Would you let popularity stop you...

from using a name that you loved??

Boy name

I’ve fallen in [name]LOVE[/name] with the name [name]Noah[/name]. I’ve always ‘liked’ it and thought it was a nice name, but it never made my list due to popularity. Well…I just saw “the notebook” for the first time and I have fallen head over heals in love with this name.

Other names I like (along the same lines) are [name]Ezra[/name], [name]Jonah[/name], and maybe [name]Leo[/name]. But I don’t get the same feeling from these names as I do from [name]Noah[/name].

Would it be weird to have only one child have a biblical name? Plus we’re not even religious…hmm, I think it should be ok.

Girl name

Sooo, sticking to “the notebook” theme, of course I’ve fallen for the nn [name]Ali[/name]! ;). But with the full name [name]Alice[/name]. I’ve always loved the name [name]Alice[/name], but felt it was a bit simple and also I didn’t like the nn [name]Ali[/name]. However, now that this is no longer an issue, this name has resurfaced, and in a big way! I think this name is a class, sweet, and anything but boring! Also, it’s not too popular which is nice.

Another girl name that I looove is [name]Emma[/name]. I know, also super popular, but I can’t help it, it’s such a sweet, simple, gorgeous name.

[name]Sib[/name] set

[name]How[/name] do you think [name]Noah[/name] and/or [name]Alice[/name] sound in MY sib set? ([name]Robby[/name] and [name]Violet[/name])…and btw, how do I create a siggy??

[name]How[/name] do you think these names sound as sibling? (if I ever have another boy AND girl)

[name]How[/name] does [name]Noah[/name] and [name]Emma[/name] sound in a sib set?

Thanks!!

I know EXACTLY how you feel about [name]Noah[/name]. I am so madly in love with the name. I think if it came down to it and there wasn’t a name that my husband and I loved more, I would absolutely go with a name in spite of popularity. As for the sibset, I think [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Noah[/name] are wonderful together! [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Noah[/name] work also, but I really love [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Noah[/name].

Oh, and I do think that [name]Noah[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] work wonderfully with [name]Violet[/name]. I’m on the fence about with [name]Robby[/name], but I think if [name]Alice[/name] is called [name]Ali[/name] then you’d have two kids with a bit more playful names and two with a bit more reserved names. And to create a signature, I believe you go into User Control Panel, which is at the top of the page when you’re in any community section. Then click on the Profile tab and choose [name]Edit[/name] Signature. Voila! Good luck with putting in a signature!

Thank u!! I think I figured out my siggy now :slight_smile:

And I know right?? I have fallen so in love with the name [name]Noah[/name]. And I never go for super popular names, but this one just might be the exception.

Oh and I see what you mean about the sib sets… I kind of like the other names in full, but you never know what their friends will do later on. Nn’s tend to evolve and I’m ok with that.

What I like is that neither of the names are modern or made up. And could work for a set in the 1920’s or one of today! :wink:

Also, I find the name [name]Robby[/name] very sweet, to me, it goes well with the other names. Plus the long O sound is nice with [name]Noah[/name] and [name]Violet[/name].

I don’t know though, just thinking things through! I think my favs are [name]Noah[/name] [name]James[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] [name]Lily[/name], [name]Alice[/name] [name]Daisy[/name], and [name]Alice[/name] [name]Daphne[/name] to keep that flower connection between the girls

Yes, I would let popularity deter me. I prefer less-popular names for two reasons. The first is that my name is one of the Top 5 for my generation, and I absolutely HATE that it’s so commonplace. I always have to specify my last name to distinguish me from all the others in the workplace/social gathering with my same name. Second, I teach high school, and it can get absolutely chaotic. It’s actually become a running joke with my husband, who refers to each school year by the most commonly repeated name: the year of [name]Nick[/name], the year of [name]Kayla[/name], the year of [name]Hannah[/name], the year of [name]Hunter[/name], etc.

When I fall in love with an uber-trendy name (I had a years-long affair with [name]Stella[/name], which is also my great-grandmother’s name, but finally abandoned it out of sheer disgust with all the [name]Stella[/name]-[name]Ella[/name]-Bellas in my neighborhood), I try to find something with a similar style and feel that isn’t so done.

I hear you about not going for an ultra trendy name, I wouldn’t want to do that either, unless I loooved the name. My DD’s name could possibly fall into the trendy category, but I don’t care! hehe

I think it’s the same way for my top girl and boy names. I feel that they are popular but not trendy, kwim? They are classics right? That’s what keeps them as number one for me at least :wink:

I also have a hugely popular name for the year I was born and I will never do that to my child no matter how much I love the name.

On the other hand, there is a reason those names are popular and [name]Bertha[/name] and [name]Melvin[/name] are not.

Well, I ended up picking a -bella name for my daughter without even considering nickname possibilities of the top names back in 2009. We thought we would call her [name]Ari[/name] because my husband didn’t like [name]Bella[/name], [name]Belle[/name], or [name]Ella[/name]. She arrived and he didn’t stand a chance. He immediately started calling her [name]Bella[/name]. It just seemed to fit. [name]Even[/name] though I knew there would be tons of Bellas in her future, she still had a relatively unique name with tons of other nn possibilities. What mattered most was that we loved the name and it fits her so well.

I’ve always liked [name]Nolan[/name] as a possible alternative to [name]Noah[/name]. Different style maybe, but there’s a bit of a connection since both names begin with No-. You could also consider other biblical names like [name]Elijah[/name] or [name]Josiah[/name]. They still don’t quite compare to [name]Noah[/name] for me, though :expressionless:

YES. I’m terrified this will happen. I’ve loved the name [name]Violet[/name] since I was thirteen years old and I’m not planning on using it for another five-ten years. I’ve noticed it being used a lot more lately and I’m afraid it will be the new [name]Isabella[/name]. :?