Would love your opinions please!

Hello,

I’m expecting our first baby - a girl - in February and my husband and I both love the name [name]Agatha[/name]. I adore the name and its vintage vibe but sometimes in the dead of night I find myself worrying. I worry that others won’t get its vintage loveliness and charm and will instead automatically think “old lady” or worse “what were they thinking?!”

I’d love your opinions of the name and promise I won’t cry if they are bad! :lol:

Edited to add: my husband and I are both English and live in Australia in case that has a bearing on anything!

I love the name [name]Agatha[/name], it’s a lovely choice. :slight_smile:

I’ll be honest. I love the name [name]Agatha[/name] too, but many people will find it fusty and old-fashioned. That shouldn’t put you off though. Many people see [name]Alice[/name] as horribly old-ladyish, but that doesn’t put me off.

I think if you paired it with something that is a little more modern, it might be better.

I love [name]Aggie[/name] as a nickname too.

I love [name]Agatha[/name] – and I absolutely see the vintage charm! In the past year, I have friends that named their babies [name]Esther[/name], [name]Vera[/name] and [name]Edna[/name]…very vintage to me, but cute and charming! I am not sure what it is like in your area, but in mine there are a lot of these types of names being used now that are even more “old lady sounding” than [name]Agatha[/name], so I don’t think [name]Agatha[/name] will stick out. It actually reminds me a lot of the increasingly popular [name]Matilda[/name].

I’m so pleased to hear that someone is considering the name [name]Agatha[/name] for their daughter. It’s one of my favourite names that has so much going for it - saint name, literary connection to mystery writer [name]Agatha[/name] [name]Christie[/name], cute nn of [name]Aggie[/name] and its rare. It would be a wonderfully bold choice and I applaud you for considerating this vintage gem. I would suggest you keep the name to yourselves until the birth certificate is signed because you [name]WILL[/name] receive negative comments. People always come around once they meet the baby for the first time. Go for it!

I know a couple of 4-year-olds named [name]Martha[/name] and [name]Florence[/name]. When they were born, I admit I did look twice at the names because they seemed like old lady names to me. As the girls grew, the names totally grew with them and both names now seem fresh and alive, just like the little girls who bear them. [name]Agatha[/name] will be adorable on a little girl, and it’s a name that will grow to fit her more every year. I think that’s what is so charming and fun about the vintage names people are bringing back. If you love it and feel that that’s her name, go for it!

Oh thank you SO much for your lovely responses! I think you are right about keeping the name to ourselves and also about pairing it with something a bit more modern.

We do absolutely love the name and there are quite a few babies around being given “old fashioned” names where we live and although we don’t know any Agathas, our baby would be in good company at least.

We have another three contenders on the name list but [name]Agatha[/name] is number one for both of us. :slight_smile: Hopefully friends and family (am thinking its family mainly who will be shocked) will come to love the name as they love the little girl who owns it.

I agree that [name]Agatha[/name] is a nice choice, and I like it much better than [name]Agnes[/name]. I also agree that the middle name will be very useful for influencing the brightness and sparkle of the overall name.

I love [name]Agatha[/name] as well, and I think this is a good time to use it. Most of the “old lady” names - a misnomer, really, it’s just names that were popular from years 1900-1940 - are coming back, e.g. [name]Evelyn[/name], [name]Victoria[/name], [name]Ruby[/name]. The ones that are similar in style yet under the radar will blend in while also standing out, [name]IMO[/name]. Yeah, your family may be shocked, but you never know - my mother loves the name [name]Agatha[/name], and she’s a baby boomer.

I love it! [name]Agatha[/name] has a fresh and crisp feeling about it imo.
I know a little girl named [name]Alice[/name] (it has a similar feeling to [name]Agatha[/name]) and she totally names her name young and hip!
I think the nick name [name]Aggie[/name] is so adorable and much nicer than the old ellies, maddies, evies etc.
I also love the connection to [name]Agatha[/name] [name]Christie[/name] so that is a plus.
I wouldn’t tell family though… but then I am planning to call this little bean either [name]Isolde[/name] or [name]Peter[/name] and am not telling family at all!

I love the nn [name]Aggie[/name] too. I like the connection to [name]Agatha[/name] [name]Christie[/name] as well - I’m studying for a PhD in English Literature so the literary link is a personal bonus.

I like that you think [name]Agatha[/name] will fit in while standing out as that’s part of the charm for us. We wanted something outside the top 100 and with a classic but quirky feel. Different but not TOO different!

I may be misjudging my family and they might love [name]Agatha[/name] - I guess we’ll find out in Feb!

It’s so nice to have Nameberry to “talk” to about this, thank you for your input so far, I really do appreciate it.

I know a very chic little Parisian girl named [name]Agatha[/name] and so that makes me see the name as even cooler than I might! Any time you choose a name that’s truly distinctive there will be people who make negative comments but that’s a small price to pay for a wonderful name

I know a very chic little Parisian girl named [name]Agatha[/name] and so that makes me see the name as even cooler than I might! Any time you choose a name that’s truly distinctive there will be people who make negative comments but that’s a small price to pay for a wonderful name

Thank you [name]Pam[/name]! I read your comment out to my husband and he said this bit: “Any time you choose a name that’s truly distinctive there will be people who make negative comments but that’s a small price to pay for a wonderful name” is exactly how he feels about the name [name]Agatha[/name]!

Dare I say it before we meet our little girl? But I think we have a winner!! :slight_smile:

I am in the “Oh my goodness what were they thinking group!”

[name]Agatha[/name] probably wasn’t even popular in its heyday.

Thanks for your input [name]Rollo[/name].

We actively want a name that isn’t popular so it being fairly rare even in it’s heyday is fine by me! :slight_smile:

I totally understand your feelings as my gorgeous granddaughter (9 mths old) has a name that has never ever been in the top 1000 names. Her name is [name]Xanthe[/name], we all love her name and if one chooses an unusual name then as night follows day there are bound to be a crowd of people who do not support one’s choice but heck, if you love a name then use it, as long as it is a legit name and not some tryndy nonsense.

all the best and thanks for not being upset with my earlier comment.

rollo