Would Josie get shortened to Jo?

Hey everyone!

I love the nickname [name_u]Josie[/name_u].
But as it has a [name_u]Jo[/name_u] prefix and people in my area are absolutely obsessed with shortening names, would [name_u]Josie[/name_u] inevitably get shortened to [name_u]Jo[/name_u]?

Also, people don’t listen when you say to keep the name whole, so I’m currently compiling a list of names that people will not shorten.

Thank you!

i think so, unfortunately! especially if you live somewhere where names are shortened all the time and people don’t listen when you ask them not to.

Yeah, I was worried about that.
I’ve noticed a lot of people that go by an -ie shortened version of their name or an -ie ending name get shortened to the first syllable a lot (e.g. [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] → [name_f]Soph[/name_f], [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] → [name_u]Jess[/name_u], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] → [name_f]Elle[/name_f], [name_f]Sally[/name_f] → Sal) so it probably means that [name_u]Josie[/name_u] would become [name_u]Jo[/name_u].
Any names that you don’t think would get shortened?
(Either 2 or 1 syllable - some 2 syllable names don’t get shortened like [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and 1 syllable ones like [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Kate[/name_f] don’t get shortened either)

hmm, maybe:

bea
cecily
thea
elle
esther
fern
flora
june
may / mae
luna
margot
nell
ruth (could be called ruthie though)
willa

some of these could be shortened but i generally wouldn’t expect them to be

1 Like

thank you!
cecily would become cece unfortunately, and esther sometimes ess, and willa would almost guaranteed become will :pensive:
It’s a shame how disrespectful most people can be regarding names

The name shortening thing frustrates me as well but I’m afraid it would prevail. Your chance would be to get ahead of it and call her something like “Jose” (Joez) if you want to try and stave off the “Jo” sters.

Here’s a few list of shorter names/names that are hard to shorten:

Begins with “J” like [name_u]Josie[/name_u]

Jewl
[name_f]Jayne[/name_f]
[name_m]Just[/name_m]
[name_f]Jia[/name_f]
[name_u]Jacie[/name_u]
[name_u]Jade[/name_u]
[name_f]Jaida[/name_f]
[name_f]Jailee[/name_f] (hopefully they wouldn’t shorten it to Jail :see_no_evil: )
[name_u]Jamie[/name_u]

[name_f]Non[/name_f] J but still in the same vein IMO

[name_f]Ailee[/name_f]
[name_u]Bailey[/name_u]
Anna/Annie
[name_u]Sloan[/name_u]
[name_u]Fern[/name_u]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_u]Kasey[/name_u]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

1 Like

The [name_u]Josie[/name_u] I know gets 90% [name_u]Josie[/name_u] and then 10% [name_m]Jose[/name_m] but it never sticks. It seems like a name you could more easily police back to [name_u]Josie[/name_u] because it’s already in nickname form - so itch already being scratched!

1 Like

i completely forgot about cece being a nn for cecily! annoying :grimacing: i wouldn’t expect ess from esther - i used to know an esther and she was never called any nickname! it’s possible though, ofc. you’re right about willa, which is unfortunate because willa is so much nicer than will!

1 Like

I do think it would… but not all the time! Nicknames so often just depend on who meats someone with X name. I know that if I knew a [name_u]Josie[/name_u], I’d call her [name_u]Jo[/name_u] …I’m such a nicknamer.

1 Like

Nooo :cold_sweat:
I am curious however to see nicknames from the other end of the spectrum - personally, I’m a person that hates a lot of nicknames and would only ever call someone a nickname that they introduced themselves as. (E.g. if an [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] introduced themselves as [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] I would only ever call them that, but if they introduced themselves as [name_f]Liz[/name_f] I would call them such)
Also, for me personally, it feels intrusive and inconsiderate to call someone a nickname they didn’t specify, so I do wonder the thought process of nicknamers when shortening someones name.
Sorry if this is an odd question, but I’m just curious to see from the other pov :grinning:

willa is lovely! i don’t like will. don’t mind billie, though!
thank you for your suggestions

thank you! hopefully. although the people i know in my area are obsessed with name shortening (even my own when i tell them not to), so i’m still a little worried.
josie itself is so lovely, i wish it couldn’t become jo

i like these! thank you!
jailee could become jail though which is :cold_sweat:
i like jayne / jane, jacie (havent heard this one before much), jade and jamie and annie, fern, ella and casey :grinning:

It depends on my relationship to the person. If someone introduced herself to me as [name_f]Anna[/name_f], I wouldn’t call her [name_f]Ann[/name_f] or [name_f]Annie[/name_f] unless we were good friends, family, or close in some way! :smiling_face: I nickname the kids I nanny, but I don’t nickname classmates I have for one semester. It’s all subjective!

I’ve known one [name_u]Josie[/name_u], who was almost universally called [name_u]Jojo[/name_u].

The U.K. is very nickname-happy, and I love them, but I only nickname people who have used/suggested the nickname themselves or when I’ve overheard someone else use it and not be corrected. Similarly there are some spaces in my life where I’ve chosen not to offer the shortening of my full first name and nobody has abbreviated it without my permission yet!

It’s possible that people would, especially if they are prone to nickname where you are. She might even be a [name_u]Josie[/name_u] ‘Jo’ :person_shrugging: Still, since [name_u]Josie[/name_u] is already nicknamey, people might not be so inclined? Maybe that’s hopeful thinking, but it might work.

I know quite a few Josies, and none of them have been shortened to [name_u]Jo[/name_u]!

The only thing I’ve seen is sometimes little kids can get “JoJo”, but I think [name_u]Josie[/name_u] is already short and sweet enough!!

@lilyofthevale First, I LOVE the name [name_u]Josie[/name_u]! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::face_holding_back_tears: I’ve only ever met one [name_u]Josie[/name_u]. That is her full name, it’s not intended to be a nickname. While I didn’t know her well, I know she would correct anyone who referred to her as anything other than [name_u]Josie[/name_u]. I do think it’s possible that she might get [name_u]Jojo[/name_u] or [name_u]Jo[/name_u] at times, but I agree with previous posters that it’s easy to correct since [name_u]Josie[/name_u] is already used so commonly as a nickname.

I hope this helps!

:butterfly::white_heart: