Would this be weird?

A friend of mine is expecting a girl and she has been really into the name [name]Carolina[/name] recently. I love the name, but there’s one problem…we live in [name]North[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]. Would this be weird at all? I’m really not sure.

[name]Blaire[/name],

Considering [name]Carolina[/name] is more of a “legitimate” name than other state names - say, Wisconsin - I think your friend is safe! [name]Just[/name] a question - is she pronouncing it [CARE-oh-[name]LINE[/name]-ah], like the state, or [CAHR-oh-LEEN-ah]?

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I dont think it would weird. I actually had a similar question a while ago, naming my future daughter [name]Caroline[/name] or [name]Carolina[/name] and we too live in [name]North[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]. But i dont think it would be a problem. There are people named [name]Cali[/name] in [name]California[/name], [name]Orlando[/name] in [name]Florida[/name], [name]Austin[/name] in [name]Texas[/name], and so on and so forth. I really dont think it would be weird. Maybe some minor teasing, but that’s a big MAYBE. I say go for it, [name]Carolina[/name] is a beautiful name. But if its really going to bug her she could spell it [name]Karolina[/name], its a legitimate spelling, but i forget for which nationality.

Good luck!

She would be pronouncing it like the state.

I love [name]Carolina[/name]! And [name]Caroline[/name] too. This isn’t weird at all. I live in [name]Texas[/name], and I’ve met plenty of boys named [name]Austin[/name] and [name]Dallas[/name]. [name]Trust[/name] me. There’s this one kid named [name]Andrew[/name] [name]Jackson[/name], and he gets teased for the president thing more than the Austins and Dallases do. I think I’ve even met a girl named [name]Abilene[/name]. (City in [name]Texas[/name], in case you didn’t know) She goes by [name]Abby[/name]. Basically, not weird at all.

— [name]Lucy[/name]

Perhaps a good alternative to [name]Carolina[/name] would be [name]Coraline[/name]…

If she is going to pronounce it like the state then i say its a bit weird…I personally wouldnt.
Having said that i dont see anything wrong with (carh-oh-lee-na) even if you live in [name]North[/name] ( [name]CARO[/name]-[name]LINA[/name])

I live in [name]North[/name] [name]Carolina[/name] and my name’s [name]Caroline[/name], and the only time I ever hear anything about it is when I’m in other states and people say “Ohhh, [name]Caroline[/name] from [name]Carolina[/name]!” Really no teasing at all–I think [name]Carolina[/name] would be fine, the only thing to consider is [name]Carolina[/name] the basketball team.