Would these names make a good sib set?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] berries.

We’re just TTC our first right now and already have set names for a boy and girl, but I love thinking of names for down the road (we tentatively plan on 4-5 kids, though that could change). I’m curious as to whether you all think these names go together well or not. I’m okay with the names not perfectly matching, but I do want to know if there are any sore thumbs that stick out.

Boys: (all have animal meanings, and are in the order we would probably use them)
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_u]Everett[/name_u]
[name_m]Leo[/name_m]
[name_m]Caleb[/name_m]
[name_m]Philip[/name_m]

Girls: ([name_f]Mary[/name_f] will be used first, but the order of the rest is up in the air)
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]Celia[/name_f] or [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gemma[/name_f]
[name_f]Esther[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] or [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Hope[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]

As a side note, what are your opinions on [name_f]Celia[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]? I like [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] but was wanting to avoid [name_f]Cece[/name_f] as a nn… do you think that would be a problem? With [name_f]Iris[/name_f], I really like the name but I don’t know if I love it with our last name, which sounds like Dots. I think it sounds a little off to me because they both end with an “s” sound. Thoughts?

Such beautiful names! They all seem to fit together well. As for your other questions, I think [name_f]Celia[/name_f] is beautiful and [name_f]Cece[/name_f] isn’t the first nickname that comes to mind like it is with [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]. [name_f]Iris[/name_f] is the name I am partial to, but [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] seems to work better with your last name. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helped and good luck! :slight_smile:

I think [name_f]Hope[/name_f] sticks out as being a word name that feels very American and even sounds a bit dated nowadays; the others all fit lovely together.

I prefer [name_f]Iris[/name_f] to [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] and love both [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] and [name_f]Celia[/name_f], which I prefer would depend on the other names; e.g. I love [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Celia[/name_f] & [name_f]Iris[/name_f] but [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Philip[/name_m], [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] & [name_f]Mary[/name_f]; so the more classic the other names, the more I prefer [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] to [name_f]Celia[/name_f].

Thanks for the input! [name_f]Hope[/name_f] was actually one of the names I was most concerned about not fitting in. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though it appeals to me, for some reason it feels a bit 90’s and not as classic as the others even though it is an old name.

Keep the opinions coming!

When I look at your boys list, I group them like this in my mind: [name_m]Leo[/name_m] and [name_u]Everett[/name_u]; [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] and [name_m]Philip[/name_m]; [name_m]Caleb[/name_m].

[name_m]Leo[/name_m] is both a nickname-name, and a celestial/zodiac name, and has that trendy -O ending, which makes it feel kind of modern, though I know it is equally as old, if not older, than some of your other names. [name_u]Everett[/name_u] is kind of modern simply because of the surname trend and the popularity of Ev- names, and I could see [name_m]Leo[/name_m] and [name_u]Everett[/name_u] together.

[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] and [name_m]Philip[/name_m] go especially well together. I can easily see them being brothers. I see medieval [name_f]England[/name_f], or a witty granddad.

[name_m]Caleb[/name_m] isn’t necessarily an outlier, and overall I think they all go nicely together. I would use [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] and [name_u]Everett[/name_u] first, as you said, but then probably [name_m]Philip[/name_m].

I want to start with the girls by saying I vastly prefer [name_f]Celia[/name_f] over [name_f]Cecelia[/name_f]. They are similar but have very different meanings. I think you could avoid [name_f]Cece[/name_f] as a nickname (for either one) if you firmly but politely ask people not to use that name, but it’s always a possibility. [name_f]Lia[/name_f] could be a sweet nickname for either.

I group the girls this way: [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Hope[/name_f], and [name_f]Esther[/name_f]; [name_f]Gemma[/name_f], [name_f]Thea[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], and [name_f]Celia[/name_f]; [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]

The only name that really sticks out is [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]. [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] definitely feels more modern right now, and the rest of your girls have either a biblical undertone or sort of an upper-class British feel.

I love [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. Honestly, I would use one name from each set - like [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_f]Gemma[/name_f], or [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_f]Celia[/name_f] - before using [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], and I would avoid repeating endings (like [name_f]Gemma[/name_f], [name_f]Thea[/name_f], and [name_f]Celia[/name_f] all ending in A with [name_f]Mary[/name_f] left out). For example, [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Gemma[/name_f], [name_f]Hope[/name_f], and [name_f]Iris[/name_f], or [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Celia[/name_f], [name_f]Esther[/name_f], and [name_f]Hope[/name_f] (both so beautiful!) I actually think the rest of the girls go together very well.

Good thoughts. Thanks!

Anyone else?