’m determined to be completely prepared with a namefor either sex. Siblings are [name_m]Jaydon[/name_m] [name_m]Kenneth[/name_m] (M 15) and [name_f]Selah[/name_f] [name_u]Monroe[/name_u] (F 2.5)

There are two names, very similar but different meanings which have risen to the top of our list.

[name_m]Adler[/name_m] - some sites say Teutonic in origin (my high school mascot was a Teuton so I kind of love this connection) others say [name_m]German[/name_m] origin meaning [name_u]Eagle[/name_u]. My family is mainly of [name_m]German[/name_m] background. I like the short ‘a’ beginning vowel sound.

Alder - like the wood, has some biblical context my husband gravitates to. The ‘Ahl’ beginning is what makes me hesitate, feels like it gets swallowed a bit and also sounds like [name_m]Elder[/name_m] or old…which isn’t far from its meaning.

I prefer [name_m]Adler[/name_m]. Husband prefers Alder.

Enter first cousin, husband’s brother’s son, who will be 5 in [name_u]June[/name_u]. His name is [name_m]Asher[/name_m]. [name_u]Love[/name_u] his name. Not trying to copy it at all. Does not live in the same state.

So two questions:

1. Is [name_m]Adler[/name_m] or Alder encroaching on [name_m]Asher[/name_m]?
  2. Preference on [name_m]Adler[/name_m] vs Alder.
    3*. If you’re up for it, middle names that go well with your preferred option.

Appreciate the candid feedback!!:slight_smile:

1. My first immediate thought was no. I don’t think either ones are encroaching on the cousin’s name. There are some similarities, yes, like the A beginning and ‘er’ ending, but it really doesn’t look bad to me. Where [name_m]Asher[/name_m] probably has [name_u]Ash[/name_u] for nn, [name_m]Adler[/name_m] might have [name_f]Addie[/name_f] and Alder might have… I can’t think of a nn for that one, lol. I took a closer look at [name_m]Asher[/name_m] and saw it has Biblical connection. Alder might be too similar to [name_m]Asher[/name_m] for that connection alone. [name_m]Adler[/name_m] has the closest name sounding to [name_m]Asher[/name_m]. You can go circles in this! Let’s suffice it to say that I really don’t think it’s ‘encroaching’. It’s just different enough and both names have their own meanings very different from [name_m]Asher[/name_m].

2. Honestly, I like both. Alder doesn’t sound like a swallowed name to me? Since one of my stepsons has a close friend named [name_u]Alden[/name_u], though, I would drop it from my own list of names. My personal preference is [name_m]Adler[/name_m]; bonus points for sharing a name with a drummer.

3. Here are some:
    [name_m]Adler[/name_m] [name_m]Godric[/name_m]
    [name_m]Adler[/name_m] [name_u]Beau[/name_u]
    [name_m]Adler[/name_m] [name_m]Ludwig[/name_m]
    [name_m]Adler[/name_m] [name_m]Solon[/name_m]
    [name_m]Adler[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m]
    [name_m]Adler[/name_m] [name_u]Glenn[/name_u]
    [name_m]Adler[/name_m] [name_m]Sylvanus[/name_m]
    [name_m]Adler[/name_m] [name_u]Francis[/name_u]

I like both names but I am going to choose [name_m]Adler[/name_m] as my favourite because of the [name_m]German[/name_m] connection in your family history. No, they aren’t too close to [name_m]Asher[/name_m] as they are very different names even if they share some of the same sounds. If the two boys were together a lot and playing, it may seem like a tongue twister calling them both for lunch but that isn’t a big deal, and especially as [name_m]Asher[/name_m] lives in another state. Middle name suggestions…

[name_m]Gable[/name_m]
[name_m]Merrick[/name_m]
[name_m]Breck[/name_m] or [name_m]Burke[/name_m]
[name_m]Slade[/name_m]
[name_u]Blake[/name_u]
[name_u]Easton[/name_u]
[name_u]Sutton[/name_u]
[name_m]Soren[/name_m]

1. I dont see a problem there at all!

2. I prefer [name_m]Adler[/name_m] but I really like both. [name_m]Adler[/name_m] sounds very cool and I agree with you that Alder is a bit harder to say because of the “Ahl” sound.

