Would it be terrible?

To have two kids with A names? This might sound silly, but being a name nerd I know it is a common concern. [name]Ive[/name] recently fallen in love with the name [name]Amelie[/name]. It has everything I want, feminine, uncommon but recognizable, [name]German[/name], and a nice flow with my bfs surname. I love it so much I dont even want to mention it to my boyfriend until we have children out of fear that he will reject it! Although, it doesn seem like it would be his style so I’m not too concerned. Only problem is our son, if we ever have one, will be named [name]Andreas[/name]. Now we really only plan on having two kids and if the first is a girl should I forget [name]Amelie[/name] just in case we have a boy? Or should I just use the names I love and not worry about their initials (their mns would not start with the same letter though)?

So I guess my question is: [name]How[/name] do [name]Andreas[/name] and [name]Amelie[/name] sound as siblings? They are prn An-DRAY-es and [name]AH[/name]-meh-lee.

[name]Ive[/name] gone through every girls name in the book and nothing feels quite right to me when paired with [name]Andreas[/name]. The only others I think we love enough to use are [name]Isabel[/name] (popular, but falling!), [name]Cecily[/name] (I think its kinda hard to say? And speach impediments are common in my fam) and [name]Eva[/name] (popular and rising). My bf also like [name]Genevieve[/name], but it just doesnt excite me.

This.

I’m sure you know that many people choose to give all their kids same-letter names. Yes, it gets annoying with 19+ kids (AHEM duggars…), and can lead to dumb choices as parents struggle to find yet ANOTHER “J” name :roll: BUT - you only plan on having two. That’s a totally different deal, in my opinion.

Besides, you just happen to love two “A” names, which is different from naming the first kid [name]Andreas[/name] then finding an “A” name for the next one so that you can keep your streak.

So I guess my question is: How do Andreas and Amelie sound as siblings? They are prn An-DRAY-es and AH-meh-lee.

I think they fit quite well. [name]Both[/name] have a slightly exotic flair, but are familiar, accessible and easy to pronounce.

Ive gone through every girls name in the book and nothing feels quite right to me when paired with Andreas. The only others I think we love enough to use are Isabel (popular, but falling!), Cecily (I think its kinda hard to say? And speach impediments are common in my fam) and Eva (popular and rising). My bf also like Genevieve, but it just doesnt excite me.

Keep [name]Amelie[/name] on your list. Peoples’ tastes change, so who knows, maybe you’ll grow to love something even more later on. There’s no reason to rule it out, imo, so just keep it on that good ol’ back burner :wink:

[name]Andreas[/name] and [name]Amelie[/name] sound like a perfect sibling fit – they’re both European, quirky, but recognizable. I wouldn’t worry about them both being A names. With two kids, patterns like that are less obnoxious. (Besides, you can always remind the kids A stands for Awesome.)

Thanks for the reply! You made me feel better about the two A names. I think [name]Amelie[/name] is just the name [name]Ive[/name] been looking for. I’ve just ignored it all this time because it started with the letter A and now that seems really silly.

I think they sound great as siblings!
This may sound silly, but I think that it is especially alright to have two siblings with the same initial if one is a boy and the other is a girl. That way they are less likely to be mistaken for eachother, especially with post etc, as one would be Miss and the other Mr.
(I have 2 sisters with the same initial and there was often confusion sorting mail!)

I am particularly fond of the name [name]Amelie[/name], I think you should definatly use it!

Can anyone think of any nns for [name]Amelie[/name]? All [name]Ive[/name] come up with is [name]Amy[/name]. Would [name]Millie[/name] work? What about [name]Lilo[/name]? [name]Lilo[/name] is great grandmas nn (full name is [name]Lieselotte[/name]) and I like the idea of passing it on, but I dont like [name]Lieselotte[/name] as a fn.

[name]Lilo[/name] would be an adorable and unexpected nn for [name]Amelie[/name], but only if [name]Lilo[/name] is prn [name]Lee[/name]-low and not [name]Ly[/name]-low.

Yes [name]Lilo[/name] is prn [name]Lee[/name]-low.

I believe [name]Amelie[/name] is the French version of [name]Amelia[/name] and [name]Amalie[/name] is the [name]German[/name] form. Anyway, It doesn’t matter as [name]Andreas[/name] and [name]Amelie[/name] are a great pairing! [name]Don[/name]'t hesitate because of the double “A”'s. Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragment. I’m loving [name]Amelie[/name].
[name]Amelie[/name] is currently ranked #20 in Germany, while the [name]Amalie[/name] verson is rarely used. [name]Both[/name] I think are [name]German[/name] version of [name]Amelia[/name]. [name]Amalia[/name], [name]Emilia[/name], and [name]Amelie[/name] are all very common in Germany. I think the french version has an accent over the first ‘e’.