Would this is be weird?

For a completely non-hispanic person with no hispanic background or culture to name their son miguel.

Personally, I would be surprised to meet a [name_m]Miguel[/name_m] who didn’t have some connection to a Spanish or Portuguese speaking place or culture.

4 Likes

i guess i’d be a little surprised, seeing as Miguel isn’t really used outside of Spanish / Portuguese speaking communities.

however, i don’t think it would be weird. it’s not like Miguel has cultural significance (from what i know). i imagine you would be fine.

4 Likes

…maybe?

1 Like

I think it’d be pretty weird. While it has no cultural significance (I mean it’s literally just Michael in Spanish and Portuguese), it very obviously a Spanish/Portuguese name and not very multicultural like say Cruz (another Spanish and Portuguese name), so I think it’d be a bit odd for someone with no association with those cultures to names their kid that. But it wouldn’t be too surprising to see either, while I think it’d be a bit odd, I wouldn’t be very surprised if I saw it

4 Likes

Who am I to judge? It’s a nice name.

I teach many Latinx students and many of them have names from the Middle [name_u]East[/name_u], [name_m]Wales[/name_m], [name_f]India[/name_f], [name_f]Asia[/name_f], etc. I don’t judge their parents for that and I don’t judge you for favoring [name_m]Miguel[/name_m].

3 Likes

No, I’ve encountered a few non-hispanic Miguels and no one thought anything about it.

I just assumed their parents liked the name.

1 Like

Quite unexpected but not crazy. I’d think they just liked the name which is fine.

2 Likes

it would be a little surprising, but i don’t it would be too weird. i think it’s fine, just might be a little off-putting to people.

1 Like

No, unexpected but not weird. I think weird would imply bad in this case.

1 Like

The only [name_m]Miguel[/name_m] I’ve known was non-hispanic so I guess it’s not unheard of for it to be used

2 Likes