3. Some middle name ideas:
    [name_m]Adler[/name_m] [name_m]Cove[/name_m]
    [name_m]Adler[/name_m] [name_m]Rhodes[/name_m]
    [name_m]Adler[/name_m] [name_u]Chase[/name_u]
    [name_m]Adler[/name_m] [name_u]Reid[/name_u]
    [name_m]Adler[/name_m] [name_m]Ridge[/name_m]

• I think they would sound good for Alder too.

Good luck :slight_smile:

I prefer Alder. It’s much more familiar to me, and I actually find [name_m]Adler[/name_m] quite difficult to say.

I don’t think either are too close to [name_m]Asher[/name_m] at all.

I wouldn’t worry about either being too close to [name_m]Asher[/name_m]. They have similar sounds and look similar on paper, but they have different vibes to me.
I like both names but I think I slightly prefer [name_m]Adler[/name_m]. Good luck.

It’s not too close to [name_m]Asher[/name_m] at all.

I like [name_m]Adler[/name_m] better. Happens to be that in my circles it’s a very common surname.

I prefer [name_m]Adler[/name_m] over Alder, but I don’t think either one is too close to [name_m]Asher[/name_m]. Especially living in different states, it’s not like they will be used together daily, so I think it would be fine.

No problem with [name_m]Asher[/name_m].

I prefer [name_m]Adler[/name_m]. It does in fact mean eagle in [name_m]German[/name_m], which connects to your heritage. Maybe you can sway hubby by reminding him of the Bible verse, They that wait upon the [name_m]Lord[/name_m] will mount up on wings like eagles.

A little something for everyone in one short name.

Excellent advice! Thanks!!

Alder and [name_m]Adler[/name_m] have no connection to [name_m]Asher[/name_m], except that I like both of them far better.
[name_m]Adler[/name_m] sounds Germanic, Alder sounds naturey. I like them both equally.
Someone on nameberry named her son [name_m]Adler[/name_m] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] I think. I love that sound or something like it.
Alder [name_m]Burke[/name_m] maybe.

[name_m]Adler[/name_m] [name_m]Crow[/name_m]
[name_m]Adler[/name_m] [name_u]Carson[/name_u]
[name_m]Adler[/name_m] [name_m]Bowen[/name_m]
[name_m]Adler[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_m]Adler[/name_m] [name_u]Paxton[/name_u]

Alder [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
Alder [name_m]Zane[/name_m]
Alder [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
Alder [name_m]Leonidas[/name_m]
Alder [name_m]Graham[/name_m]

I prefer [name_m]Adler[/name_m] because of the potential [name_f]Addy[/name_f] nickname, which is a great unisex nickname. I love it for both! Alder is a street I used to live on, so I do like it, but I just think of my street, not a little boy. I’ve met some boys with the name [name_u]Calder[/name_u] before, too.

Our baby boy arrived on [name_f]May[/name_f] 25th…we went with [name_m]Adler[/name_m] [name_m]Ramsey[/name_m]. Thank you everyone for weighing in and providing a plethora of middle name options as well.

We ” [name_m]Adler[/name_m]! The name suits him well.

1. Is [name_m]Adler[/name_m] or Alder encroaching on [name_m]Asher[/name_m]?

No I don’t think it is too close at all! (either one)

1. Preference on [name_m]Adler[/name_m] vs Alder.

I prefer Alder. I like the meaning of [name_m]Adler[/name_m] but to me I hear Adder (Like a snake) and it seems like it takes more effort to say. We will probably name our next child [name_u]Alden[/name_u] if its a boy, that seems to be almost a compromise between the two that could work?

3*. If you’re up for it, middle names that go well with your preferred option.
Alder [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] (our top choice is [name_u]Alden[/name_u] [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] but they both sound great!)
Alder [name_m]William[/name_m]
Alder [name_m]Matteo[/name_m]
Alder [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
Alder [name_m]Willem[/name_m]

I prefer Alder. I feel like it’s a stronger name than [name_m]Adler[/name_m]. Something that he could grow into.