Would you intuitively shorten Eloise?

Would you intuitively shorten [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] on a young adult / adult (as supposed to a child)?
If so, what would you shorten it to, and how long would it take for you to shorten it?

Thank you!

1 Like

I don’t think I would shorten it

4 Likes

Maybe I’d try out/intuitively go for [name_f]El[/name_f] if [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] became a close friend.

4 Likes

I don’t think so. It would depend what she tended to call herself. I have heard [name_f]Loie[/name_f] (low-ee) and think that’s cute!

1 Like

[name_f]Ellie[/name_f] :honeybee:

I really love [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]!

But the [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] I know doesn’t shorten her name.

1 Like

No, probably not. It rolls of the tongue smoothly and easily as it is :person_shrugging:

Perhaps if I knew them very well, I might consider El/Elle or [name_f]Lolo[/name_f] as an occasional thing - but, if they hadn’t introduced themselves as such, if I hadn’t known them since they were a child, personally, I would just use [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]. (which I have done for both Eloises I’ve known)

3 Likes

I only ever shorten a name if someone introduces themselves as such. If I had an [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], I wouldn’t shorten it, though I might call her LoLo occasionally for fun.

1 Like

@sammaegre @EdgeOfTheMeadow @katinka @tori101 @Greyblue @DCAT
Thank you for your input!
[name_m]General[/name_m] consensus I’m getting here is that [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] generally won’t be shortened which is a relief. The occasional [name_f]Elle[/name_f] is fine, but as [name_f]Grace[/name_f] said, [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] does roll off the tongue, and personally it’s too pretty to be shortened :joy:
I don’t mind [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], as long as it isn’t constant (and an affectionate nickname rather than a common shorten)

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]! I wouldn’t shorten [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] unless she has a nickname she’d like to be called. If I have to I would use [name_f]Elle[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Lulu[/name_f], and [name_f]Lola[/name_f]

1 Like

Intuitive nickname for me is Elo. Pronounced on the emphasis on the lo, not on the E.

I also think of secundary nicknames: Elou, [name_f]Essy[/name_f], [name_u]Elie[/name_u] (eh-LEE, not ELL-ee), Eloì (like [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] without the se)

I would use Elo with teens and children or even young adults to quicken it, and the secundary nicknames like Elou, [name_f]Essie[/name_f], only if this [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is my friend or close friend and I would wanted to do it for affectionate reasons, not for shortening reasons.

Eloulie, Elola, Essalou, only if this [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is really really close and I was kinda joking or being very affectionate.

I would not, unless she introduced herself with a diminutive.

I’ve only ever known one and she was Elu/Elou most of the time (which I think is so pretty!) and occasionally [name_f]Elle[/name_f], so those feel intuitive to me. I think if I was close friends with an [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] I’d instinctively call her [name_f]Elle[/name_f] out of affection.

I wouldn’t shorten it unless she specified something. [name_f]El[/name_f] would be the most natural shortening, I think.

You mean you’d call her a nickname even if she didn’t tell you to call her that?

I definitely wouldn’t! The only [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] I know doesn’t shorten her name.

[name_f]Elle[/name_f]

I knew an eloise (however, she was a preschooler, not a young adult) and I never once considered shortening her name!

@lilyofthevale No, I don’t think I would shorten [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] unless I was specifically told that she wanted to go by a shortened variant of her name. In that case, I would ask what she would want to go by and use that. If she didn’t have a preference but still wanted a nickname, I would probably use [name_f]El[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_u]Lou[/name_u], [name_u]Lu[/name_u], or [name_f]Lola[/name_f] (because of the strong -o sound. (My choice would be based on Eloise’s personality and what I felt fit her best.)
But generally, I don’t think it is as easy or as intuitive to shorten [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] as it is to shorten [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. I was thinking about why I feel that is, and decided that it’s because I think the letters in each name blend a little differently. When I say [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] aloud, the strongest sounds/letters are the -ea blend in the middle and the -o at the end. When I say [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], the strongest letters/sound is the -lo blend in the middle. I LOVE both names so much! When I say [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] aloud, there is a slight pause between the ending of the -ea sound and the beginning of the -n sound. [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] has a more fluid pronunciation for me with little to no pause in between the sounds.

I hope this helps! It was fun, thank you!

I think it would be fairly intuitive to me to shorten a 3 syllable name to its first syllable every now and then and not exclusively, if we were close friends, as I said above. However, if she did not like being called [name_f]El[/name_f] I would not carry on, I’d respect her wishes about her name.

1 Like

I’d probably shorten it to [name_f]El[/name_f] or [name_f]Lise[/name_f] if she was someone whose name I said often. All my family members have at least three shortened versions of their names that I call them :rofl: so maybe it’s just me lol.

1 Like