Would you name your child a name that you LOVED even though

…that was your dog’s name (or your husband’s dog’s name 10-15 years ago??? And, the pet is no longer living???

DH had a dog named [name]Jasper[/name] about 15 years ago and that name is really growing on me.

Would you do it?

I think I might. My family’s had dogs called [name]Gemma[/name], [name]Marcus[/name] and [name]Cassandra[/name] (and Brownie, but I don’t think I’ll be wanting to use that one!) and all of them are names I really like, especially [name]Cassandra[/name]. I think if it was a name that my partner and I both loved, I could possibly get over the dog connection and very quickly it would become the child’s name. Unless the dog was still alive, in which case I do think it would be too weird.

I would still consider the name, particularly if your husband doesn’t feel weird about it. The longer its been (since you or he had the dog), the easier it is to use the name.

Personally, I love the name [name]Jasper[/name], and I would use it if I had the chance. I like it as a unisex name.

Thats so funny that im reading this! I named my kitten [name]Paloma[/name] after 2 months my partner said I needed to change the kittens name because he wants to name our daughter [name]Paloma[/name] (Im pregnant). So the kitten is now named [name]Pearl[/name] but we are having a boy!! lol. If we ever have a girl I wouldn’t hesitate to use the name [name]Paloma[/name]. If your hubby is ok with the name and the dog is long gone I say go for it. Ps i love [name]Jasper[/name] but took it off our list when i met Three toddlers in one month with that name.

Funny you should ask. First [name]Jasper[/name] is a great name!
My dog’s name is [name]Lola[/name], she is 3 years old and probably has many years ahead of her. I love the name [name]Lola[/name] and think it fits really well with my daughters names. I would seriously consider using it for a girl if our dog didn’t currently own this name. I’ve even joked about changing her name to something else just so we could use the name [name]Lola[/name]. [name]Just[/name] a joke of course because after 3 years the name really has stuck. :wink:

If your partner is okay with using the [name]Jasper[/name] I say go for it.

Merylp - I’m surprised [name]Jasper[/name] is so popular in your area. I’m sad but happy at the same time, It’s a great name I’d love to use but my husband doesn’t like it. At least there will be a few cute little [name]Jasper[/name]'s running around.

Hell, I’d name the kid in honor of the dog! I spent my childhood with a miniature dachshund named [name]Niles[/name] who just recently passed away this year, and I would totally name a son ‘[name]Niles[/name]’! Not only is it a great name, it has a great association in my heart- as a kid, that dog really was my best friend, and I accord his memory enough respect that I’m not averse to naming something precious after him.

Other dogs we’ve had or currently have with cool names…[name]Daphne[/name] (as in ‘[name]Niles[/name] and…’ hehe), [name]Zena[/name], [name]Lucius[/name], Strider, Katyusha, [name]Sonny[/name] [name]Pierce[/name], [name]Melody[/name]…

I would be willing to name my child a pet’s name if I loved the name and the pet. My husband [name]Kent[/name]'s family had a dog named [name]Andrew[/name] nn [name]Andy[/name] for many years. It was very odd that [name]Kent[/name]'s mom named the dog [name]Andy[/name] because [name]Kent[/name]'s middle name is [name]Andrew[/name].
But I really wanted to name our second baby [name]Andrew[/name] for his middle name if he or she had been a boy. But she turned out to be a girl. The dog’s name would not have stopped me.
I had a kitten named [name]Evelyn[/name] and would still use that name. Same with [name]Tony[/name]. My kitty’s name is [name]Moses[/name]. [name]Moses[/name] wouldn’t go with my last name.

Disa_lian, Yes I do know quite a few Jaspers it is a very up and coming name in Los [name]Angeles[/name]. One Japer is an only child, another [name]Jasper[/name] has a brother [name]Oliver[/name] and the last has a brother named [name]Zephyr[/name]. I think that like [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Winfred[/name] and winston nickname [name]Win[/name] will be getting more and more popular!

Possibly, yes. I know someone who loved the name [name]Chloe[/name] so much that she named 2, yes 2, of her dogs [name]Chloe[/name]. Then named her daughter [name]Chloe[/name] (she came about 10 years after the second [name]Chloe[/name] passed).

Sometimes I wonder if I should be paying more attention to the trends in bigger cities than the trends in my area. “[name]Win[/name]” names that interesting too. I guess I should leave the name [name]Winter[/name] ( a family name) alone.

my dogs name is Roxlynne, I love her name lol.

Well I had a boy dog named [name]Knox[/name]…and I love the name. He lives with another part of the family now…so I think it’s fair game to be in my child names.

This is interesting.

I think I’d consider it. My dog’s name is [name]Jack[/name] and I really like that name. My mom used to have a cat named [name]Nina[/name], and that’s one of my favorite names. I’d use either if I were to name a kid.