Would these names work better with Chauncey?

I went back to our historic episodes and looked for other women I may not have considered as inspiration to name our daughter. The names I have written down at the moment are: [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] and [name_f]Corine[/name_f], but there is a chance that [name_u]Chauncey[/name_u] is a little too out there and puts our girl’s name out of balance.

I am curious to know if very many other people feel the same, because at times I feel [name_u]Chauncey[/name_u] is just underused but not too quirky, and other times I get the sense that it’s too weird for common names like [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] etc.

Other names that I’ve found that could work if [name_u]Chauncey[/name_u] is too much that it overpowers his sister’s name were: [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] (I’m actually aiming for the nickname [name_f]Minnie[/name_f], since that is one of the names of a historic woman I admire) and Rosebud (which is not a name? :thinking: but it was used as one for a woman who inspires me. She was actually the historic [name_u]Chauncey[/name_u]’s daughter).

I don’t know which is the best direction to take in order to name our daughter, but we’re almost decided on [name_u]Chauncey[/name_u] for our son. BTW, we will not be using a middle name for them.

Thank you in advance for your answers. They are read with care and attention all the time, every time.

The only name you mentioned that I personally think doesn’t go with [name_u]Chauncey[/name_u] is [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], I like [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] but I’m not liking the shared “see” sounds, I find it a bit too much. I actually really like [name_u]Chauncey[/name_u] & [name_f]Corine[/name_f] together, I think they sound like a sweet pair!

I like [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] and [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] with [name_u]Chauncey[/name_u]. I think that the others seem a little too “frilly” or “girly” compared to the more unisex [name_u]Chauncey[/name_u].

Here are a few other inspirational women you might like to honor
Maybe:
[name_f]Claudette[/name_f] ([name_m]Colvin[/name_m])
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] ([name_m]Franklin[/name_m]) maybe an alternative to rosebud
[name_f]Ada[/name_f] ([name_u]Lovelace[/name_u])
[name_f]Malala[/name_f] (yousafzai)
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f] ([name_f]Earhart[/name_f])
[name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] (Lange)
[name_u]Billie[/name_u] (holiday)
[name_u]Simone[/name_u] (biles)
[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] (Pankhurst)
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] (O’[name_m]Keeffe[/name_m])
[name_f]Indira[/name_f] (Gandhi)
[name_f]Coretta[/name_f] ([name_u]Scott[/name_u] king)
[name_f]Serena[/name_f] ([name_m]Williams[/name_m])

1 Like

I personally don’t see any issues pairing your top girls names with your top boy name. [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] and Rosebud don’t improve the pairings for me. If anything, they seem to suit less than your top choices since I associate [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] with mythology and Rosebud with the noun.

I think the important thing is to consider what you want to drive your decision. Is the decision led by the names’ meaning and the link to namesakes you admire, or is it cohesion and overall vibe or perception of the sibling set. It’s also good to remind ourselves that once names are attached to people, names take on a whole new significance. [name_m]Prior[/name_m] associations and ideas about a name shrink in comparison to person they are. Be led by your instincts on what matters most to you.

3 Likes

I feel Rosebud is a cute name and would normally say go for it but it doesn’t suit [name_u]Chauncey[/name_u] well! I still very much love [name_u]Chauncey[/name_u] and [name_f]Corine[/name_f]! Since those balance each other out! I think it’s the perfect sibling set for you! I think you were the user who was considering [name_f]Mary[/name_f]! I love the name [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] a lot! Another user mentioned [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] would be too much “virgin” and I have to agree so do consider that! If [name_u]Chauncey[/name_u] is your for sure boy name! Than don’t worry about matching sets and find your for sure girl name! When it comes down to it, both names will become a set since there names you love and chose with meaning and confidence!

1 Like

Oh! I love [name_f]Coretta[/name_f]! [name_f]Etta[/name_f] for a nn!

1 Like

Minerva makes me think of [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], and Rosebud makes me think of Citizen [name_m]Kane[/name_m]. I don’t think either one of those is quite what you were going for!
I love all your other names with [name_u]Chauncey[/name_u] though, so I can see why it’s hard to narrow it down. Here’s my thoughts though.
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] - it has some similar sounds and the same first initial as [name_u]Chauncey[/name_u]. It’s not super matchy but it is the most “twin name” of your names.
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] - it’s a strong name, and one of my personal favorites. That said, I actually like the way all your other names sound with [name_u]Chauncey[/name_u] better! (Not that [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] it bad, it’s just less bouncy feeling, if that makes sense?)
[name_f]Virginia[/name_f] - this doesn’t feel common to me! It’s feminine and strong and I think it works well here.
[name_f]Corine[/name_f] - this shares a same first initial but sounds less like [name_u]Chauncey[/name_u] in case you want to avoid leaning into the “twin name” but still keep a connection between names. I think it sounds really nice with [name_u]Chauncey[/name_u] and it’s certainly not swallowed by it.

1 Like

I really like this pairing [name_u]Chauncey[/name_u] & [name_f]Contessa[/name_f] and you could use [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] for short.

Thank you for your advice. This rings very true! Perhaps we will not come up with two names that make a lot of sense together, but to us they will, as we will know that they were inspired on great people who worked and served our culture. It’s never going to be evident to others, but our children will know :slight_smile: and that is what we want the most.

I will keep [name_u]Chauncey[/name_u]. In my heart, that’s his name already. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband is also taking to it and defended it to the family who criticized it. Our girl name remains a bit of a mistery, but we’ll find something just as precious, just in a different way.

1 Like