Would it matter where the names are placed?

I’m FtM and I’m torn between using a name I really like or using a name that’s kind of similar to my given name for an easier transition. Whether I use the name I really like ([name_u]Ryan[/name_u]) as a first or middle (I may have two middles depending on if I want to keep my initials) I still want to be referred to as [name_u]Ryan[/name_u].

I could go either way with a K or C spelling, but I’d prefer a K spelling to keep my given initials the same.
I’m either thinking:

Ryan [name_u]Kameron[/name_u] [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]
[name_u]Kameron[/name_u] [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] (K. [name_u]Ryan[/name_u])
[name_u]Kameron[/name_u] [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] (KJ [name_u]Ryan[/name_u])

I’m also open to other K names, or C names that could also work as K names.

If you want to go by [name_u]Ryan[/name_u], that’s what should be in the first name spot. You’ll probably find it difficult enough to get people to call you a new name anyway, so make it as easy as possible by having your legal first name be the name you use.

4 Likes

If you want to be called [name_u]Ryan[/name_u], put it up front! It makes the most sense to me that way!

3 Likes

I agree that if you want to be called [name_u]Ryan[/name_u], it makes more sense to put that in the first name spot!

1 Like

I’d go with [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] since it’s what you’re going by and it’s the one you love

1 Like

Are there any strong practical reasons for wanting to keep your K initial the same? Any documents or contracts that wouldn’t need to be changed, or is it just a personal preference to keep as much continuity as possible?

I would generally always recommend putting the name you want to use day-to-day up front, but in your case I think it really depends on the circumstances. If changing your initials is going to cause an administrative headache that could be avoided by putting your “known as” name in the middle slot, it could well be worth considering.

Otherwise, the order that will probably cause least hassle day-to-day would be to use [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] as the first name.

Best of luck! :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Personally, my instinct would be to put [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] as your first name. I think it’s a lot easier if the name you go by is your first name (or a nickname of your first name) rather than your middle.
I’m terms of [name_u]Kameron[/name_u], the spelling with a K seems much more feminine to me. Not sure if that would bother you, but it may be worth considering.
I get how [name_u]Kameron[/name_u] could be an easier transition if it is more similar to your current legal name, but that ease is lost if you want people to call you [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] anyway.

1 Like

The thing is that I’m in a small town (less than 1,000) that I don’t want to be out to, so I’d prefer to be referred to as KJ, at least here. Though, I do plan on moving (hopefully soon), so that may be a non-issue.

I suppose you could continue to be known as KJ as a nickname, no matter what the order of your names is officially.

1 Like