Would you break the mold or just settle for name you like?

I am due in [name]December[/name] and having the hardest time coming up with names that I love that go along with my DD’s name, [name]Annabelle[/name]. We don’t know if we are having a girl or boy so we have to come up with one name for each. Everyone suggests old fashioned sweet
names to go along with DD, but I’m not loving any right now. Can I pair a more modern or unisex name with DD and the sib set still be okay? I feel like I am being forced to stay in the traditional old fashioned camp when I might want to venture over and see what the
other side has to offer, and who knows? I just might find a name I love. I just don’t want to have a wacky sibset though. So what are your thoughts? Would you break from the style mold of your 1st child’s name or just try to find a name that you liked that made a
better sounding sib set and settle for it? Any suggestions? Thanks for your help. I am getting so frustrated by this process and just
want to get it out of the way and enjoy the rest of my pregnancy!

i wouldnt say it has to be old fashioned.
i would absolutely not choose a gender neutral name. to be fair to your 2nd daughter i would choose something decidedly feminine whether new and unique (blossom, fleur, vienna) trendy (savanna, dalia, imogen) popular sometime in the past (jennifer, josephina) or the current favorites which are also classic (charlotte, lily)… not my suggestions but i just used those names to illustrate what i am saying. i just dont think its fair to name her riley, addison, charlie when her sister’s name is beautifully feminine

i would wonder how many people outside of naming boards judge names as a ‘sib set’? i think you could find a nice balance with something with a more modern touch - i think being happy with your choice is more important than settling anyhoo!

[name]Don[/name]'t be hemmed in by you first daughter’s name. Children are only considered part of a ‘sib set’ while they are children (1.e. 16-20 years). They spend most of their life as adults (i.e. 55-60 years), and very often the people they deal with have no idea what their siblings are called, let alone care whether they “match”. Having a name that compliments or works well with sibling names should absolutely be one of the last things to consider, and should always be overridden by factors such as the sound of the name, the meaning of the name, and whether the name reflects what the parents want it to reflect.
Having said all of that I would avoid names that are overly matchy or rhyming with sibling names.

Have you tried Nymbler? I’ve gotten a few good suggestions with it. Nothing I hadn’t heard before, but it’s a good way to see names in the same style.

[name]Don[/name]'t settle on a name, choose one you love. I agree it would be best not to go unisex or masculine given how feminine your other daughter’s name is. However, you can definitely choose something modern, spunky even, that is still clearly a girl’s name.

The whole idea of matching sibsets is not something I find important so much [name]IRL[/name], compared to the attn it gets on message boards.

I had honestly never heard of the whole sibset name thing until I started lurking around name forums/sites. So I think you will b okay. As previous posters mentioned, I don’t think that choosing a more modern name would be bad at all. However I wouldn’t go for a unisex name for a girl, as annabelle is such a beautiful girlie name and a second daughter might feel left out. So anything modern, but decidedly feminine would be fine [name]IMO[/name]

I really like what everyone has said! The only thing that I would mention is that while you shouldn’t be tied to a particular style because of [name]Annabelle[/name], it’s a very feminine name, so if you choose something like [name]Emerson[/name], there will be a lot of people who assume that [name]Emerson[/name] is the boy. But realistically thinking about how often that would be to happen is a better question. It might happen when the child is a baby because people can’t always tell. When she is older and in school and things, so she’ll only have to deal with the usual pains of having a unisex name as a girl. But when are any of these times a function of what the other daughter is named? Not very many it seems.

I wouldn’t worry about it matching your sib set! As long as the names don’t rhyme I think you’re fine. They can definitely be different styles. I just wouldn’t use a very unisex name with annabelle because your other DD will often be mistaken for a boy when just seeing the two names on paper, kwim? But you can definitely go for a more modern type name if that’s what you like.

Thanks for your replies. My husband rolls his eyes when I mention sib sets! He doesn’t see why they have to go together. I too wonder in real life if people really notice sib sets that much. I know I am just a name freak and notice things like that, but do Normal people?
haha.

I have tried nymbler and picked up a few names from it. I guess as long as I try to stay with a feminine sounding name I’ll be okay. I
had been liking [name]Zoe[/name]/[name]Zoey[/name] for a few days (but I change my mind every few days too) and then DH’s favorite right now is [name]Quinn[/name]. I told him it is considered unisex, but now you see more girls than boys wearing the name. He doesn’t like it as much for a boy and is leaning
towards [name]Lucas[/name], [name]Cooper[/name] or [name]Wyatt[/name]. He doesn’t like the old fashioned sounding names like [name]Simon[/name] or [name]Oliver[/name] and has a comment about every one I throw at him. But for girls the list is not narrowing down as easy because I over think them all and want DD’s sister to be happy with her name. [name]Annabelle[/name] was also an old family name on both sides of our family so it worked out great, but now there are not really
any other family names that we like as first names, more like middle name possibilities.

