Would you dare?

I’d use them in a heartbeat

If I genuinely loved the name, then yes. But if the association was very obvious then I would probably restrict it to the middle name slot, because I would worry that it might inspire jokes.

For me, it’s [name_m]Draco[/name_m]. This is positively my most treasured name, but due to connections, it constantly gets moved on and off our list.

That was until the other day, when my partner said if we have a son there is no other name that compares to [name_m]Draco[/name_m] and he feels that in the long run we would regret not using it. So it’s here to stay. Sure, when we get the chance to use it, everyone will be more than open to share their opinions, but at the end of the day, it will be our child, and our choice.

If you truly love a name for its meaning and its background, I would encourage you to look beyond the reason it’s well known, in some instances, the movie or the book may only be popular for the time being and it’s hype may die down.

In saying that, please don’t just name your child something because you like the character. Research the name, and fall in love with that not just the actor who portrays the name :slight_smile:

Absolutely! I use names from books as inspiration all of the time :slight_smile:

I would, but with ones like [name_m]Neville[/name_m] (Longbottom) or [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] ([name_m]Granger[/name_m]), I’d put them in the front spot. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, I would if I liked both the name and character. For example, with [name_f]Hermione[/name_f], I like the character but not the name. With [name_f]Bellatrix[/name_f], I like the name but not the character. With [name_f]Coraline[/name_f] and [name_f]Luna[/name_f], I like both the names and the characters. :slight_smile:

If it was a good name from something fairly classic- I wouldn’t do HP or GOT, but [name_f]Narnia[/name_f], [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m], Arthurian legend, novels prior to about 1960, etc.? Absolutely! I have friends who are brother and sister whose parents were huge Arthurian legend fans, so their middle names were [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] and [name_m]Merlin[/name_m]- I always loved that!

Most definitely, and to be honest I think you’d struggle to a name that’s not in a book/film even as a minor role.
Technically, you could class biblical names in this discussion.

Well, that’s true, but I think the OP is talking about names with no real history or associations beyond one pop culture reference. Names more like Renesme (however it’s spelled!), [name_f]Katniss[/name_f], and [name_f]Beyonce[/name_f] than [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_m]Trevor[/name_m], and [name_f]Anne[/name_f].

As for me, I probably wouldn’t use a name like that unless it was extremely important to DH and safely hidden in the middle.

Like pp, it would depend on the name, the character, & the sound of the name. I’d definitely use names from LOTR, but most of them would most likely be mns rather than fns. I think using Éowyn or [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] as fns would elicit the “Oh, you’re such a LOTR geek” reaction, but using Laurelin or [name_f]Elanor[/name_f] as a fn wouldn’t get that reaction (but more than likely people would think it’s [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] misspelled!).

I would dare, though not with [name_f]Katniss[/name_f] which sounds like cat piss to me. [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m] is a tragedy and I’m not big on the [name_m]Romeo[/name_m], [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], Capulet, [name_f]Medea[/name_f], [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], [name_f]Niobe[/name_f] trend. Reneesme is an abomination and Voldemort sounds like something growing on cheese.

To me, right. To others they may sound lovely.

Aslan is too much god for a name. [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] or [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] or Avonlea are much more my speed!

I’m a lover of middle names that are a little bit ‘out there’ and I would totally use a name of a character. I’m currently trying to fit [name_m]Gatsby[/name_m] into one of my combinations.

I’m thinking of using [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] (Stardust character)

I knew one girl with the name Prudance nn [name_f]Prue[/name_f] we all know that tv show Charmed with [name_u]Shannon[/name_u] Dorethy. I really liked that name and it was usable. But names like [name_u]Arya[/name_u], [name_f]Sansa[/name_f], [name_u]Bran[/name_u], Therion, Deanyres, Khaleasi ore what ever it is… It has the [name_m]Rocky[/name_m] vibe… Boy’s who got that name in the period when the movie was popular … You think by yourself poor child!

But calling your kid now at this time and day [name_m]Rocky[/name_m], it is totally awesome and the link with the popular movie is gone. I think it is the same with the Game of thrones names and other very popular movie names…

Often I judge the parents and not the kid when it comes down too names.