Would it be cruel to name a son Darcy Thomas?

[name]Bear[/name] in mind I live in [name]England[/name], so I’m not sure if it’s considered as much of a ‘girl’ name as it is in other places.
Opinions?

I think [name]Darcy[/name] is a perfectly acceptable boy name! I don’t think it’d be cruel at all.

I’ve always loved [name]Darcy[/name] on a little boy. And I think it goes along well with the up and coming trend of softer sound boys names like [name]Asher[/name], [name]Percy[/name], [name]Jasper[/name] etc.

I think [name]Darcy[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] is a lovely name. I would love to meet a little boy [name]Darcy[/name]!

I live in [name]Canada[/name] and its not a name I even hear very often anymore (on either sex). I think male [name]Darcy[/name] would do just fine.

I’m English, and I really like [name]Darcy[/name] for a boy.

[name]Just[/name] be aware that, in 2011, 520 girls in [name]England[/name] & [name]Wales[/name] were called [name]Darcy[/name] versus 34 boys. Also the name was ranked just outside the top 100 names for girls in 2011 (#110), and appears to be rising (ranked #168 for girls in 2006, and #229 in 2001). Therefore, even in [name]England[/name], it’s likely that people who just hear the name without meeting your son will assume you have a daughter. But they can always stand corrected!

I think you could get away with it but I would assume a modern [name]Darcy[/name] to be a girl.

I think it’s adorable. It’s a guilty pleasure name of mine. :slight_smile: It’s predominantly female where I live, which sucks, because I think it’s a wonderful name for a boy.

For me, it is really a girl’s name. You don’t hear it very often, though, so I guess it would be fine on a boy.

wow I had no idea [name]Darcy[/name] was being used as a girl’s name. I couldn’t figure out what the problem with the name was at all!

Why would it be cruel?!

This was what my initial thought was as well.

[name]How[/name] on earth is [name]Darcy[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] cruel? Because [name]Darcy[/name] is considered a unisex name? To me, it’s all boy. I think [name]Darcy[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] is a lovely name.

I’ve only heard [name]Darcy[/name] on girls, even though I know it’s unisex and I live in the states, for reference :slight_smile:

Where I live, I would consider it cruel. I have never heard it as a boy name. That being said I really don’t like unisex names on boys. I am always worried for the boy who doesn’t have a more masculine personality and ends up being teases.

That coupled w the fact ur wondering urself if it’s cruel makes me think it’s not the best choice.

Seriously… Its a girls name… I wouldn’t use it for a boy

It’s a surname, I don’t even like it on [name]Darcey[/name] Bussell.

I think [name]Darcy[/name]'s rather dashing. To my British ears it sounds wrong on a girl. In the area I live I’ve met a few little [name]Darcy[/name]'s, and they were all boys. I think using it for a girl is chavvy.

I’m not sure about across the pond, but I think that here (in the US) it’s popular use as a girls name is pretty much over. It was used more in the days of the [name]Donna[/name]'s, [name]Marcia[/name]'s, and [name]Sharon[/name]'s so as a girl name it has become extremely dated. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Especially with the classically handsome mn [name]Thomas[/name], your little Mr. [name]Darcy[/name] would be wonderfully named! =]

Seriously… it’s not… it’s unisex.