So if your sister’s name was [name]Annabelle[/name] you feel like you would want a name just as feminine as hers? I don’t want anything over the
top like [name]Penelope[/name] or [name]Genevieve[/name] or [name]Juliet[/name], but I don’t want something as common as [name]Lily[/name] or [name]Emily[/name] (although I do adore them, we already have 2 or 3 in the family). What do you suggest? This is so hard. I just don’t know what feels right. [name]How[/name] do some women know their
baby names as soon as they find out they are pregnant? Oh, how I wish I was like that!!

[name]Just[/name] choose a name you love. I don’t think that sibling names have to “go together” (which is completely subjective anyway) and most people outside of naming message boards probably don’t even think about it.

Another idea is to look at names from the same origin (french) if you’d like… But don’t box yourself in. Make a huge list of names you like and are instantly drawn to as well. [name]Don[/name]'t over think- just add it to the list. See what names appeal and pick what you really love. I adore the name [name]Annabelle[/name] and with her I can see [name]Claire[/name], [name]Rose[/name] (or some variation), [name]Vivian[/name]. Look for names from all origins as well- The Scottish variation of your DD is [name]Annabel[/name] and so I think a Scottish name would go wonderfully with your [name]Annabelle[/name]. [name]Rory[/name] perhaps. Try searching names with meanings you like, what sounds good to your ears and give you a good feeling. I think [name]Zoe[/name] is wonderful too. :slight_smile: Have fun!

Hmm, feminine but not frilly, not common, maybe with a modern feel and fits with [name]Annabelle[/name]…lets see what I can come up with!:

[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Ada[/name] (if you don’t mind matching initials?)
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Bridget[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Brooke[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Cara[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Carys[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Cassia[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Claire[/name] (popular but lovely and simple)
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Claudia[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Clea[/name] (clay-uh)
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Cleo[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Darcey[/name]/[name]Darcy[/name] (unisex and yet feels very feminine to me due to ballerina [name]Darcey[/name] Bussell)
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Delaney[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Eden[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Esme[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Everly[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Freya[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Hadley[/name] (more unisex)
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]India[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Lana[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Lara[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Leila[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Lila[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Lola[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Liv[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Lyra[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Maya[/name] (I know this one is popular but they match so well and it feels modern to me)
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Marlo[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Milla[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Nina[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Nola[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Oona[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Samara[/name] (feminine but with the unisex nn’s [name]Sam[/name] or [name]Sammie[/name] as possibilities)
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Seren[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Tessa[/name] (perfect to me!)
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Thea[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Zara[/name] (a more unusual alternative to [name]Zoe[/name]?)

Sorry if there are too many!! [name]Hope[/name] that helps :slight_smile:

thanks for all your input guys.I can understand where you are coming from and it is making me feel not so boxed in with names. ljandrl-thanks for the long list. There are a few I am considering. I just don’t know how to know if I love a name. I think I might one day and
then the next I’m out of love with it and moving on to something else I like. I feel like I really love [name]Lily[/name], but it is already in use in our
family (although DH said we can still use it) and still pretty popular. Although I am not really as concerned about popularity as much as I was with DD because I understand the percentages better this time around. For a while after DD was born I kept crushing on the
names [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Natalie[/name] and thought I would use one of them for another DD, but once I found out I was pregnant again so
soon, I couldn’t commit and made myself go back to square one so I wouldn’t overlook any name, and once again put myself in mass
confusion.Poor DH… I make this such a hard process --it is a wonder why he even wants kids with me at all!

I love [name]Lucas[/name] for your boys name

With [name]Annabelle[/name] I like;

[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]/[name]Emilia[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Elena[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Leila[/name]/[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] you like some of these?

[name]Annabelle[/name] & [name]Maren[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] & [name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] & [name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] & [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] & [name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] & [name]Ramona[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] & [name]Nadia[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] & [name]Olive[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] & [name]Livia[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] & [name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name] & [name]Lenora[/name]

I think if you just relax and remain open to possibilities, the right name will come to you at the right time. [name]December[/name] is months away, so you have lots of time.

That is some freaking excellent advice. It must be said. Thanks, [name]March[/name].

WDYT of

[name]Rachel[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]/[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Leah[/name]

just some ideas:-)

I know sisters with the names [name]Amanda[/name] and [name]Spencer[/name]. One is feminine and popular for her birth year and the other is unisex and not popular for girls at all, but they work together. [name]Spencer[/name] was an important surname in their father’s family so that’s why it was chosen. I know a few families whose sibset doesn’t match because one of the names is a family name and the other is a name the parents just liked. I don’t see a thing wrong with it. My cousin has 4 kids named [name]Michael[/name] (named for his dad), [name]Austin[/name], [name]Haven[/name], and [name]Bryn[/name]. To me [name]Michael[/name] is the odd one out, but no one else ever seems to notice. I’m just a name nerd like that. I say choose what you love. Good luck!